Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
With icons like Wonder Woman there's a sense that no one can stack up as a love interest unless they have history (like Steve Trevor). It's especially hard with Wonder Woman since she doesn't lend herself to mundane "my boyfriend this, my boyfriend that" soap opera drama.

That said, I do like the chemistry that's been shown with Nemesis. And JLA hinted that she's going to be invovled with a mortal...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Judy Picoult on writing Wonder Woman. Is it true she's only the second female to write WW?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Drake,

As I think about it, one of the potentially interesting story lines with Wondy that I don't remember EVER being addressed is her lack of familiarity with men. I read every Perez issue, and I don't recall it coming up, really.

I mean, she grows up on an island of all women, women who really don't like men very much. So, is Diana attracted to men? If so, would she really know what to do to woo one? I think you could do some fun, interesting stories around this topic without getting to racey. Maybe she could go to Element Lad and Phantom Girl for dating tips?

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I read # 7, and am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I'll definitely hang around for Gail Simone's run.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Though it's a bit of Circe-overload, I enjoyed this month's WW. I quite like Tom Tressor as a partner for Wondy-- whether it really becomes *romantic* partner is still to be seen. I think I'd support it.

The Sarge Steel/Everyman/Nemesis stuff is a bit confusing... just who's disguised as who, again?
It's a minor subplot that's still integral to the story.

I enjoyed Athena's cameo, here. So the Greek gods are accessible. That'd good to know.

It seems they're once again refocusing Diana's role in the DCU. This issue, along with AMAZONS ATTACK, would seem to be forcing the character to choose whether she's allied with humans or Amazons.

Circe's machinations here result in apparently forcing Diana's hand-- kill her mother or be killed by her. We'll see if that cliffhanger resolves itself differently next week, I suppose, with the release of AA#2.

I look forward to the establisment of an ongoing creative team with a vision for the character including a settled supporting cast and a setting that's at least recognizeable from month to month. I hope Themyscira's a part of that background, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's in the cards.

After AA, how about no Circe for at least a year?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Drake,

As I think about it, one of the potentially interesting story lines with Wondy that I don't remember EVER being addressed is her lack of familiarity with men. I read every Perez issue, and I don't recall it coming up, really.

I mean, she grows up on an island of all women, women who really don't like men very much. So, is Diana attracted to men? If so, would she really know what to do to woo one? I think you could do some fun, interesting stories around this topic without getting to racey. Maybe she could go to Element Lad and Phantom Girl for dating tips?

Joss' movie script explored this. His WW was strong and intelligent but naive in the ways of mans world. He wanted to explore her misunderstanding of our views and sensibilities for much of the humor in the script while maintaining her mastery of the martial (military) arts and show that she is also well educated.

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Sequential Tart interviews Gail Simone re: Wonder Woman.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
I like her attitude about being forced to work in crossover crap. That's been the downfall of many an interesting story in any number of books (Jimenez's WW and Hawkman come immediately to mind), but she seems to have a good handle on it.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Delayed!! Hmph. I was looking forward to it, too.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I contacted DCBS and canceled #13 from my August preorders. [Razz] Gail's the only futzin' reason I'm picking this title up.

And why isn't DC doing more to promote her taking over?! Waid gets a much-publicized return to the old numbering with The Flash, not to mention the All-Flash special... [No]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Heinberg got more promotion on Wonder Woman, and he didn't come close to living up to the hype. I'm expecting a bunch of WW ads in the next month or so.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, the board's now cleared for Gail Simone with the release of the annual. There's a new status quo for Wonder Woman that gives some purpose to the Diana Prince identity thanks to Circe. Doesn't really match up with AMAZONS ATTACK, however.

I loved the spread of all the villains attacking. I devoutly hope that Ms. Simone makes use of some the lesser known characters depicted here, instead of laying it on with Cheetah, Dr. Psycho and Circe.

I have no doubt that each of those mainstays'll appear, but I'd like to see some of the lesser lights shine, too.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Oooooo I'm all a twitter. Tomorrow we see Gail's first issue.

Newsarama has a few articles up, but DC hasn't done any promo work. That's odd...

I'm calling it now:

Wonder Woman and Gail Simone take the week!

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Gail is hit and miss with me. I loved Rose & Thorn and Villains United and Secret Six. But her JLA Classified arc was ruined by a terrible ending, and I read one of her Birds of Prey arcs and just couldn't see what the big deal was.

I thought Gail's first Wonder Woman issue was okay. My favorite scene by far was the conversation between Hippolyta and the mystery prisoner who wants Diana dead. I'm intrigued to see where that goes.

The main plot kinda left me cold. Geoff Johns already used Nazi villains less than a year ago in the opening arc of the JSA relaunch, and I think they're no more effective here. The ape jokes didn't make me laugh (I think she's often heavy handed with the humorous bits) and her portrayal of Lt. Col. Etta Candy shows signs of dangerously drifting into Mary Sue territory.

But the biggest flaw to me is that Gail is the latest WW writer who just cannot get me to care about Diana herself, which is especially dissapointing because I thought one of the positive qualities of her JLA arc was a portrayal of Diana that actually made me like her. Now, I don't know whether she wanted to obliterate the spy game setup of the two previous writers and editorial wouldn't let her, but it's not working any better for me.

I still think Donna should have been a permanent replacement (thanks for nothing, Allen Heinberg.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Gail is one of the few writers I'm really trusting to entertain me and please me these days, so I'm excited. In a way, her writing reminds me of PAD in the early 90's (when viewing it from the angle of why I personally enjoy her work).

Looking forward to it. Wonder Woman has been unreadable since Rucka left, and was virtually unreadable for years before he came.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.