Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Welcome Francis Manapul! (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Welcome Francis Manapul!
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
You've got a great future ahead of you!

Would you consider trying to convince TPTB to turn some of your Legion covers into a set of posters?

It's been a long time since DC put out a Legion folder.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Acid Digestion Lad
Legion hopeful

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Acid Digestion Lad   Email Acid Digestion Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Francis, I can't wait to see what the full cover of Action you did looks like. Although I can guess anyways. Loved seeing your artwork on the Origins and Omens stuff.

Oh if you ever run into Adam Schlagman by any chance tell him Jud Matos says hi.

From: Bismoll, baby! Yeah!! | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Guess where I'll be from 11:30-12:30 on Saturday, July 25th during SDCC.

quote:

Saturday, July 25th

11:30-12:30 Spotlight on Francis Manapul
The hot up-and-coming artist Francis Manapul takes the stage to discuss his kinetic art on one of the most anticipated projects of the year: Adventure Comics with Geoff Johns! Hosted by Group Editor Matt Idelson see what’s it like illustrating the return of Superboy. Come find out from one of the freshest artists in the biz! Room 4

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
<== is jealous.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Acid Digestion Lad
Legion hopeful

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Acid Digestion Lad   Email Acid Digestion Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
...Damn you Nightcrawler..I want to go to that one XD! I might make the one for Geoff Johns tho XD
From: Bismoll, baby! Yeah!! | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Stop taunting us!! [Razz]

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
Spotlight is available at DC Comics site. He does talk about Legion tangencially, comparing how much easier it is to work with Johns and that he didn't want to work with group characters for a while.
More here. I wished he talked more about it, but it seemed it wasn't much of a subject to talk about.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed that panel and commend DC for making those SDCC podcasts available - and so quickly.

Listening to Francis talk about Adventure actually got me quite psyched for the Superboy stories. He really seems to love working on this book and the enthusiasm just spills over.

One comment he made really struck me, it was the hook for me to look forward to Superboy. He mentioned that as a Canadian, he might have a different view of the United States, the sort of classic American farmland that Smallville represents. (Not his exact words.) That preview scene of Conner, Ma Kent and Krypto looking out over the fields (here) to me was so nostalgic, an image of everything I want to love about America - and Superboy/Superman, all the idealism. So if some of that comes across in the book, I'll be happy.

It was also quite interesting to hear that he didn't use a computer, except for some corrections, and felt that this was more in keeping to produce that classic America feeling.

Plus there's going to be lots of Krypto, and you've got to love "a boy and his dog" stories.

As primarily a Legion fan, I would have liked to hear more about the Legion, too, especially his ideas for how the story or characters might have developed. We do love speculation and rehashing the Legion!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matter Lad
What is a madman, but a broken genius?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matter Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Matter Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I am really enjoying seeing you around the DCU! Keep up the good work!

--------------------
My homepage
Jus ad Bellum
Shinto

From: Saginaw, MI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
The Legion of Substitute Podcasters has a huge interview with Francis Manapul up here. Strongly recommended!

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Just wrapped up listening to the podcast linked above and I second Matthew's endorsement.

It's 3-hour interview with Francis talking about the behind the scenes details of his Legion and Adventure runs, to include his relationships with Shooter and Johns, character and costume designs, a synopsis of the original plans for the Legion beyond the issue 50 cancellation, and his take on current trends in comic art.

This was a great interview, and brought my afternoon work productivity to nil. [Smile]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That was a wonderful interview. With 3 hours, they were able to cover a wide range of subjects. His development as an artist and within the comic book industry was very interesting.

With respect to the Legion, I thought the whole pacing question was particularly relevant, given the glacial pacing of the current co-feature Legion.

If he had problems working with Shooter's script style, it sure didn't show in the finished product!

Some of the things he mentioned, like Gazelle becoming less alien-looking, I missed - and will have to go back to those issues.

The second-year plan sounded great, and he tells about the intended resolution for the Projectra story (which was kind of sad, but as he said, the seeds were planted right from the beginning of the 3boot).

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Kramer
Substitute Podcaster!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Kramer   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Kramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you very much for listening to the show! It was a ton of fun to record. Francis was such a great guest and probably would've kept talking! He was very forthcoming and personable. If you ever get a chance to talk to him at a con, definitely do so!

--------------------
Check out the Legion of Substitute Podcasters!

http://www.legionofsubstitutepodcasters.com

From: Grafton, WI | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

I wonder if Matt Kramer and I are related in another dimension!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
After hearing the interview, I'd be interested in reading a Legion comic written and drawn by Francis.

Despite his inexperience with the concept, he seems to get what the readers want to read about the Legion. Maybe next time.

Or maybe he can return to co-plot with Paul? :dream:

[ October 10, 2009, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.