Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm behind on Batman & Robin, but I did read the latest (or maybe not?) of Detective Comics and Batman.

Rucka's run on Detective is coming to a close and its still as great as ever, even with J.H. Williams taking a break and Jock providing art. I thought the 'Cutter' story was definitely out there, but not in a bad way. I'm also glad to see Bette Kane becoming a more prominent part of Kate's mythos.

Meanwhile, after really finding Tony Daniel's Batman really week for most of the run so far, the latest copycat killer story has really raised my interest. I feel like Daniel has upped his game and I like it. Daniel is also doing something Morrison is finally doing, which is showing 'Dick as Batman but still being Dick'. Too bad it took this long for them both to do it. And Guilliem March coming over from Gotham Sirens works great for me, as his artwork is terrific. He draws more than just attractive characters--his action sequences and elaborate murder scenes were really awesome to behold.

I'm still so unsure of what is going to happen to Dick once Bruce is Batman again. First, if Dick dies, I'll certainly make sure all posters who supported this status quo are hounded on Legoin World ( [Wink] ). However, I feel like his going back to being Nightwing is going to feel very weird.

Also, is anyone still collecting any of other Bat-titles: Red Robin, Streets of Gotham, Gotham Sirens or Batgirl? I dropped them all very early on and never looked back. Only Lardy's words on Batgirl made me give a second thought but I just wasn't feeling it enough.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I buy all of them.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Same here, SK.

B&R and 'Tec were so great, I think it raised my expectations a little for all of the Batbooks. Having stuck it out on all of them, i can appreciate them all more now then when I first read them.

Batgirl is a good read each month. Gotham Sirens isn't quite Secret Six or BOP, but also a nice read each month. I'm really excited with Fabian N taking over Red robin (even if I don't like the name.) Streets of Gotham is maybe the weakest one for me. I don't read Azreal at all.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Well I was as disappointed as I said I'd be with the Oberon Sexton reveal. Ugh! Talk about dragging a formerly great arc right down into the gutter.

That wasn't my only problem with #12 though. I felt it lacked the polish and energy that the previous two parts had. Not to mention lacking a conclusion. Is the next issue a new arc or a continuation of this one?

My other and possibly main issue was Dick telling Slade he'd be coming for him another time. WHAT!?! Slade Wilson destroyed an entire city filled with Dick's friends and colleagues. Catching him and putting him in jail should be Dick's NUMBER #1 priority! It's ridiculous to me that he would let him just walk around after having done something like that. Was great to see him punching him out though.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
That wasn't my only problem with #12 though. I felt it lacked the polish and energy that the previous two parts had. Not to mention lacking a conclusion. Is the next issue a new arc or a continuation of this one?

My other and possibly main issue was Dick telling Slade he'd be coming for him another time. WHAT!?! Slade Wilson destroyed an entire city filled with Dick's friends and colleagues. Catching him and putting him in jail should be Dick's NUMBER #1 priority! It's ridiculous to me that he would let him just walk around after having done something like that. Was great to see him punching him out though.

The next arc continues from this one. The cover is on DC's THE SOURCE blog.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/05/

I concur that Dick should be spending more time going after Slade, but if he does it in that situation, he's a dead man.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

After reading the conclusion(?) to the exploration of Wayne Manor arc, I'm finding myself growing more and more interested in Batman & Robin for the first time since perhaps the title began. Naturally that has to do with the return of the Black Glove, Bruce Wayne's potential involvement with the history of his family and other cool subplots from Morrison's run on Batman. I do think Blacula's complaints on the latest issue were valid though, so the story wasn't quite 'excellent', but it was a step in the right direction for me.

The Oberon Sexton reveal wasn't too disappointing for me because I knew that character would have to be back on the table for when Morrison started moving things along again so I've been expecting him.

I'm excited as all heck for the Black Glove storyline and the Thomas Wayne character. I now think I've got some personal theories that tie it all together nicely. Do any of you know of any great blogs that lay it all out? Is "the Black Glove is the Devil" theory basically the one everyone accepts now? Opinions? I know so many people take it as that but I like to think there is more to the mystery still. Even if its the demon Barbatos inhabiting the body of the first Thomas Wayne.

