Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Outsiders (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The Outsiders
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know what excitement the ending brings to overcome the issue. They bring in a character with a connection to the Superman family, one not unseemly with the Outsiders even. I don't follow the Supes books, so I don't know if there's something brewing, but...

Click Here For A SpoilerThe Eradicator joins the book

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
This issue just fell flat for me.

I didn't care for the surprise reveal character in the end. I would've rather they added Batwoman to the fold.

I agree with you CJ, that the heated argument between Katana and Black Lightning seemed disingenuous given their long standing relationship and core values. Also, I don't need another angry Asian female in the DCU.

And what gives with Brion? The haughty prince persona sounds logical, but he hasn't been this way in a long time and now all of a sudden he's now a Royal Pain in the Ass?

Finally,to make matters worse with this issue, Halo gets sucked away for who knows how long. She wasn't somebody I was fond of in the original run, but I've loved her new look and reintroduction to the team and now she's gone.

I feel like the book has done a complete wig out!

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Robinson's dialogue on the Justice League titles has gotten lots of criticism in various reviews I've read. I'd say it's Shakespeare compared to what's written in OUTSIDERS.

Not fond of the general direction for Geo-Force and the team, as of now. Katana is clearly under some sort of mental influence.

Are we meant to attribute her and Geo-Force's weirdness to post Black Night emotional trauma? Or to 'bad love'?

I did like the revamped Masters of Disaster and thought their scenes full of energy and interest. Unlike the Markovia political stuff (yawn).

So who *is* the new Eradicator? Is it a character that's never appeared before, or is he a *familiar* Krypton guy? A mole planted by Zod? Or one of the other guilds?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I’ve colleted the Outsiders since Winnick relaunched it with #1. I also co-own the first series as well. I’ve seen this title hit some pretty high ups (mostly in the 80’s) and some pretty low downs (mostly these last few years). And thus, I come to the latest two issues #26-27; I’ve just now read #26—and was reminded that this was Dan Didio’s first issue as writer. Note I did not say “delighted”; I felt I must come immediately to LW and post my thoughts before diving into #27.

My initial reaction: Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

This guy just has no creative talent. He’s an absolute hack.

Some may point to his Metal Men story in Wednesday Comics; let me remind you in total that is basically a one-issue story—and it’s a pretty run of the mill Metal Men story at that, using the basic guideline of how to do a regular ol’ superhero story. But yet even that, to steal a phrase from Todd, is like Shakespeare compared to this.

This is one of the worst issues I’ve ever read. I’ll reiterate: This is one of the worst issues I’ve ever read. Ah yes, now I recall what it was like when I read Countdown. This was the guy in charge of it—and reading this utter piece of shit, I can see his spirit was strong in Countdown as the guiding force.

But don’t worry Dan Didio fans (fan? Anyone?); I will provide examples:

*pages 2-8: Geo-Force acts like an utter douchebag, destroying any last hope that this character might actually get new fans. Well, its over, he’s finished. A pretty great character who has been gradually been killed by DC’s writers is now in the process of hitting bottom. To Roy Raymond: “You have misspoken twice tonight; there will not be a third time,” after Roy asks about Alfred—Geo Force then refers to him as “the manservant of a fallen comrade”. Wow. Thank Dan. Make someone look like a douche. How original. Make a king seem like he thinks he’s better than everyone. Freaking Ground-breaking.

*Kitana on pages…well, pretty much the rest of the issue. You know where she’d fit in real good? Rob Liefield’s Bloodstryke! Except of course, Rob Liefield is writing for his fans, and they might like this. Instead, Didio gives us a bloodthirsty “I hunger for souls”, murderous Kitana who is constantly treating Black Lightning like he’s some nerdy doof who should shut up and let her kill because “that’s what makes me a leader”. Kitana is basically Liefield’s Feral from X-Force, and Black Lightning is now Jughead. At this point, I’d rather see Kitana—whom I like—quietly die than have to put up with this. And the great Black Lightning, the first African-American superhero in the DCU and who recently had his status in the DCU elevated to the proper place it should be, is now run of the mill nobody. You might as well replaced him with Joe Public from the Bloodlines crossover. Because at least that would have made sense.

*That fantastic Dan Didio dialogue: Stan Lee, he ain’t. It reminds me of my own dialogue in the stories I wrote when I was 11 years old:
Captain Fear (as they’re fighting): “I enjoy a good dance, especially with someone as lovely as you”
Kitana: “You deserve to die for that comment alone’

*And just so they’re not left out, the Creeper and Metamorpho have a scene together that instead of any characterization, a fart joke is inserted (besides the two of them being at odds with one another just like every other team member is). How [sarcasm] cutting-edge [/sarcasm].

