Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Barry: Costume Designs? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Barry: Costume Designs?
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Hiya Barry

I [Love] your art in the preview, and am really looking forward to whatever is to come.

I've got a few questions/ comments about the costumes we've seen so far, hope you don't mind.

My first one is about Nura's leggings - it looks from the little we can see on the splash page as if they have ciruitry in them - is this to reflect the idea that Naltor is a centre of High Science (and from that we can infer that she's being returned to her former technical brilliance?), or is she just wearing groovy techno-pants?

The group on the whole look fantastic! Ayla, Brainy, Thom (?) and Jan are especially gorgeous. Not too sure about Shady - she reminds me off Halle Berre in Xmen.

Hope you have every success with this new interpretation

Bxx

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi B - thanks!

Nura's leggings have a cloud/sky design on them - intended to reflect the visionary nature of her powers and their 'intangibilty' - the pattern will shift rather as Star Boy's star field will.

Hope that makes sense - with a bit of luck it will all come together when you get to see a clearer image of her. [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valor the M'Onell
Anything but a marvel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valor the M'Onell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Barry I also have some questions:
Is this Star Boy really Thom
Is Colossal Boy the official code-name or is Micro Lad?
Who's your favorite Legionnaire to draw?
Is it possible for Superboy or Mon-El to show up under your run?Not straight away of course

From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Valor the M'Onel - I wish people had shorter names on these boards [Smile]

The first couple of your questions are 'wait and see' answers I'm afraid...at least one will be answered in #1 [Smile]

I don't have an absolute favorite, I'm pretty happy with most of them... and haven't had enough chance to draw all of them yet to form any definite 'first choice'.

ANYTHING can happen in the new book! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow - it's great that you've braved the possible perils of Legion World to give us an insight into the creator's side of the beginnings of the 'new' Legion.

I must say as an avowed Star Boy fan, I was (to put it mildly) surprised to see Thom's (if it is indeed him!) new look. I hope that Mark will retain Thom's true hard-luck (but still upbeat) attitude, rather than having him descend into 'angry black man' stereotypes.

But that's beyond your control, and I wanted to talk about the new costumes, which I assume are... [Wink]

Once I looked beyond the (arbitrary?) race change for Star Boy, I saw a great costume. I don't normally like capes on superheroes (the Invisibles will demonstrate many of my sentiments, from clips I've seen), but you've given Thom a dynamic look that I can't wait to see in action. How do you do the starfield effect? Is it a Photoshop image dropped into an area and modified? Is it a secret artist trick? Is it done by colourists after your pencils are done?

Cosmic Boy - love the new look. Very streamlined. I wish that look had been carried across the rest of the team, but I'm more of a fan of the 'uniform' style of Legion suit rather than the 'home-designed' look that the new Legionnaires will have.

Lightning Lad - AWESOME!!!

Chameleon Boy - while some lament the loss of antennae, I like the new look. Some put him down as a 'Muppet', while I consider that a bonus.

Brainiac 5 - very stern. Very Vril Dox. Wanna see more.

Light Lass - Excellent! Sassy! Sexy... [Wink]

Sun Boy - Ummmm. He looks like he left the HQ half-dressed. I'm just sayin', is all. [Smile]

Dream Girl - I like Nura to seem a bit more regal, but this look is fresh and energetic. Can't wait to see Moving-Cloud Pants in action!

Phantom Girl - If it was a pure white, I'd say it was perfect. As is, it's merely fantastic. [Smile]

Colossal/Micro Boy/Lad - I like it. Looks dangerous.

Karate Kid - I wanna see more, but from this I like the looks of things. KK should have loose clothing. Very cool.

Triad - Wanna see it close up. Like the cloak.

Shadow Lass - Excellent. Love the dark look. Tell the colourist to give her some blue tho.

Element Lad - Excellent. Can't wait to read more about this version based on your look for him. And see those roving symbols. [Smile]

Princess Projectra - Very regal, yet sexy. C'est magnifique!

Saturn Girl - Ummmm. I'd be happier without the cape.

Atom Girl - I wanna see her close up! (As usual...)

Invisible Kid - is that his permanent look? If so, I like the minimalism.

All told - excellent designs, Barry. It'll be a pleasure to pick up your Legion week after week... provided Mark holds his end up to the standards you've set. [Wink]

Thanks for putting up with the ravings of a resident Aussie Legion Worlder!
Cheers,
[Star Boy] Wayne [Star Boy]

[ October 11, 2004, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Star Boy ]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Hi Wayne - Thanks!
Glad you like the majority of the costumes!

I'll be honest - Mark and I always work together on the stories, so changes and characters are our collective responsibility...
#1 will answer your questions about Star Boy's character [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Barry,

Will you be able to put up scans of your sketchs for us in the near future or will you wait until the first issue is out?

Thanks

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
The only 2 I don't like are Saturn Girl's and Projectra's....

The rest are awesome!!!!

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Hi Valor the M'Onel - I wish people had shorter names on these boards [Smile]

You can shorten them if you like. Lots of people do around here.

quote:
Originally posted by Star Boy:

Atom Girl - I wanna see her close up! (As usual...)

Not that it'll do any good, but me too! [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Thanks Danny! [Smile]

Hi RTVU2 - I'll try to post them ASAP, but with the trip to Wizard World coming up I'm pushed for any spare moments right now...lots of drawing to do, but I hope it'll be before #1 hits the stands! [Smile]

Hi Arachne - You'll have to be patient for that close-up, sorry [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
06.43?? And checking Legion World, [Eek!] Barry thats over and beyond the call of Duty. [Big Grin]

Seriously thanks for checking in so often and letting us know "some" of whats going on. It really is appreciated.

one thing, can you let slip any news on whats going to happen to my particualr favourite, Saturn Girl? She is still going to appear pretty regularly isnt she?

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I did some of the energy glow stuff. Had a bud (RatonPier) animate them for me. Not the look I was hoping for. Not the "fluid" look Barry described above and what I was hoping for. Lightning Lad I can see a bit more animated but the others a fluid animation of Dream Girl's pants and Star Boy's stars...Ultra Boy and the others maybe just a steady glow.

Anyways here they are...

http://www.geocities.com/legion_of_super_heroes/microlegion/updates/updates.html

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I want to second what Darden (Faraway) said above. We really do appreciate the time you've been taking to check in and answer what questions you can Barry. Your interaction with us, even when are not at our most polite, is just short of amazing.

Thanks!

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry's great!

[Lightning Lad - Re-Imagined] [Saturn Girl - Re-Imagined] [Cosmic Boy - Re-Imagined] [Triplicate Girl - Re-Imagined] [Phantom Girl - Re-Imagined]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
[Chameleon - Re-Imagined] [Colossal Boy - Re-Imagined] [Invisible Kid - Re-Imagined] [Star Boy - Re-Imagined] [Ultra Boy - Re-Imagined] [Brainiac 5 - Re-Imagined]

[ December 03, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.