Meanwhile, I also picked up The Return of Bruce Wayne which I've eagerly been awaiting. As much as I love Dick, I've been vocal about how I haven't liked his as Batman. At long last, we get the 'real' Batman back, with Bruce being his awesome self even if he is hardly speaking. I'm excited for this storyline and how Morrison is going to get him back to the present, even though it took quite awhile for me to get excited.

I didn't realize the awesome Chris Sprouse was doing the artwork--great news! I love his very unique style and feel like I haven't seen it in forever. I wouldn't have expected him with Grant on Batman so that makes me more curious and enthusiastic about it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Is "the Black Glove is the Devil" theory basically the one everyone accepts now? Opinions? I know so many people take it as that but I like to think there is more to the mystery still.

I'm really in no hurry to find out. Most of what makes that character work is the mystery, so if we never really find out, I'm good with that too. Plus, it's fun to watch certain fans pop blood vessels every time the Glove claims to be something, because everything a character says in a comic is the truth.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yeah, I'm also enjoying Batman fans lose their minds over it. Have you ever visited the DCMB's Batman forum? It's like Thunder Dome over there when someone mentions the Black Glove.

I'm actually not in a huge rush to find out either, but I find it so interesting that I can't help but speculate. It's probably the comic book mystery that has intrigued me the most in the last 10 years. And so much is based on random tidbits Grant throws out, or clues that very likely aren't clues at all but something a random character said. Love it.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Yeah, I'm also enjoying Batman fans lose their minds over it. Have you ever visited the DCMB's Batman forum? It's like Thunder Dome over there when someone mentions the Black Glove.

I'm actually not in a huge rush to find out either, but I find it so interesting that I can't help but speculate. It's probably the comic book mystery that has intrigued me the most in the last 10 years. And so much is based on random tidbits Grant throws out, or clues that very likely aren't clues at all but something a random character said. Love it.

I'd pretty much given up on all message boards bar this one (and I haven't been around here much either), so I haven't had the pleasure of discussing comics on the DCMB recently.

Speculation is good. Speculation should be encouraged. Speculation means that you're thinking about the comics you're reading. That Morrison's work always gets me to thinking (even when I think the story in question doesn't succeed on its own terms) is why he's currently my favorite writer.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yeah, I can sometimes be tough on Grant in some reviews, but he's a favorite of mine. He *always* makes me think. I spent countless hours thinking about Seven Soldiers when I should have been working. [Big Grin]

As for the DCMB's--I just watch posters heads explode, but I don't actually feed the animals...

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
A caveat: Isn't "Black Glove" the name of the organization and "Doctor Hurt" the name of the lead villain? If I'm wrong about this, then I'm hopelessly confused! [Confused]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
A caveat: Isn't "Black Glove" the name of the organization and "Doctor Hurt" the name of the lead villain? If I'm wrong about this, then I'm hopelessly confused! [Confused]

Technically yes, although, really, Hurt IS the Black Glove as the other members are superfluous (and as we've seen, quite expendable).
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yeah, its not 100% clear yet. The internet may tell you otherwise but it's never been spelled out (on purpose, I'd wager).

The Black Glove is certainly the organization, but Dr. Hurt may be the Black Glove, or may work for a "Black Glove" person.

The Satan theory includes Dr. Hurt = Black Glove, in that he is a glove for the hand that is Satan (I think). It could also work that Dr. Hurt = Thomas Wayne (the descendent, not Bruce's Dad) acting as a glove for the demon Barbatos, who is possessing him. (OM, correct me if I'm wrong). It's all still vague.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Tony Daniel's second half to the Blackspell/Riddler storyline was a bit of a step backwards I think in regards to his storytelling. It remains a bit disjointed and clunky and the end felt more like a non-end to me. Still, the premise was decent.

Meanwhile, David Hine has the unfortunate job of doing the first Batman in Detective story with Rucka and Batwoman's exit. I actually thought it was a really good story, and one of the better offbeat, dark detective stories for Dick as Batman so far without the Morrison inherit weirdness. It follows up on the fascinating Jeremiah Arkham given the recent changes undergone by his character and is shaping up to be a solid read.

The Question back-up however has become basically something I skim over and rush to put down.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Guys, I've been re-reading that Batman: The Cult book.

I'm pretty sure this is where Morrison got the name "Miagani" from.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.