Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Outsiders (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The Outsiders
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The last ish really defined the roles of each of the chosen Outsiders. I love the costume of Owlman ('natch), but time will tell whether he'll be an effective detective. I understand the need to inject a new face into this team, but is this reporter the best thing DC's got for an expert detective?

What do people think about Tatsu and Brion as an item? They've both dealt with loss, but this commonality is too much of a downer for a relationship. I would have rather seen Halo with Geo-Force.

Could someone please explain what's happened with Halo or what is her origin? I didn't get the references to her in the latest issue with all this "Auricle" stuff.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Who is this Owl Man character? When was he introduced and are we really supposed to buy him as the detective replacement for Batman?
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
Could someone please explain what's happened with Halo or what is her origin? I didn't get the references to her in the latest issue with all this "Auricle" stuff.

If Johns didn't have a Lantern fetish, he could have had Rainbow Girl be a 30th Century Halo...

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm liking this lineup-- not so much the Insiders. I really liked the page with Vandal Savage literally marching through the ages. And the Metamorpho/Halo team was a good one. Owlman begins to show his worth. Creeper is suitably off-kilter.

Assassinations on the street... immortal beings... Alfred playing tough... advance the plot a bit.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Request for the 2 Outsiders threads to be merged?
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Sure...done. [Smile]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a good mix of characters, and I'm liking everyone's time to shine. The Creeper's coming off a little too Ragdoll like right now tho'.

And the artwork is oh so good. With this and R.E.B.E.L.S. and Secret Six, DC has managed to add some great names to their stable.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Outsiders isn't knocking me out of my chair, but its not bad either. So far, pretty good, but I really kind of need some more wow factor.

I do like the line-up. Love seeing Halo again, hoping she has some more screen time. I feel like Geo-Force, Kitana and Black Lightning--all of whom I love--are in desperate need to have their stories explode into the pages. I tihnk honestly Tomasi is doing a lot of set-up work now, establishing the line-up and then hopefully will hit us with some good, dynamic stories. He's proven he's got the writing chops.

My one minor complaint is that I really loved the original character of Roy Raymond, TV Detective from the back-ups in Detective throughout the 50's. So his son as Owlman just doesn't do it for me. I also have secretly had my own idea to bring him into modern times for a few years but don't want to reveal it on the off-chance (0.01% actually) that one day I quit my job and somehow become a comic book writer and get to work on Batman [Big Grin] [Razz] .

The Creeper here works well, but like Ceej says he needs to distance himself from a potential Ragdoll comparison. He's one of DC's most original characters IMO (naturally, a Ditko creation), so I really would love it if he became a big star for the Outsiders.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well I caught up with the last three issues. While they are not bad by any means, it just feels like something is lacking here. The comic just isn't grabbing me.

On the one hand, I think a meeting between Vandal Savage and Ra's Al Ghul is a cool idea but it just wasn't as much of a 'wow' as I expected.

The team itself seems vanilla which is too bad because I really like Metamorpho, Halo and Creeper and I actually like most of the rest.

I actually really hate Alfred's involvement in this title. His character has moved way too far away from his traditional role. Its distracting enough to limit my enjoyment.

I usually like Tomasi's style--he's good for strait up good comic book stories. But something is missing here. Not bad enough to drop the series, I just hope it gets some more momentum.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
OUTSIDERS 22 contained a couple of scenes that exemplified something I love about comics. Real exploration of how superpowers work and all the subtle sorts of things a being who wielded them could do, in addition to the 'showstoppers'.

The subject in this issue was Geo-Force, though other characters like Metamorpho and Clayface also received some interesting power-examination. I never thought of Geo-Force and Metamorpho as such natural partners and now I really want to read more about them.

Really well done, I thought. I'd love for some Legionnaires to get this kind of treatment.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, as the Blackest Night tie-in ends, so apparently does Tomasi's run on the title. I can't say I'm all that happy Dan Didio himself is coming in--aside from the fact that its very difficult to seperate his ever-annoying personality from his work, I'm not all that impressed by his prior stuff (90's Superboy run--way to kill a title).

Still, I have to say that while I'm absolutely loving Green Lantern Corps and so many other things by Tomasi, I have not really enjoyed his run on Outsiders all that much. It just didn't have enough of a wow factor to pull me in. The Batman-related themes were also a turn-off, making it seem like the team can't stand on its own while not actually providing them with Batman.

Outsiders is a comic I'd really like to see succeed but I can't remember the last time I really honestly loved it. The inclusion of Halo and the Creeper were very welcome for me but it didn't do much. At this point I wish Geo-Force and Black Lightning were elsewhere in another comic. I kind of hate the Roy Raymond Jr. as Owlman idea--they could have done some cooler stuff than this pretty derivative and repetitive idea.

One good thing Tomasi did though was write a great Kitana. That was the highlight here. Halo as well.

For the Blackest Night tie-in itself, it was similar to the JLA story in that it wasn't bad it just wasn't anything special. Mediocre at best. The problem is that Geo-Force has already gone through all this stuff before with Terra; there is no new ground being broken here. How many times must everyone have to deal with what Terra did 30 years ago...we've all seen these stories before.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

The problem is that Geo-Force has already gone through all this stuff before with Terra; there is no new ground being broken here.

Tee-hee! 'Ground being broken'. By Terra!

A pun, but so true!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

[LOL]
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Did anyone read Didio's first issue? This beleaguered book just got it's cancellation notice. Dan shakes up the team, not in terms of members, but in attitude towards members. Everyone has a disagreement with someone, and none of it makes sense. The issue starts with them at each others throats.

Ok, the Black Lightning/Katana debate had some grounding, but give the history these two have, it seems odd they couldn't talk it out.

Phillip Tan is the new artist. That's about all I can say since he didn't even get the first issue drawn. And he's getting a fill in for the third issue, based on the solicits.

Ah well

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Cejj, I don't read Outsiders but skim the reviews a lot. This issue has been pretty universally panned. However, some of them seem optimistic about how Dan ends the issue with something that ties into the Super-titles, but none of them spoil what exactly that is. Care to spoil it for me/us?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.