Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Jonah Hex (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Jonah Hex
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone read the Showcase: Jonah Hex? I was just wondering about the quality of the early Jonah Hex stories. Is this worth getting?
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I have it and have paged through it. I read Hex growing up so I know most of these stories. The Showcase is definitely a good buy if you like the old west stories.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought the first iss of the new series and dcided to get the showcase for quick entertainment and cuz my comic store was having a boxing day sale. I got it for 50% off 13 bucks canadian. Well worth even the regular price.

Nothing groundbreaking, if you like the western bounty hunter/gunfighter stuff you'll love it.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey! Who's read #3?

S
-
P
-
O
-
I
-
L
-
E
-
R
-
S
-
-
-
---Another great issue, done-in-one, guest-starring another DC Western character-- Bat Lash!

I'm not really familiar with him, but his appearance was entertaining and important to the story. The interaction between the two was great, especially the repartee that closed out the story.

The artwork was fabulous, and what happens to the Sherriff had me queasy despite its relative lack of gore.

This book is among my must-reads... LOVELESS has grown on me as well. YEEEEEEHAW! [Westerner]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't recall my copy being in my mid-month shipment. Maybe I better check it again.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Another great issue, done-in-one, guest-starring another DC Western character-- Bat Lash!

I'm not really familiar with him, but his appearance was entertaining and important to the story. The interaction between the two was great, especially the repartee that closed out the story.

I take it you are familiar with Maverick? Same idea. At least that's how I always thought of him.

Now all of these great Westerns and characters makes me want to see the original Wild, Wild, West.

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Another great issue, done-in-one, guest-starring another DC Western character-- Bat Lash!

I take it you are familiar with Maverick? Same idea. At least that's how I always thought of him.
I remember in the pre-CRISIS days how the Justice League actually teamed up with Jonah Hex, Cinnamon and other West-based DC heroes...
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Issue #5 has a guest penciller, Tony Dezuniga, who did a bunch of Jonah Hex books back in the day. Just been reading thru the Showcase this past week and really enjoying it.

And Hex is making an appearance in Justice League Unlimited #19, along with Bat Lash and El Diablo. I may pick this one up.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Issue #4 was another solid, excellent issue. The art is simply phenominal and the writing is tight and enjoyable.

The done in one format makes this title a combination of classic western comics, Clint Eastwood movies and bad-ass, realistic 'modern' story-telling (I, of course, use the word 'modern' with tongue planted firmly in cheek). This should be on everyone's pull-list.

On a sidenote--also out right now is Joe Kubert's SGT. Rock mini-series, which is equally as excellent. DC publishing these two series makes me feel pretty damn good about DC.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, I really think DC is trying to diversy it's line. HEX and ROCK are great additions, and with the revised AQUAMAN and WARLORD (tho' not sure how its doing), they are currently beating Marvel at this game.

GrayPal are writing real westerns here, not super-heroes set in the past. I like the single issue stories. But they are making me anxious for the occasional 2-parter, just to see them give Hex some real meat.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mhr_kara
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mhr_kara   Author's Homepage   Email mhr_kara         Edit/Delete Post     
do you all think someone who reads mainly DC superhero comics would like the Jonah Hex ongoing series?

(i did order the Jonah Hex Showcase, can't wait until it comes in the mail. it looked unlike the majority of comics DC publishes today, so i picked it up)

From: Earth-247 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

quote:
Originally posted by mhr_kara:
do you all think someone who reads mainly DC superhero comics would like the Jonah Hex ongoing series?

Depends whether you read 'em because of the superheroes, or because they're GOOD. [Wink]

And JH is just good comics. [Cool]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Justin Gray talks Hex at Newsarama, with previews for #7.

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Aw, you beat me to it Bri. And I was hoping to goof off for a bit. [Smile]

Sad to see Lucas leave already but this title is still near the top for me. Can wait to see what a "done in one" two-parter looks like.

Pov

I long for the days where writers could tell a story in one issue but used subplots to link stories to a greater whole. THE PEGASUS PROJECT storyline in Marvel Two-in-One is a classic example. Every story could stand alone on its own merit, but there was the overarching story as well.

I have a TPB for the PP storyline. Don't know if it's still in print, but it's worth checking out if you get a chance. Mostly Perez artwork, some (classic [Razz] ) Byrne. Lotsa fun. [Yes]

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.