Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Barry: Costume Designs? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Barry: Costume Designs?
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Barry,
Thanks for being such an active, generous participant on this message board.
Definitely got my interest up for this new iteration of the Legion.

You had mentioned on another thread that we could ask you questions about the character's costumes.

I guess I just wanted to make a space here for it.

--andy

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll start: Star Boy, Lightning Lad, Phantom Girl, Dream Girl, Karate Kid, Projectra - all leapt out at me. Very hyper-modern, reminescent but not slavish to the superhero prototypes we're familiar with.
A few stand apart - Saturn Girl is clearly seperated from the others, stylistically; Brainiac 5 stands apart technologically; Lyle is clearly more 'explorer-adventurer' than superhero IMO; Chameleon Boy is bald (I think that's how one refers to antannae-less Durlans).
I was more concerned with the "Star Wars"/"Lord of the Rings" blends on Triplicate Girl and Element Lad. What's up with that?

THANKS
--andy

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Andy
Thanks!

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to as far as Triplicate Girl goes... her look was really an amalgam of her previous costumes for me...with a few new touches to emphasise the ability to triple herself.

With Element Lad I wanted to reflect his personality...of course you'll have to read more to discover that... but I thought his almost magical ablility to transmute elements suited a cape well and the symbols on his costume are a mixture of old alchemical signs for the elements and a few I've created for elements that have been discovered since the 20th century out in space. They will also alter from time to time, again echoing his power - something we're introducing is clothing with changing images ...it's bound to happen soon! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
With Element Lad I wanted to reflect his personality...of course you'll have to read more to discover that... but I thought his almost magical ablility to transmute elements suited a cape well and the symbols on his costume are a mixture of old alchemical signs for the elements and a few I've created for elements that have been discovered since the 20th century out in space. They will also alter from time to time, again echoing his power - something we're introducing is clothing with changing images ...it's bound to happen soon! [Smile]

Barry, I'm a little wary about you taking Element Lad on the mystical/magical route but I suppose it's a lot better than the whacked-out space cadet or insane demi-god route. Thank you (and Mark) for restoring Element Lad to life.

Regarding costumes with shifting images -- it's a great idea and you might consider taking the concept even further, like clothing that changes color depending on the wearer's whim. I imagine 31st century clothing would have a variety of built-in tech including telecommunications, a mathematical calculator, a basic knowledgebase, and personal security and entertainment systems. German designers are already producing prototype jackets with integral cell-phone and mp3 technology so it's not too far off.

I'm also very curious about where you're going with all the gentech references. It sounds like a society where there is a great deal of security, but very little personal privacy. Do they practice eugenics?

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S

Barry-

The changing images are great -and probably add some fun to your work. Now Cham's little geometric shapes make a lot of sense (though the balding thing... - i'll take a 'wait & see' on that).

An alchemical bend to Jan's character/culture/powers is a logical outgrowth of previous incarnations, as is the shifting costume/colors/shapes on him. It puts my style-sense to rest knowing that, like everything else around Element Lad, his costume will change.

I thought Triplicate Girl was wearing a hooded outfit like in Star Wars or something, but it was just real dark on the bus last night. I'm looking at it in the daylight - and you made no such custume. A trick of the light and excited bouncing eyes.

By the way, the more you talk, the more excited I get (and I'm fairly certain most of the others do too). The way you talk about the factors you took in designing EVERYTHING - from characters to costumes to the environment - reveals an immense knowledge & love of the Legion, and an inspired creative process. Your amalgamations - in the short bit that's been released - are fun, complex, fresh and remain true to the heart of it. For me anyway.

Thanks for the info and all the hard work -- you must be having a blast putting your mark on the 30th century. It's good; and it's gonna be great, right?

--andy

[ October 07, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: 235 - Andy S ]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Barry a quick thought for the FUTURE.

The costumes with the glowing energy ROCK. Sun Boy's emblem, Garth's lightning, etc.

