Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The New Writer Is (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The New Writer Is
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
re: Waid, Bedard, new writer

I don't question Waid's devotion to the Legion, just his execution on his current run with the team. I guess it's difficult to be imaginative when you stretch your efforts across several books (52, Brave & the Bold, etc.).

As for Bedard, I'm not too familiar with his work but having someone like him (with what appears to be an understanding and appreciation for the Legion), even for 6 months, will hopefully yield positive results.

I think it's a matter of equal parts damage control & creative shuffling as far as the creative team is concerned. I mean, Waid's rebuilt this team once before and both drew heat from fans. While it may not be warranted, it is justified in that Legion fans want the best from Legion creators.

re: the Legion explosion

Between the current LSH, the LSH31 (in the 31st century, all-ages book), some LSH members making appearances in JSA, with 52 hinting at a way for all incarnations of the LSH to become "in-continuity" (whatever that word means these days), the Showcase Presents edition & to an extent the LSH cartoon, it hopefully snowballs into a massive celebration for the Legion next year (if i'm not mistaken). I for one am looking for anything and everything Legion-related.

Long Live the Legion!!!

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
So am I, Igee. I guess all of us want a massive celebration for the Legion, that will attract new readers and will ensure its continuing success. Maybe even push it to the top once again. [Smile]

The cartoon helped quite a lot. I think it's safe to say that most Legion fans like it. We have a second Legion magazine, a 2nd season is a sure thing, so it looks like the future is bright for the Legion!

[ March 26, 2007, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Dain ]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Was this posted anywhere?

If not, here's the Legion tidbits -

quote:
RT: Let's talk "Legion of Superheroes." Were you a big "Legion" fan yourself? I'll admit that prior to Mark Waid's work on the title, I never read a Legion book in my life.

TB: Being a "Legion" fan is a thing unto itself, man. [laughs]

Speaking of not reading message boards, I stay away from the Legion ones as much as possible. But it's only because the Legion has four or five distinct incarnations that are somebody's favorite, and with those fans it's either their version or none at all.

For example, you saw the version of the Legion that showed up in the JLA/JSA crossover, right?

RT: Yes, sir.

TB: And they aren't the ones that Waid has been doing in his book.

Brad Meltzer and Geoff Johns really dug the seventies version of the Legion, so that's what they went to. But if you choose one version of the Legion to do, the fans of the other four factions gang up on you.

As a creator, that is a bit of a challenge. But as a fan, I'm not like that. I happen to like something from each of the Legion eras. I'm just trying to tip my hat to all of them -- which probably means I'll please no one.

One person who is pleased with Bedard's work on the book is just-exited writer Mark Waid, who had this to say: "Tony's doing a great job with the Legionnaires and their voices as established, but more importantly, he's creating new characters that are fun to watch. And he didn't even complain that I used Validus in Brave and Bold before he got to him. Good man, that Bedard."

RT: So what's happening in the book currently?

TB: It's one big overall story arc, even though it is split into three chapters. I'm tying up several loose threads from Waid's run. It's definitely still his book and I loved what he did with the Legionnaires.

I'm trying to focus on specific Legionnaires who haven't gotten the spotlight that much. There are certain major players like Brainiac 5, who is much smarter than everyone else and doesn't mind reminding everyone of that. He's kind of a jerk but I love that about him.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
TB: Being a "Legion" fan is a thing unto itself, man. [laughs]

Speaking of not reading message boards, I stay away from the Legion ones as much as possible. But it's only because the Legion has four or five distinct incarnations that are somebody's favorite, and with those fans it's either their version or none at all.

Now here, I call BS on this one. Most have us message boarders that could even argue for our
favorite "version" HAVE ALL VERSIONS SITTING IN BOXES!

Now,

What does that say?

It's really a kitchen and heat thing with the Legion. I suppose we could all slobber on them for creating yet another version or they could learn that a really good Legion writer enjoys our angst. If we're arguing for one version and say something grudingly nice about the one the writer put forth, that's more gold then the callused kneed adoration they'd get from fans of other books.

Blah. I'm rewriting my review of the last issue. I don't like it anymore, the writing was terrible and the logo stinks.

[Smile]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
" I'm just trying to tip my hat to all of them -- which probably means I'll please no one."

He said it not I. I gotta agree not sure what to make of the interview. This creative team is really honest! That's a good thing. [Smile]

Hey I loved last issue and that is all that matters.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.