Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!? (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!?
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
So do we know what the actual plan once the current series is cancelled and L3W is over? Is there anything on the schedule for 2009?

We do not. There is not.

Many people are speculating, some with theories more plausible than others. My theory is that DC doesn't know what it's doing next and that it could be a long, long time before they decide.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
So do we know what the actual plan once the current series is cancelled and L3W is over? Is there anything on the schedule for 2009?

We do not. There is not.

Many people are speculating, some with theories more plausible than others. My theory is that DC doesn't know what it's doing next and that it could be a long, long time before they decide.

I'm with you, brother... I still can see a Levitz/Giffen book coming up before long, but as for a monthly, I don't see that for some time. And not even Johns will make it much stronger than Shooter's.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
So, let me get this straight:

- The Legion FINALLY gets public exposure with a cartoon, which had reasonable ratings and was only canceled due to business dealing...they even had McDonald's toys

- DC FINALLY decides to clean up the long running LSH continuity mess and bring back the more popular originals, creating a 5 part mini-series of 40 pages PER VOLUME (200 pages, a novel!!!)

- Plans are in the works to FINALLY have a live version of LSH characters, in the form of a Smallville episode...

And you all are saying that, in the aftermath of all that, they are going to cancel the book entirely??? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I think any citations on sagging sales figures should be normalized to the OVERALL change in sales figures for ALL DC books...I imagine with the economy the way it is, people are probably buying a lot less comics in general.

I don't know what those figures would be, nor am I an insider in any way... but I just think that it is highly counter-intuitive that they'd put so much effort into the LSH, then drop the book entirely, when for years they made 1 and even 2 titles a month that weren't even very popular.

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
Nobody is sure what will happen after Lo3W. There may be an ongoing book with the Johns Legion, possibly a LoSH title or Action. There also may be a time when the Legion is a back-up or shares a book. We just don't know right now.

I do agree with you that it would be weird, after all events that have increased the Legion's visibility in the DCU, to have no Legion book at all. However, DC's handling of the Legion has not been very logical. Just the fact that most of the efforts you have described involve different versions of the Legion. If DC had made a concerted attempt to promote a single Legion in all arenas, it would have helped. Instead, there is the cartoon Legion (which bears no real resemblance to any version), the Johns' Action Legion (which is not yet developed), and the Threeboot (which has received virtually no promotion whatsoever). It seems to me that DC had a golden opportunity to use the cartoon to promote the Legion comic, but failed miserably. Since the Johns Legion is obviously the one that will come out of Lo3W, I hope he makes the Smallville characters consistent. (I have to admit some disappointment with using the founders only, as is rumored. While I think hardcore Legion fans will enjoy Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl, I think there are other members who would be more intriguing to non-Legion fans. There powers seem pretty basic, especially considering viewers saw Cosmic Boy's and Saturn Girl's powers used in the X-Men movie. I would rather see more Legionnaires, along with a broader display of powers and non-humanoid beings.)

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Is the message from DC purely based on Lo3W running late and they don't want to announce anything until it's finished its run (or at least have a creditable date for the series finishing).

It would be crazy to have a Legion V6 starting in Feb if Lo3W #5 doesn't hit the shops until March or April (or May or June.....)

Let's hope DC have a Legion V6 waiting to roll off the presses.

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Reality check and recheck:

"We've got a lot of plans and a lot of thought for the Legion right now, but coming out of the Legion of 3 Worlds, we're going to let the characters rest for a little bit and see where we go from there," he [Dan Didio] said.

So Newsarama asked DiDio: Is it possible there will be a Johns-penned series featuring the Legion of Super-Heroes in the future?

"You know what? I think we'd love Geoff to write everything right now. But realistically, he's got a pretty full slate with everything that's going on," DiDio said. "He's got Flash, Green Lantern, JSA, Action, and specials coming up because this thing called Blackest Night is looming. But I'm sure that the Legion will stay close to Geoff and near and dear to him as well, and you'll probably see some of them appear through some of his runs down the line. I don't want to give too much away. But there's always plans for the Legion. " They're an important part of the DC Universe. And more importantly, I think we've done a great job with the story. I think Jim and Francis have done a great job bringing it to an end. And after Legion of 3 Worlds, there will be more opportunities, so we're going to explore those after that series concludes."

I don't think Didio could be more straightforward. The monthly series is being put to bed with #50. The entire Legion franchise goes for a rest after LO3W. Some of the characters will "probably" appear afterwards in Geoff Johns' other books down the line (he's not sure). Johns is unable to write an ongoing Legion series in the near future (which GJ has confirmed independently). Some fuzzy hints of other (unrumored) plans, but for the present time, DC is going to "see where we go from here." and explore other opportunities -- which in plain English translates as "We don't know exactly what to do yet, so don't hold your breath."

