Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Jonah Hex (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Jonah Hex
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^Even though the film looks bad from the standpoint of someone who is already a big Jonah Hex fan, I actually hope it succeeds in a huge way. I want more readers getting into Jonah Hex (especially non-comic book readers). And I want a non-superhero star to really shine. Probably the last breakout western star from comic books into other media was Vigilante in the 1940's and he isn't really even a true western hero. (Imagine a Bat Lash movie? It would be awesome).

Anyway, I read #56 which I know several other Legion Worlders picked up for the incredible Darwyn Cooke cover. I'd forgotten that there were two stories within and I've got to say, I absolutely loved that we got two full stories. This is how a comic with two stories should be done; no scenes are wasted, each story delivers the way it should with the first one has the 'small scale epic' feel to it and the second being a great character piece on Jonah. The second 8 page story is now the quintessential back-up story blueprint I think all comic book companies should look at--it delivers better than any I've seen thus far.

Winslade is one of the artist's I kind of put on the back-burner in discussions regarding Graypal's Hex, since the comparison inevitably leads to Bernet and Cooke, but I think he really nails it everytime he does a Hex story (and in fact, every Hex story has great artwork). What I like is that he really is detailed in his panels--there is just so much going on and each character in the background has a different detailed look. In the scene around the campfire, as Hex's intentions become clear to the others that he intends to kill them, the panel layout suddenly gets very shaky and it adds a level of terror and excitement to it--very well done! It's not easy making action sequences which essentially involve drawing a gun and firing all that exciting but Winslade does a great job here and that is representative of what the various Hex artists do each month.

I hope those who bought the Cooke cover realized Cooke didn't do any of the interior work and were surprisingly delighted by it. This is a comic everyone should be collecting with each month's story being good enough to be turned into a movie.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I hope those who bought the Cooke cover realized Cooke didn't do any of the interior work and were surprisingly delighted by it. This is a comic everyone should be collecting with each month's story being good enough to be turned into a movie.

The Cooke cover was a bonus, but I knew he didn't draw interiors. Knowing the facts that my CBS actually had copies out to buy, that I knew that the stories inside would be accessible and that the interior artists were still damn good (even if not Cooke) were the primary factors for me.

Did you purchase "No Way Back", Des?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^No, I didn't get it, though I might eventually since it's Hex by Graypal.

To be completely honest, I don't usually like Graphic Novels coming out without first coming out as monthly series. I feel companies miss out on the double-whammy of sales and I like at least the option of getting something in a monthly. Kind of just my own tastes. While I'll probably *one day* get the Hex GN, I won't get the 'Earth One' comics unless I find out they are the greatest things ever. (So it has to be even better than a normal single issue comic book would be).

Did you get it? If you do, let me know how it is and that might encourage me to get it sooner than later.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
^No, I didn't get it, though I might eventually since it's Hex by Graypal.

To be completely honest, I don't usually like Graphic Novels coming out without first coming out as monthly series. I feel companies miss out on the double-whammy of sales and I like at least the option of getting something in a monthly. Kind of just my own tastes. While I'll probably *one day* get the Hex GN, I won't get the 'Earth One' comics unless I find out they are the greatest things ever. (So it has to be even better than a normal single issue comic book would be).

Did you get it? If you do, let me know how it is and that might encourage me to get it sooner than later.

Nah, my CBS didn't have it, but I think I might've if they did because it was a slow week. From what I've read of the reviews, it seems like it would've been a good buy. It puzzles me, though, that you are in no hurry to possible ever get it considering how much you admire GrayPal's Hex work.

Personally, I like the idea that original GNs are still being made. If the creators feel the story needs to be experienced in that format and not serialized, I'm glad they have that option.

Just for comparison, you don't seem upset that Cooke's Parker adaptations are being released as GNs, so you must feel there are exceptions, deep down. (I know, I know--you'll say "only because it's Darwyn Cooke!" [Razz] )

I've already told my CBS guy to order me JMS's recently-solicited, Superman: Earth One, btw, and am likely to do same with Johns's project. It's a slight risk, but I feel the talent behind them and DC's support of this format make it worthwhile.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hm, I kind of see how my above comment overstates my opinion. It's not something I feel strongly either way about, but what I really mean is that my comic book reading and buying habits are such that I often spend the majority of my time & money on single issue comic books and it's usually an afterthought for me to look at trades and graphic novels. In fact, if something was not a series of single issues prior collected in a trade, there's a good chance I'd never remember about it unless someone on Legion World reviewed it.

Naturally, there are exceptions and you predicted my response already: it's Cooke afterall, so I'd buy anything he did in any format he wanted. He could make his next project the cover of Green Day's next album and I'd go out and find the vinyl version. (Actually that sounds really awesome now that I made it up).

I usually do a big trade order every 6 months of 6-8 trades, and those are based on great recommendations I've received or series I've committed to buying in trades (re: Scalped). So it's hard to get on that list! [Big Grin] Still, there are exceptions to even that.

So in a roundabout way of answering, the Jonah Hex GN has everything going for it to make me inclined to buy it, but because its in that format, I kind of don't mind putting it on the 'long back burner' which could take over a year or more to buy.

Unless of course you get it and give me the greatest recommendation of all time, which could move it up on my list.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, I'm more and more leaning towards the graphic novel format. Most stories are crafted that way anyways.

I picked up the GN last night and will have a review for ya this weekend.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Looking forward to it! It could get me to buy it quicker than normal.

Like I said, it's more of a 'reading / buying habits' kind of thing than a 'taking a stand about something I have an opinion about', though I do wonder if companies miss out on the double-whammy of sales by not doing a monthly. I guess here that reasoning wouldn't apply (but it might with those Year One GN's).

I at least need a Legion Worlder to buy first and recommend so its a good thing I've got you guys to help guide me! [Big Grin]

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I'm still shocked you didn't pick this up, Des! I mean, you love GrayPal on Hex, so what was the drawback? You don't think they'll give ya a story worth the money? You just may be the biggest hypocrite I've never met! [Wink]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Bah! I don't buy GN's until I feel the need to blow extra cash! I wouldn't have even know this was out until you asked me about it!

I have no problem waiting weeks, months--YEARS even to read anything that isn't easy to buy on a whim!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Damn your ignorance! (And damn your refusal to remove "Chief of Security" as your status!)

[Razz]

--------------------

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Oooo I sense a fued a'comin.

We gonna git ourselves a gun fight goin, Ol' West like?

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Statuses are like GNs, I only know about 'em if Lardy tells me [Big Grin]
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Ceej, when you read this Jonah Hex GN, make SURE you rub it in Cobie's face how supern it is, 'kay? (if it ain't that good, LIE!) [Big Grin]

--------------------

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Waitaminute! All this time, yer giving Cobie guff, and you ain't e'en read the durn thing yet?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Waitaminute! All this time, yer giving Cobie guff, and you ain't e'en read the durn thing yet?

Well...no. But in my defense I haven't been a Jonah Hex reader up to this point! I recently purchased (and have started reading already) the first trade and also bought this month's issue.

I posted a few days ago that if my CBS had ordered it, I would've bought the GN on impulse despite the fact that I'd yet to read a single GrayPal Hex issue at the time. The buzz on the book and the GN was so good that I was ready to take the plunge with an epic, oversized, totally original tale as my first Hex experience.

What's HIS excuse? [shrug]

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.