Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The New Writer Is (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The New Writer Is
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know Bedard's work but I wish him luck. Ditto whoever comes after him.

Do we know for certain there is *not* another permanent creative team waiting in the wings?

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
*sigh* LSH is the Verdun of DC assignments.

As long as it isn't the Fort Zinderneuf.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I like Negation so this might be a good chance for a writer like this to get the legion out into space and fighting some serious nasty's, rather than the "Earth gets invaded" stuff.

But i am sorry to see waid go, he loves the legion and has come back twice to give it a go. A lot of the concepts he has introduced are interesting and I would have liked to see where he could have taken them.

Shame "the internet" seems to be such a negative influence on creators.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Refresh my memory. When was Waid's last run(s) on the Legion?

I've been a pretty strong critic of the writing on this book, but I didn't want to see Waid leave. I think he did a lot of good for the Legion and just needed more time to iron out the wrinkles. I also would've liked to see less of the big 3, Brainy, Cos, and Imra, and see more of the rest of the crew. When was the last time Colossal Boy, Projectra, Triplicate Girl, or any number of others got any decent screen time for instance?

I too am afraid this is the beginning of the end of the Legion's latest boot. I predict an endless parade of creators trampling through the book, accompanied by falling sales and ultimate cancellation. Woe is me.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, DC seems to be planning to make the Legion more visible in the main DCU, and 2008 marks the 50th anniversary of the Legion's first appearance.
So I guess it's safe to say that it won't be cancelled especially if they decide to give the book to big name writers/artists permanently or at least as permanently as anything is in comics nowadays.
Bedard is a good writer. I hope they'll get a good artist too.

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Refresh my memory. When was Waid's last run(s) on the Legion?

Waid was the editor on the first few issues of the 5YL Legion, and the co-writer for the first years or so of the post Zero Hour Legion (basically, through the whole White Triangle arc).

My biggest fear as that Bedard's run is basically just going to be filler, and we're just going to be stuck sitting around waiting for the next big creative team to take over for the 50th anniversary.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

A valid fear, Eryk.
Still, Legion is going to be 50, Superman will be 70 next year, and the Legion is intricately woven to the Superman mythos. It'll be in the spotlight along with Supie, so DC has the opportunity to really make this anniversary a special time for the Legion and push it to the Top Ten again!
Hopefully, not with another re-boot (Four-Boot?)

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Now, now. Mr. Waid *knows* how crazy LSH fans are, so he'll get no boo-hoos from me. He knows where he messed up (Dream Girl's "dead-or-is-she?" death being a primary example).

Really, we aren't so hard to please, it's just that this is the third 'boot of a comic that should never have been totally rebooted to begin with. Hopefully, the finale of "52" will solve all this and the multiverse will be back in full force, restoring the *real* LSH. :teehee:

Anyhoo, we'll see what happens.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

I live for that day MMLASH! Still,I hope the new writer will build on the good things that Mark Waid brought to this version of the Legion about which we talk in this here topic.

(But the bratty-attitude-and-proud-of-it has to go! I still feel alienated and mildly disturbed by that. Almost like I had no right to enjoy the "teen" Legion because I'm an old coot!)

Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Hopefully they will DE-Boot The Legion back to the original Pre-Crisis characters that lasted for 30 plus years for their 50th anniversary,With the cartoon going strong and the Anniversary coming up it's the perfect time to get rid of all the Lame Copies and bring back the Real Legion (anywhere after Wildfire joins but before Karate Kid dies) and put them in Dave Cockrum Costumes.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Heheh. If I had a penny for all the times I've fantasized about it Lone Wolf! My fantasy is a new team of writer/artist who will turn out to be the new "Paul Levitz/Dave Cockrum/Mike Grell" who
will either extrapolate from and upgrade the original designs and characters, or create a new uber-futuristic look bringing the Legion into the 21st century in full force! New costumes, old and new villains, old and new Legionnaires, with the classic Legion spirit.

And I hope we never, ever, ever see shoulder pads, utility belts, and trenchcoats again! (Boy, do I get passionate!) [Big Grin]

I'd better face it though. I hope the new writer will love the Legion and give us good stories, but even if the new Legion is a Mr Mxyzptlk-meets-Punisher-meets-Sailor Moon version, I'll still buy it.

[ March 17, 2007, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
Hopefully they will DE-Boot The Legion back to the original Pre-Crisis characters that lasted for 30 plus years for their 50th anniversary,With the cartoon going strong and the Anniversary coming up it's the perfect time to get rid of all the Lame Copies and bring back the Real Legion (anywhere after Wildfire joins but before Karate Kid dies) and put them in Dave Cockrum Costumes.

Pardon those of us who were not yet alive when Cockrum was drawing the Legion. Heck some of us weren't reading yet in the period you cite.

Are our Legions less valid than yours? Can you make your point without being disrespectful of any material created after 1984?

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Quite so. I have absolutely no feeling whatsoever for the current Legion, since I don't read it and I never will - although I think the *idea* of a second reboot was horrid, ergo the "don't read it and never will" - but "MY" Legion is the 1994-2004 team, and I would be just as uninterested in a Return To Pre-Crisis.

[ March 17, 2007, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

You know, I think what's really magical and wonderful is that each of us feels his/her own Legion is the best. I wholeheartedly believe that's a wonderful thing, and quite unique in comics fandom. The impact this comic book has on its readers, how much it touches and inspires us.

No Legion is more valid than the other, in my humble opinion, and all versions had something good to offer (yes, even my least favorite of them all).
I know I'm new here but If I may, I'd like to suggest that we not lose sight of what an incredible universe the Legion is,regardless of which "reality" we consider the best one.

Personally, I'm just fantasising about what I'd like the Legion to be like. No harm in that, right? [Smile]

Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Imagine a Legion Girls comic in the style of his Mary Jane Stuff. (I know Lash would be buying)

Lash isn't the only one.
[Big Grin]
That would rule as a mini !!!

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.