If some folks want to interpret Didio's remarks more optimistically, that's their perogative, but there's little evidence for it. The only project even to be mentioned as a tenuous possibility after LO3W is a Levitz/GIffen arc, but at last mention Levitz wouldn't committ to it for lack of time. Maybe some tie-ins with Bedard's L.E.G.I.O.N. There may very well be other ideas floating around in the Didio's head, but another monthly Legion series would not appear to be one of them.

[ October 14, 2008, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Tromium ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Reality check and recheck:

"We've got a lot of plans and a lot of thought for the Legion right now, but coming out of the Legion of 3 Worlds, we're going to let the characters rest for a little bit and see where we go from there," he [Dan Didio] said.

So Newsarama asked DiDio: Is it possible there will be a Johns-penned series featuring the Legion of Super-Heroes in the future?

"You know what? I think we'd love Geoff to write everything right now. But realistically, he's got a pretty full slate with everything that's going on," DiDio said. "He's got Flash, Green Lantern, JSA, Action, and specials coming up because this thing called Blackest Night is looming. But I'm sure that the Legion will stay close to Geoff and near and dear to him as well, and you'll probably see some of them appear through some of his runs down the line. I don't want to give too much away. But there's always plans for the Legion. " They're an important part of the DC Universe. And more importantly, I think we've done a great job with the story. I think Jim and Francis have done a great job bringing it to an end. And after Legion of 3 Worlds, there will be more opportunities, so we're going to explore those after that series concludes."

I don't think Didio could be more straightforward. The monthly series is being put to bed with #50. The entire Legion franchise goes for a rest after LO3W. Some of the characters will "probably" appear afterwards in Geoff Johns' other books down the line (he's not sure). Johns is unable to write an ongoing Legion series in the near future (which GJ has confirmed independently). Some fuzzy hints of other (unrumored) plans, but for the present time, DC is going to "see where we go from here." and explore other opportunities -- which in plain English translates as "We don't know exactly what to do yet, so don't hold your breath."

If some folks want to interpret Didio's remarks more optimistically, that's their perogative, but there's little evidence for it. The only project even to be mentioned as a tenuous possibility after LO3W is a Levitz/GIffen arc, but at last mention Levitz wouldn't committ to it for lack of time. Maybe some tie-ins with Bedard's L.E.G.I.O.N. There may very well be other ideas floating around in the Didio's head, but another monthly Legion series would not appear to be one of them.

I agree with you, Tromium, but I can also see some space for a revamped Action Comics with LSH as cameo characters. Not a new series, but "return to secondary characters" to Superman.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
...and, as so many have been so tight-lipped, this could be a smokescreen.

If the idea is to put LSH to bed for a while, then why have L3W at all?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
The idea of "putting the characters to bed" is ridiculous. I mean, we're not talking about Doom Patrol here--we're talking about a title that has a decades long history of continuous publishing at DC that exceeds the track record of, say, Wonder Woman or Teen Titans. Plus, as many have said, this is about as critcal a mass as the Legion has had since the Baxter series. What a bunch of crap. I do hope it's a smokescreen, but if it is, it's the worst kind of bait and switch poor salesmanship I've seen from a comic book compnay in a while, and that's saying something.

Rereading the thread, I think the JSA comparison is a good one--fractured history, characters that don't seem to fit well elsewhere in DC continuity--but until a team like Robinson and Johns comes along, are we screwed? I'm feeling screwed right now...in a remarkably unpleasant way.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
Aaaugh, I agree that the quote from Didio does NOT sound good....

although, if instead you embolden:

"I don't want to give too much away. But there's always plans for the Legion."

you can walk away much more optimistically

Also, it makes sense (as Silver Age Lad points out) that nothing will start until after LO3W ends...

Perhaps even, they are (shock!) FINALLY going to ACTUALLY base their decision on reader REACTION ... which they often say, but never actually happens, if one examines the timing of when projects would have to have been initiated and compares them to when reaction would have been received... so this does of course require waiting and patience.

I'd be willing to go Legion-less for 6 months if I knew that at the end of it, I'd get something
a) good
b) (for me personally) something respectful of the "traditional" LSH
3) something that will LAST for awhile!

An idea: - perhaps they are considering bringing
LSH back to the NEWSSTAND, rather than comic-shop only? For that to work, it would help if parents recognized it...ergo, the "Johns" Legion..but it would also help if it was recognizably related to the toon.

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I just reread the entire Shooter run thus far. Like TMK, it reads better in a single sitting.

Now I actually will miss this version, but I'm still convinced we will see the Neoclassic Legion in its own book after L3W.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.