Also seems like a nifty idea for a group of future superheroes, also is pretty different IMO, and can be made into a trademark for the Legion.

What if they all had their emblems glow a certain color? Obviously some more than others (like Dirk and Garth). But Vi having a small symbol patch on her shoulder that glows, etc.

Plus kids would probably love that. [Wink]

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad
Secret Honorary Auxiliary Substitute Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not-So-Bad Lad   Email Not-So-Bad Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hello Mr Kitson, sir. Not to bother you, but a few of my favorite characters are missing from the reboot at this point. I'm not going to whine about it (I have other boards to do that in), but I was wondering: If you were to design costumes for Matter-Eater Lad, Ferro Lad, and Chemical King, what would they look like in this reboot?

--------------------
"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot

From: The Evil Anti-Moon!!!! | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I got the Special today and enjoyed the preview. I was taken back a little with some of the costumes. I guess my question to you Barry, When you design a costume..What is your process??

By the way..I loved Empire!

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
 -

Element Lad? I like him with the chin hair and apparent blue underoos. The red and yellow is too much like Sun Boy. Sure the blue/yellow is too much like Dr. Fate...but the Doctor isn't on the team. [Wink] Plus blue/yellow are complimentary.

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Andy - I can't imagine any greater compliments about my Legion work - thanks! [Smile]

Hi Tromium - good call on the nature of society, but you'll have to 'wait and see' I'm afraid as far as your specific question goes. [Smile]

I hope I haven't misled about Element Lad, we aren't literally treating his power as 'traditional magic or mystical' in nature. It was just that his abilities and living in a universe where everything can change or be changed so fundamentally at his 'whim' - seemed to me his perspective would be quite removed from the norm of those living in a 'standard' physical world. (Sorry about all these woolly terms). Anyway, so I wanted something that suggested his mind might work on a slightly different plane to many of the others - and a more elaborate, hinting-at-mystical approach seemed a good way to go.
It will all get clearer as we go along...I hope [Smile]

Glad you like the 'shifting-images' idea!

Hi Jorg-El - Glad you like the image shifting idea too and the glowing effects - these are already in place as you'll see more in #1! [Smile]

Hi Gold Leader - no bother at all! To be honest - each costume takes me a day or two to come up with playing with ideas and seeing what works etc so I can't really answer your question....yet [Smile]

Hi Stragazer - well I guess really I start by trying to get clear in my head what the essence of the character is - personality, powers, etc. Then factor in environment and motivation. With the Legion generally we knew they wanted to look like super-heroes, rather than say 'scary-warrior-types' we knew they were in the 30th so that needed to be reflected. I also wanted to at least 'tip the hat' to the previous versions of the characters...and in the case of some I felt I loved the costumes so much I hardly wanted to change them at all! Lastly in the case of a group of heroes and especially in Legion's case I was trying to come up with a range of costumes that would pass the 'silhouette test' - so that hopefully each character will be recognizable and distinguishable from each other even if you only saw them in silhouette. Finally, I guess I also try to come up with designs I think will be fun to draw!

How close I got to achieving all these aims is, of course, going to be debatable - but overall I'm pretty happy with how they all look...but don't be surprised if a few tweaks occur as we go along! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Regarding Element Lad. I've always seen his powers as purely scientific but he is a very "spiritual" character...which makes things interesting.

Kinda of the oppossite of Marvel's Black Knight...a scientist with a magic sword, etc.

Barry...i love the glowing stuff!!!

Jorge

doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry, is there an overall theme for the costume designs that will come through in the stories?

Running with Waid's SCA analogy, do the Legionnaires research heroes of history and develop costumes representative of their favorite anachronisms?

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Barry, I'm grateful that you've at least given serious thought to Element Lad's personality. The character's perspective *is* different for the very reasons you state. Levitz suceeded in revealing the alien aspect of his nature without making him a wierdo but, needless to say, later writers took exploited his differences in a completely different manner. That's what scares me, I guess, but I'll leave him in your good hands for now.