Putting all these awful parts together, we now have a whole…a whole big pile of shit. Not only will Outsiders be cancelled within the next year, I’m pretty sure some of the characters will die. And you know what? I can hardly muster any feeling to care. Here’s hoping the Jim Lee co-publisher bit is a way for Lee to phase Didio out.

The Outsiders under Dan Didio is actually quite a joke. And the joke is on me and all the other suckers who bought this issue.

Next issue up next [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Reading your review redeemed my annoyance at the issue. And I'm not even really fond of reading what people don't like about a given artform/entertainment (I'm much more interested in what draws someone to a work, might make me a fan of something I'd never thought to try- or given a chance if I did try it).

Worst comic book you've ever read- now that's saying something [Smile] . I don't think I can pinpoint the worst one I've ever read. Guess the memory of the all the suckage goes into some subconscious mental vault... where they all combine with bad soap opera, crummy old movies and the worst SPACE:1999 episodes into some unholy, Lovecraftian tentacly slime-sucking oozefest of horror.

Just imagine- if all fans had their own personal crap-banks emptied and the mental excretions somehow merged into an unholy extraconscious entity- something an as yet-uncreated combination of the Fantastic Four, the LSH, the Metal Men and the Gerber Defenders would fight, be defeated by, triumph against and then absorb as a member.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I just read #27 as a follow-up. Even worse

Draaaaaaaaaah-opped!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Why is Didio even writing a comic book except to feed his ego!?
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What is the point of breaking up a team that just got back together? I love the original Outsiders, but recently issue, Black Lightning and Geo-Force launch into a psychotic slugfest and Katana acts like Brion's concubine!

And I hope Looker isn't returning just to capitalize on the whole vampire Twilight craze.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

So Achilles the Warkiller, now going by The Olympian, is suddenly leveling cities andkilling folks willy-nilly? And getting drawn by Giffen in his Kirby-channeling style?

Did he just join the Outsiders, or was that a particularly obscure form of flirting he was using on Geo-Force?

This was a strangely sort-of enjoyable issue, in an alternate-reality kind of way.

Then again, I suppose I have to account myself a fan of Achilles the comic book character and his twin-trunked flying elephant. I'd like to see him join the JLA or the Global Guardians or the Myths That Walk as Heroes, just as long as he doesn't disappear into the mists like Alpha Centurion or Black Orchid. (Now that's the kernel of a new super-team-- Achilles, AC and BO- who else would buy it?)

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
*That fantastic Dan Didio dialogue: Stan Lee, he ain’t. It reminds me of my own dialogue in the stories I wrote when I was 11 years old:
Captain Fear (as they’re fighting): “I enjoy a good dance, especially with someone as lovely as you”
Kitana: “You deserve to die for that comment alone’

[LOL] Did he really write that? That dialogue is so hilariously bad it almost goes all the way round to good again.

It's unbelievable to me that this title hasn't been cancelled yet. If this hack wasn't in charge of the company and just using these poor characters to feed his ego it would have been.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Dan Didio still writing this comic evokes the same emotions out of me that Americans in the late 1970's felt when those hostages were held at the Iranian Embassy.
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ [LOL] Now I don't feel so bad about comparing him to Stalin in the Team Titans thread.

The worst thing is, two of the recently promoted editors (Eddie Berganza and Ian Sattler) are just as much of the problem at DC as the Didiot is (and just as crappy of a writer in Berganza's case too) and so I worry that they're being groomed to take his place when he retires (or, in an ideal world, gets fired).

It's like DC are going to be stuck with that crappy editorial team for at least another decade. If the company can even survive that long with them in charge. ugh!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Based on positive remarks in this thread from Lash and Cobie, I decided to get back issues of the first 13 issues of the 90s Outsiders. I can't remember exactly why I didn't get it at the time -- after all, it was the same writer as the 80s Outsiders, Mike W. Barr. My best guess is that I was very anti-DC at the time, because of Doomsday/Azbats/Evil Hal, and made very few exceptions.

Anyhow, I read the twin #1 issues, a very clever way indeed of showcasing the large cast: one issue from the point of view of the female members, one issue from the point of view of the male members. Barr's style of writing is still like comfort food to me, and while Paul Pelletier was very raw at this stage (the inking doesn't help), there's enough glimmers of the potential that would blossom over the years.

I'll keep posting about the other issues as I read them.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Awesome! Definitely look forward to your thoughts as you go.

I think you'll see that Pelletier noticably improves with each issue so that by the end of his run, he's really just nailing it.

Also: I don't want to spoil things but be patient with Looker (if she's one of your favorites). Meanwhile, Halo & Kitana rock throughout.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Cobie.

Always adored Katana and Halo (especially Katana), so that's good to know. Looker wasn't one of my favorites, but of course I felt terrible for her after what happened at the end of #1. So I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.