Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Read "Return of Bruce Wayne" #2 and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's just so Morrison-weird that I can't help but gobble it up.

The entire "Bruce / Puritan" concept is so off-beat that it works so well. It also amuses me to no end that someone might buy this thinking its a Batman-related 'Event Comic' and end up thinking "WTF?". [Big Grin]

#2 answered a bunch of questions from Morrison's Batman run regarding Wayne's ancestors. So this is more than just a 'Bruce returning to the future' story but some very important information regarding Batman: RIP.

And its also just awesome to see Bruce Wayne in action again.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also got around to part 2 of David Hine's story in Detective about Jeremiah Arkham. I thought it was a really good, solid story!

This is one of the better Dick-as-Batman stories so far, IMO.

Meanwhile, the Question back-up was a waste. I skipped to the end just to see if anything noteworthy happened--even then, it was hard to understand. Renee might be scarred now? I bet someone forgets in a few months.

I'm also noticing the preview for Neal Adam's Batman: Odyssey mini. I'm a fan of Adam's work in a big way but what I saw leaves me uncertain if I'll buy. It's a little unfair because its only pencils and inks (final inked version?) so it looks overly scratchy and that might not be the final product. Seeing Batman with a gun didn't really win me over.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I've already decided to let the Adams mini go for now and get the inevitable trade if it turns out to be good.

Return of Bruce Wayne #2 was much better than #1 (which was OK but not great) and renews my faith that Morrison is going somewhere with this story.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally read The Return of Brace Wayne #2 and LOVED IT!!!!!

Grant Morrison's epic, long-form Batman tale that he began what feels like years ago now is easily my favourite Batman story ever (and despite my not really liking the character in the past, I have read A LOT - my brother bought every Batman/Detective comic from about 1986 to about 1995) and this issue propels it into another dimension - almost literally!

Batman as a Puritan Wich-Hunter/Detective? What an awesome concept! I'd love to see future flashbacks to his life as Mordecai Wayne. And the Time-Masters involvement (which I was initially very sceptical of) just took an extremely interesting turn with the revelation that...

Click Here For A SpoilerDarkseid has turned Bruce into a living time-bomb that will destroy the world when he returns to the 21st Century! (And that page where Bruce revealed himself to be the data-keeper thing was one of the biggest jaw-droppers I've read in a comic this year!)

Makes his whole quest to return to the present that much more interesting.

And what can I say about the art?!? STUNNING! Frazier Irving blew me away on Seven Soldiers: Klarion but if it were even possible, his art looks even better here. What a phenomenal talent.

I feel sorry for all those people who a) aren't understanding or b) aren't enjoying this book.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Frazier Irving definitely is a talent to watch. He has such a creepy, moody feel to his artwork and there are a few things he does that highlight that. Foremost is the way he draws people's eyes and how they look at other people in the middle of a conversation. That's some pretty creepy stuff! He seems to really get Grant too and his artwork provides Grant the atmospheric backdrop needed for the weird & bizarre.

I'd kill for a Bruce Wayne: Puritan Detective back-up in Detective Comics following this! Moreso than the Question or Manhunter or Two-Face or whatever Bat-title back-ups there have been.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Batman #700 - a cross time caper involving 4 (5?) different Batmen and a number of Robins. And what a pretty book to look at. Grant again does a great job of telling stories encapsulating all the different eras/tones/moods/ of Batman.

Each era is drawn by a different artist, and they all manage to make it their own. The pin up series in the back was nice, and normally I prefer more story. But there were a couple that just blew me away. Such a great piece of collaborative work.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I agree on Batman #700: what a great "cross-time caper" (to borrow your phrase Ceej) with some incredible artwork. Particularly Tony Daniel, who I wish would do more artwork than writing.

Also love seeing Catwoman in that costume (which I disliked when I was a kid).

Like most of us huge longtime Batman fans, I knew it was only a matter of time that Grant got around to Professor Carter Nichols and I'm glad he did. He also wrote it in such a way that I felt like it left it open for further Carter Nichols stories (he should be 60 and was 80 so that's at least 20 years of time travel he was elsewhere, not to mention other easy outs).

I also have to say that Damien-as-Batman scenes from the would-be future only made Damien even more annoying to me. Did they confirm when they're killing him yet? [Big Grin]

And Ceej, good call on the art gallery. I agree, it was fantastic and moreso than the usual art galleries in milestone issues. Dustin Nguyen is incredibly creative in his pin-ups which were gorgeous. My favorite was probably the gorgeous Tim Sale one.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I read issue 12 with the conclusion of the "Batman vs. Robin" arc and the reveal of Sexton. I'd say that's easily B&R's best arc and probably the first to really click with me. I found Sexton's reveal surprising and enjoyed the apparent growth in Damien's character as he stood up to Talia. (I'm definitely less ready for him to be killed than Cobie is! [Big Grin] )

Question: does Talia's reveal of another Damien in the works mean that Damien wasn't conceived the old-fashioned way between Bruce and Talia? [Confused]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Looks like the BATMAN AND ROBIN title is sticking around, but with a new creative team.

DETECTIVE COMICS is getting a new writer , who will be familiar to some of you.

Tony Daniel is continuing on as writer/artist of BATMAN.

For those who missed it, the announcement of the new Bat-book from David Finch

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

A lot of this sounds really great to me. Tomasi has really won me over in recent years on GLC and elsewhere and Snyder is fantastic on American Vampire as Lardy and I (and now Dev--yay) have said several times in the Vertigo thread.

Finch's artwork I find really appealing so I'll give it a chance.

The only one I'm not thrilled with is Tony Daniel. I really love his art (I mean really) but I've found his writing on Batman thus far to be rather dissapointing.

Also, should Damien remain Robin (and it's lookin like he will) I'm going to keep complaining and feverishly asking for his death in perpetuity.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also saw Paul Cornell is doing a Knight and Squire mini which sounds awesome!
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
A lot of this sounds really great to me.

I'm intrigued by the different approaches the books are going to take.

--------------------

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
If they can maintain the differences, I'm all for it.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Today at SDCC, DC announced another Bat-Book, BATMAN INC., by Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette. Looks to be a team-up styled book.

No real hints about what the future holds for Dick Grayson yet.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd just like to say that halfway into it, Morrison's Return of Bruce Wayne mini has been a very welcome surprise. I was on the fence about getting it before it came out, but I'm glad I did so far. Morrison's Batman stories have run the gamut for me as far as whether I've enjoyed them or not and to what degree, but Return has really delivered in terms of telling terrific standalones winthin a larger framework of Bruce Wayne being lost in time.

This is SO much more entertaining than the non-story that was Captain America Reborn! If Morrison can nail the landing here and with the recently-improving Batman & Robin, this may indeed turn out to all have been worthwhile.

I'm optimistic!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.