Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Jonah Hex (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Jonah Hex
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ish #7 came out today, and it was Ross's farewell. A great story for it, he gave us some nice panels of the requisite gunfight. GrayPal told a rather tragic romance story this time around. It certainly had that Hex feel to it tho'.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
DC just announced a trade of the first 6 issues.

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
That may be the only way i get them. So far, my store had only gotten me three issues.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
yeah. My local comic shop closed down after issue 1 came out. The local comic shop I worked at. Hey!

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up issue number 8 today. It was good - but I think this is my last issue. The plots are good - but the character development is non-existent. The plot and artwork are good, but the lack of subplots is killing this series for me.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
That may be the only way i get them. So far, my store had only gotten me three issues.

Rick, I can send ya the others if you want the single issues...

Also, BUMP for #9 due out this week.

[ August 03, 2006, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: CJ Taylor ]

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I read somewhere on one of the con reports this weekend how DiDio 'traded' Deadman to the Vertigo universe in order to get Hex back into the DCU proper. I'm glad he did. Out of the three big relaunches of old titles I was eager for (Hex, Moon Knight and the Warlord), Hex is by far my favorite. MK is good, not as good as Hex, but good. And Warlord has already been dropped.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Assuming he doesn't cross-over with the modern heroes, why would it matter where he was? I know Vertigo has a rep for being "mature" but would it really make a difference with how GrayPal are writing this?

The same goes for Deadman...

Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I miss Ross on this series.
I have always liked the Hex character but would like to see stonger character stories.

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

And ish #10 came out. Phil Noto handle the art on this gruesome tale. We have Hex, scarred and ugly. We have a family full of nasty. Noto's a good artist, be he seemed too polished to really convey the ugly in this gruesome tale.

Still a great read tho'. This book, FELL, and She-Hulk are some great examples of done in one issues. I wish there were more books like this.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

'Gazer, Paul Gulacy did the art for recent issue. It's not Ross, but it's equally appealing.
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

For all of you wanting a meatier story...

We have the 3 part origin of Hex. And it's out creeping any horror book on the stands. We get a story behind the scar, and we get Jonah taking care of business. It's brutal, in a wild west way.

This should be in DC's top 10.

[ December 09, 2006, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: CJ Taylor ]

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The awesomeness of Jonah Hex needs to be discussed more!

So what did you guys think of the three-parter?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it was awesome. It was done very differently from what I (and I expect others) would have expected.

It really conveys the sense of 'savagery' (not that I have that in quotes) that was the Old West, in that the Chief who had come to be like a father to Hex was the one who scarred him so badly.

Graypal really show Hex to be a realistic replica of the standard man of the Wild West--tragic, birthed in pain and suffering and with only the slightest bit of justice in his veins.

I love this comic. Great origin story, and the art by Jordi Bernet (who I absolutely LOVE) was awesome.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

They just wrapped up the grimmest HEX story ever. We got a two parter about a woman more scarred than Jonah. Talullah Black lives her surname, she's been treated rough, vows to see it through, and even charms Hex. This is a woman to watch for...
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.