Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Jonah Hex (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Jonah Hex
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
All-Star Western has done a fantastic job continuing the quality of a Graypal written Jonah Hex. There are some differences to what came before, but it works. I loved the Jonah Hex series, but have to admit I like how the change of pace has kept things fresh.

First, the continuing stories, whether 2 or 3 or 5 issues, ha actually been nice. I'm a fan of done in ones, but I do like how these multi-part stories have allowed for the rich dynamic between Hex and Arkham to really be explored. That has added a little something nice to Hex.

Second, I'm really enjoying the setting of Gotham City for Hex. In addition to the idea that Hex has this small period of his lifetime where he did his thing in Gotham (which is cool), it also is letting Graypal take advantage of the Bat mythos in their stories. There is no doubt the Court of Owls was behind the problems of the first story and now in the second story we see the lost Migani people that Morrison used so well in the Return of Bruce Wayne. ASW may just be the place to reconcile Morrison's Bat history with Snyder's.

Lastly, I love the art by Moritat and the coloring that goes with it. He was fantastic on the Spirit and continues to get better and better here. It's a very atmospheric look that also works well for the action sequences. And he's got the look of Hex and Arkham down pat.

I'm enjoying the series quite a bit. The back-ups have also been great, including the latest introduction of a new character, the Barbery Ghost.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So I downloaded and read the first nine issues of All-Star Western this weekend and they were pretty much awesome!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Aren't they? It may just be DC's best series. The chemistry between Hex and Arkham is just genius! It works so well that I think even the writers were caught off guard!

What's interesting is the stories subtly reveal bits about the recent years Batman stories (Morrison & Snyder) but it's so subtle, I think a lot of people miss it.

Graypal did all the prior stories in the solo Jonah Hex series with a variety of artists and for the most part they were also terrific.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, I kept feeling there was a bunch of references to Batman stuff that I was supposed to be getting but didn't since I'm not following Batman.

There's a bit of a Holmes/Watson vibe between Hex/Arkham which is pretty cool.

I'm definitely going to go back and pick up the rest of the previous Hex series one of these days (I think have the first two trades?).

The backups have completely rocked as well.

It really makes me wish DC had a dedicated sci-fi series that was this cool as well.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

It's pretty perplexing why they haven't. They have all the great sci-fi concepts in comic books. Strange Adventures in the exact same format as All-Star Western.
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
It's pretty perplexing why they haven't. They have all the great sci-fi concepts in comic books. Strange Adventures in the exact same format as All-Star Western.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Adam Strange series based on the one in Wednesday Comics. The idea of Adam continuing to age on Earth while remaining eternally young on Rann has possibilities.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Oddly enough, I don't believe Adam Strange has ever starred in Strange Adventures...
Eryk Davis Ester

Back to Hex, though, the one character I was expecting him to encounter was Cyrus Gold. Though maybe that would create continuity headaches with Earth 2?
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Oddly enough, I don't believe Adam Strange has ever starred in Strange Adventures...

Adam Strange starred in the reprint issues that followed the cancellation of the Deadman feature. There may even have been a new story or two during that run.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Oh, and I am a huge fan of the current All-Star Western book too.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Is everyone else as blown away as I am by how awesome All-Star Western has been? The previous Jonah Hex series was nothing short of fantastic, and ASW has continued that level of quality while being very different in the product being delivered (longer form stories, setting in Gotham, single ongoing artist).

I'd rank it my #1 favorite DC series right now. The Jonah / Arkham dynamic is pure gold on every single panel, and the artwork by Moritat is a delicious.

And the setting in Gotham has actually worked on every level. It could easily have gone the other way, but Graypal do a fantastic job in maintaining the "Hex-tone" and giving the story just enough subtle nods to the larger Bat lore to make it pay off. (And a few not so subtle as the latest cover reads "the Court of Owls!" and "The Crime Bible!").

By shifting to Gotham, its let Moritat provide a very beautiful (even when its grimy) "gaslight" background, as opposed to the Old West open landscape backgrounds of the Jonah Hex series. It's a lot of fun to have an ongoing gaslight comic book!

Eryk Davis Ester

All-Star Western #0 definitely had a bit of feel of "Oh, I guess we've got to participate in this zero-issue event, so let's randomly insert the story of Hex's life...", but I am *so* totally psyched for the upcoming issues with Haley's Circus and Dr. Jeckyl!
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... not sure how I feel about this:

"Moritat on All-Star Western: Jonah Hex will be coming into the year 2050 and teaming up with Adam Strange."

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
All-Star Western #0 definitely had a bit of feel of "Oh, I guess we've got to participate in this zero-issue event, so let's randomly insert the story of Hex's life...", but I am *so* totally psyched for the upcoming issues with Haley's Circus and Dr. Jeckyl!

Agree on all counts! I was actually worried this would be a retread of Jonah's origin or even worse, them changing the origin after their last go at it (which was terrific). Instead it was a steady flash through Jonah's early life that was gut-wrenching and moved forward at a strong, forceful, pace. I thought it was really good!

I'm definitely looking forward to Haley's Circus and Dr. Jeckyl too.

For the time travel thing, I'm hoping its just a one-off insane / 'may be a hallucination' / offbeat type story that doesn't actually involve Jonah time traveling. I have a feeling it will be. Plus, we know Adam Strange is in modern times, not the crazy future of 2050 where there are flying cars and nuclear powered space ships!

Eryk Davis Ester

So, as predicted... I'm totes loving the Jekyll and Hyde storyline! Looking forward to where the Tallulah/Barbary Ghost subplot goes as well!

I'm not really feeling the Tomahawk reboot in the back-up, however.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.