Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Jonah Hex (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Jonah Hex
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Still loving this series. Last issue was really good, you know, its amazing that we got an origin for a character, how that character is connected to Jonah AND an actual full story with that character all in 22 pages. Can't think of the last time that's happened to me.

When I was first reading it I just figured we would get the flashback tale and the capture in the desert would be a framing device, but nope, we got the flashback AND resolution to the story. Just wow, you almost forget how much CAN be accomplished in a single issue sometimes.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The latest issue has Jonah drunk, taking on a band of robbers, led by a man named Lucky in a truly one horse town.

This was one of the more light-hearted tales in this series run. It's good to see GrayPal mixing it up- showing us how good a comic book can be.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This latest issue, with JH Williams on the art was a bit different for Hex fare.

I'm looking forward to the big 6 part story, teaming Hex with some classic DC western heroes.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The big 6 part story began in #44 and #45 is out too, and so far, this is shaping up to be the best Hex story yet! So far we've seen Turnbull, El Papaguaya, Tallulah Black, Bat Lash, El Diablo and Blue Eagle--and its really fun to see all these characters show back-up. Bat Lash and Tallulah really shine so far.

And I'm looking forward to Hex getting some seroius revenge. "Buried alive" as a murder motif is always one that I've found grimly fascinating, and the ironic way Hex survived it fits in with the way GrayPal have written the series.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

The Six Gun War finished up. GrayPal gave us the same quality in 6 issues that they bring to any one issue of Hex.

And they followed it up with HEX #50. This could have been a sappy tale, a clip show of sorts for the book. But it wasn't. They bring in some past elements of the book, show Jonah being Jonah, and still make me long for the Wild West style of justice.

And Darwyn Cooke draws it all so well.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I want to get #50...if for nothing else, the Darwyn artwork.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Me too. I never read Jonah Hex but the Cooke art will get my $$. Besides, I heard it's a bit different from his usual style, less thick lines than in Parker or New Frontier.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I haven't read #50 yet but like FC, I'll buy anything Darwyn Cooke--if Cooke took over Youngblood, I'd be buying regularly (actually, I like that idea). I plan on getting Parker for myself for Christmas.

As to the Six Gun War, I thought it was nothing short of awesome. Definitely one of the best 6-part stories I've read in years. It kept the Hex grittiness, but I also felt like Graypal gave us the 'fun-lovin energy' of Butch & Sundance as well. Bat Lash, who I usually don't like all that much, just rocks under Graypal's pen.

Like I always say about Hex, I simply can't recommend this comic enough.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Jonah Hex #51 is out, and we get another great story. GrayPal send Jonah out on another bounty, and this time it's completely justified. Our hero has a chance to keep his soul clean. A man is killed after founding a town. His widow and the town preacher hire Hex to bring the killers to justice. Shamefully, the man's killers aren't the only guilty people in this tale.

The morality of the Old West is a fascinating thing. You can appreciate the shoot 'em first philosophy- The Law ain't always around to protect and serve. At the same time, life on the frontier wasn't easy; there was a certain amount caveat emptor required to survive.

Another excellent chapter.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Another great issue of Jonah Hex. Having never been much for westerns, this book has really made an impression on me.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^Yup.

The series is just that good. Up next is a string of Jordi Bernet stories and he's my favorite artist working on Hex with Graypal. I can't believe the series has lasted this long and is still going strong--if anything, its better than ever.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read issues 1 and 50. Going to be getting a lot more of this book.

Darwyn just rocks so many ways in his storytelling.

Graypal ain't to shabby with their yarns either.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

"The Brief Life of Billy Dynamite" was the latest offering in Hex and it was another offbeat, awesome tale that could easily be a 2 hour movie that would win all kinds of awards, squeezed into 22 pages.

Like Starman, Tallulah and so many others, Billy Dynamite is one of the most original, quirky characters I've seen in years and fits in perfect in the larger world of Jonah Hex.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Did anyone buy the HC "No Way Out"? Though I've yet to read my first GrayPal Hex story, I'm intrigued by this orignial hardcover for some reason!

Anyone?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

The series is just that good. Up next is a string of Jordi Bernet stories and he's my favorite artist working on Hex with Graypal. I can't believe the series has lasted this long and is still going strong--if anything, its better than ever.

The book is quality, no doubt.

My hunch is that it's trade sales and the upcoming movie that has kept this book alive. Should the film tank, they may well reassess.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.