Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kid Prime's room! (Page 80)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 86 pages: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86   
Author Topic: Kid Prime's room!
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, what a crazy summer.

After a lot of soul-searching, I decided last spring that my life needed to do a backflip, so I screwed up my courage and marched myself down to UAB (University of Alabama - Birmingham,) depositing myself in the undergraduate computer science advisor's office. I found that day, to my wonderment, that I only had to complete 15 classes for a BS in computer science, since my previous major (music!) would serve for my core and minor requirements in its entirety. Well, it didn't take an Acme advil hitting me on the head for me to figure out that it was time for me to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start again. So I signed up for CS 201 (Intro to object-oriented programming in Java) Soon, I found out that I needed another class this summer to meet my financial aid requirements. So I took a deep breath and also signed up for the only class I could (since the other computer classes in the program were barred to me through prerequisites.)

Calculus 2.

Freaky, considering Calc 1 was taken 12 years ago at Ole Miss. So I gleefully quit my job waiting tables. That's right. No more waiting tables.

I'm not a waiter, I'm not a waiter, nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah....

Of course, wouldn't you know that I would find a job dishing up breakfast and lunch in a huge office building's cafeteria. 6-2 every day, Monday through Friday. The funny thing is, it sounds a lot worse than it actually is. It's actually not a bad job! Certainly humbling and greasy, but not bad.I have to remind myself every day that the reason I'm there is because it fits into my schedule like a glove, and what a schedule it is!

Monday: 5 AM, get up. 6-2, work. 3 - Intro to programming. 5:30 - Calc 2. 7:00 - gym. 8:30, get home, have dinner, study. 10:30, bed

Tuesday through Thursday, wash, rinse and repeat.

Friday, I just work in the morning and afternoon.

And then the weekend (Saturday morning computer lab!) for catching up on my homework and study.

So it's intense. I am busier right now from a time standpoint than I have been probably ever. I can think of a couple of semesters in music that came close, but... geez!

I'm loving it. And I'm in the best shape physically since around 2000. I still want to lose about 20 more lbs, but I've lost 40 or so since Jan. 1.

It's weird being an undergrad again when chronogically, I ought to be a grad student now. I miss music, but I had to make a reasoned decision about the market for singers. It's slim pickings, as opposed to the market for computer software engineers / programmers, which is pretty huge. That's what I'm going to tailor my degree towards, though of course it being a 4-year CS degree I'll have plenty of admin type stuff to complete as well.

The good news? I finish in fall 2006, or worst-case, I have one of two classes to take in spring 2007. I'm up for a nice grant-funded scholarship for this fall (fingers crossed.) And best of all, I'm finding that I'm loving programming. I'm just SOOO busy.

There have been some unexpected twists and turns; I was unprepared for how hard this schedule would be on Lee and my relationship. I guess it's always this way for couples in which one goes back to school, but it's been difficult. I was pleasantly surprised that I don't feel like a grandpa in my classes at all. I don't feel like a returning student. Maybe it's my willingness to accept change.

Anyways, I wanted to write in and let y'all knkow what has been going on with me this summer. I have 3 weeks left to this summer term. I'm sitting on an 87 in my programming class, and an 82 in calculus. I'm confident I can nudge the 87 up to an A. As for Calc 2, if I can hold on to that B, I'll be happy. So let me get back to studying for my programming test on Tuesday now...

Y'all take care.

[Optimus Prime]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! It sounds like things are going really well, Kippers! Good luck with everything!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeff I applaud your dedication. I really envy having the willpower and stamina to take those kind of courses, work and keep your relationship going. My hat is off to you.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, and apparently you have enough time to run off to SDCC real quick and pull off a caper. [Smile]

Twice so far at the con the license plate off the Transformers semi has been stolen. What does it look like?

Click for fullsize image

Can you account for your whereabouts today? [Smile]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

And don't forget to check out those mudflaps. [Love]
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Kippers! I'm glad that you're having a blast. My hat's off to you for having the courage and perseverance to do all that.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Congratulations on taking these big steps in your life! I know it couldn't have been easy, but I'm glad it's paying off. Big congrats on the weight loss too -- I can't imagine having to work that hard and not indulging. Hal Jordan's got nothing on you in the willpower department!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
It sounds like everything is going great Kippers! And busy too, but I don't think that's ever a bad thing. Calc is as scary to me as giant zombie sharks, but it sounds like you're doing really good at your classes and have found a major that you really enjoy!

It's a fun (although often stressful) experience when lots of things are changing all at once in your life, and I'm glad it feels like there's a sense of everything getting better and going your way!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... I actually think giant zombie sharks are less frightening than regular giant sharks...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, I do too! Sharks might be the thing that scares me the most on this Earth.

But typing 'giant zombie sharks' sure is fun!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
What does Prime's wife think of this strange fascination for sharks?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Best of luck with everything, KP!

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Jeff, my respect - and admiration - for you grows by leaps and bounds.

Looking forward to chatting with you again, real soon, matey

Brian

PS: Kippers? sounds veddy English to me....

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jetta
Misfit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jetta           Edit/Delete Post     
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
From: Misfits Music | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
OK, who let Yoko in?

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 86 pages: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.