Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Jonah Hex (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Jonah Hex
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Did anyone pick this up? I couldn't resist, even though I have a copy coming in my order at the end of the month I grabbed one off the shelf tonight. Haven't finished it yet but, damn! This looks to be some classic Hex.

And I should be getting the Showcase Hex at the end of the month too. Starting to feel the love of the old West comics coming back.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, and WOW. [Westerner]

I love Westerns. John Ostrander's THE KENTS 12-issue maxiseries, Marriotte and Cassaday's first DESPERADOS mini, Marriotte's second mini with the Severins... all great stuff.

This new Hex series looks to be as good as anything else I've liked in the genre. Luke Ross's artwork is beautiful-- he's really developed from his early J. Scott Campbell anime style. The story was predictable, but solid. Done in one, too. [Cool]

I also picked up Azzarelo's LOVELESS-- not as strong as JONAH HEX, overall, but interesting enough for me to pick up issue #2.

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Anybody else think it was clear that Ross was modeling his Hex after Clint Eastwood?

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Anybody else think it was clear that Ross was modeling his Hex after Clint Eastwood?

Definitely in a couple of panels. Almost like a manipulated photo. And this is so far my favorite book of the month. Haven't gotten my copy of Walking Dead yet though.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
Awsome start with issue #1. The issue simply rocked.

Loveless was good. Will give it a few issues to see if it grows on me.

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked this issue up because of this thread...very good issue. Thanks for the solid recomendation.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Issue #2 was just as good. Even though I really don't like the use of a 'caricature' for Hex's look at least they've kept it consistent and it works (makes me want to see Eastwood do a Hex movie). I'm also enjoying the self-contained stories and hope they keep up that format.

Next issue, Bat Lash!

Oh, and anyone enjoying this book really should pick up the Showcase: Jonah Hex that came out last month. Worth every penny.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't read #2 but #1 was excellent. Hell, they could make a movie out of issue #1. And definately a huge Clint Eastwood resemblance (which I kinda liked).

I'll be reading this series for the long-haul.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree Scott - the second issue was as good as the first. I never cared much for the old west comics, but Jonah Hex is certainly exceptional enough for me to keep reading.

Um...should I be changing my handle to "Lance Rhino" or maybe to "Rhino's Realm"?

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
A couple of great issues to start with, and a real western feel. This isn't a book dressed in boots and hats, GrayPal and Ross have created something here.

They mentioned having a few longer arcs, but for the most part are sticking to the one issue stories.

p.s.- I'm with Lances. Did a heard of rhinos invade over the weekend?

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

See this thread to answer your Rhino questions. [Smile]
lancesrealm
amiable

OK...thanks...
Lightning Lad
Founder

Interview at The Pulse with Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray. And they basically promise to keep it to one story arcs with a planned three-parter down the road a bit. I really like that idea. It may also be a good way to build readership by making it easier for people to pick up.
Pov

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
This looks worth checking out-- thanks to Newsarama.

Though the term "squaw" is frowned upon by The People... [Frown] Apparently, it's a nasty slang term for a part of the female anatomy. [No]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
JONAH HEX 1&2 Sell Out @DC

#1 had an estimated run of around 34K. Pretty damn good for a Western. [Bouncing Boy]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.