I assume the shifting images also apply to the costumes of Chameleon Boy (as he morphs) and Lightning Lad, among others. I love LL's neon glow but I imagine it could be quite taxing on the eyes of his fellow Legionnaires after a while. [Smile] The glitz also suggests you're bringing back the "showman" (as Shooter once described it) aspect of LL's personality. Saturn Girl's neck-to-toe coverage, when most of the other females are showing skin, implies she's as repressed as ever. Light Lass's sassy outfit reveals her inner "spark" despite the power change. I look forward to hearing your take on each character, once you're ready to reveal your thought processes.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Hi Jorge - It is indeed that 'spiritual' side of EL that I wanted to express in his costume. [Smile]

Hi Doublechinner - Yes there is an overall theme, issue #1 will contain more answers to your speculation but careful examination to the background details in some pages of the preview will go someway to giving you an answer [Wink]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm cross-posting this from the main Legion thread. Thanks for the time you've taken to respond to us, Barry. It does make a difference to many fans.

OK-- here's my Calling the Roll for the new costumes...

LYLE: I'm sure a headband's a' comin' since I'm guessing this outfit's casual.

ATOM GIRL: Uh-- guess we can't believe everything we read (ie-- Vi being hidden from the rest of the team). Glad the green's in her costume and not in her hair.

PRINCESS PROJECTRA: Does 'princess' meet the standards of the boy-girl-lad-lass committee? What is that atop her shoulders and behind her head? I like the purple with her white hair against it.

KARATE KID: Puzzling race change since Asian characters are even more under-represented in the Legion than blacks. Guess he could still be south Asian or Polynesian, come to think of it. Costume-wise... I need to see a full pic.

SATURN GIRL: Maybe she'll look more modern in full-figure. A glowing Saturn emblem? I'd imagine Cos's uniform would look similarly simple if seen in a pic as tiny as Imra's.

DREAM GIRL: Like the top... can't quite make out the pants/leggings.

PHANTOM GIRL: My fave of this batch. She looks in costume and in pose the part of a diplomat's daughter (assuming she still is one...) fresh from finishing school here . I appreciate the stylized 'P' and the matching black gloves. Looks she's got *long* hair.

ELEMENT LAD: Red/orange and yellow are a definite change for Jan. I'd still like to see a pastel blue and green uniform for him, but I'm intrigued by the symbols and the cape. I kind of wish he had curlier hair...

COLOSSOL BOY: Kind of boring... it'd be interesting if detail appeared in his costume when he was at taller heights that doesn't show in his six-foot state.

TRIPLICATE GIRL: I liked the coat-skirt better. It could've been updated to orange instead of the cape. On capes, in general... yes for E-Lad, Shady, Star Boy and Projecta... no for Saturn Girl and Luornu.

SUN BOY: What happened to his red hair!? Hope this is an effect of the 'glow' the Legionnaires seem to be traveling in. I think his original costume from way back when just can't be beaten.

COSMIC BOY: Very 'New Gods'ish. I like it. But there really should be some metal on it *somewhere*. He looks like a young William Shatner to me, here.

LIGHTNING LAD: Love the glow. Not sure about the lightning stripe down the arms, though.

LIGHT LASS: Hmmm... it's been *so* long since we've had a Light Lass. Don't dislike this, but I'm not particularly fond of it either.

BRAINIAC 5: *Really* don't like the crew cut or the olive green.

CHAMELEON BOY: Weird symbols... appearing alien... just looks wrong without the antennae. Maybe he has to earn them?

STAR BOY: Great looking character design and costume.

SHADOW LASS: Longish Lousie Brooks bob. Very stylish. Wish she could have 'peekabo' cold shoulders like Tinya. I think the pale skin is caused by the 'glow' (generated by the flight rings?).

Can't wait to see Lyle's uniform and the owner of the mystery-boots.

Please visit the Time Institute here on Legion World for CALLING THE ROLL for each Legion-packed issue.

Thanks,
Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.