Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
The new issue was pretty good, but obviously just a set up for the finale, moving all the characters into place and revealing the identity of the Black Glove (which was pretty anti-climatic IMHO).
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think I'm enjoying Detective right now more than Batman. Paul is telling a straightforward superhero story, but it's fun, more escapism and easily readable and familiar.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

So there you have it.

I actually liked the issue, I'm just concerned with the follow-up as it seems Morrisson's not going to be around for the first part of it.

Glad to see the Uber-Bat Morrisson started in the JLA brought forward to it's logical endpoint (he literally thinks of *everything*), and it was great to see the Squire & company again.

Now what?

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Can someone give me a spoiler-filled two or three line summation? I'd like to know basically what happened and how he "dies".
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Click Here For A SpoilerHurt may or may not be Thomas Wayne but it's not ever actually clearly stated, although Batman denies that he is. Hurt escapes in a helicopter, Batman chases after him, the helicopter crashes, no bodies so neither are likely to actually be dead. Nightwing finds the cowl and broods on a rooftop. Damien knocks Joker into the river with a van (while Joker is driving an ambulance I think) but there's no body so he's not actually dead. Talia sends her Manbat ninjas after Jezebel's plane but again I don't think we see what happens. The issue ends with a jump to six months later with Batman gone, presumed dead. Despite the fact there's no body and everyone knows that means he's not dead. Plus the fact that it's Bruce Wayne in Final Crisis. So really not a conclusion or a final fate of Bruce Wayne either.

Scary thing is I've not actually read the issue but the key pages are up on scans daily and various websites have a complete rundown of the issue. I think there's a thread on the Dc boards as well which gives a pretty detailed account of the whole issue too.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going to have to read this all in one sitting. It's a solid story, but the time spread makes it hard for me to grasp all of Morrisson's subtlety. I'll be honest, I didn't feel like I got an ending.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

So there ya have it... read the entire R.I.P. storyline in one sitting, finishing up with the recent BATMAN 682 that came out this week.

It's a great read, definitly showing why Bats is my man. We see Bruce at his best, a culmination of all his previous interpretations, including Grant's ultimate Boy Scout shown in JLA. We get a confrontation with the Joker that is still a bit troubling if everything was revealed as shown, both about Bruce and Joker.

Seeing the past and present Robin at work shows how devoted they are to Bruce. Doubts and concerns are pushed aside in order to do the job asked of them.

Hurt and the Black Glove come across as a competent group, if a little enamoured with their own cleverness. The Club of Villains provide great kooks for future adventures reminding us of the fun of the Silver Age.

It's a solid story, capped by this week's #682. The revelation there is a bit surprising, one Grant has actually used before. And it provides for a wealth of story opportunity in Final Crisis before Battle of the Cowl and this Spring's Bat-re-launch.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so I finally read RIP. Lets not worry about the spoilers completely from here on, because this thing needs some dissection.

Anyone reading this thread can see plainly I've been very high on my opinion of Grant's Batman. That is still the case, but I need to say, I'm not 100% in love with how RIP ended. I liked the entire weird Bat-Mite, Batman of Zur-En-Rrh, Honor Jackson sequence, I loved the Club of Villains and the gathering of Batman's allies in the final issue, and I loved the whole rhythm of the thing. But generally, the finale was a pretty confusing bit!

So Batman isn't insane, he's just so prepared and so sane--so confident in his beliefs even--that he essentially appears insane.

Liked Nightwing and Robin's roles here.

Ceej, what revelation are you speaking of? Is it the Alfred thing? Because I'm not 100% clear on that. I took it that at the end Grant was saying Alfred was always Batman's ally, and the Lump was only messing with his memories. But for awhile, it looked like Alfred was never ressurected after his death in the Silver Age, and the Lump had been posing as Alfred for the entire last 35-ish years! That is quite the twist, and pretty interesting, but I assuredly would hate it if it were true--which it doesn't appear to be. Still, its fascinating.

Dr. Hurt remains a mystery--either just the doctor from "Robin dies at dawn!", the actor from the movie "The Black Glove", or someone more mysterious. I doubt its Thomas Wayne, though I love the idea that the guy continues to make us believe it so.

I love that Bruce realized Jezebal Jet was in on it (because damn that was obvious) and the minute he did, he realized it was the bad in her that attracted him to her all along.

So everyone, go ahead, spoil. Give your theories and interpretations. I've yet to see an interview with Grant going into detail on what he was trying to 'say', and I've read no really great reviews of the story.

Oh, also, I loved Morrison's various recaps and how they go along with so much of his interpretation of Bat's history. His notion of the Joker constantly evolving and reinventing himself (and Batman realizing it years earlier) is genius. The re-inclusion of the original Batwoman into the mythos, and the implied thought she wasn't all that great for Bruce (with a big 'why?' begged by the readers thereafter) is great.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Having read R.I.P. and having both enjoyed AND been severely confused by it, I'm wondering how essentially it is tied to the stories that occurred between it and the Damien arc. Since I've not read the story that introduced the Black Glove, I can't help but think I should've read it first because I don't think Grabt gave new readers to this arc everything they needed to know.

So is R.I.P. just as confusing having read all the prior Morrison arcs or not? Would it help to buy those stories?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by LardLad:
Having read R.I.P. and having both enjoyed AND been severely confused by it, I'm wondering how essentially it is tied to the stories that occurred between it and the Damien arc. Since I've not read the story that introduced the Black Glove, I can't help but think I should've read it first because I don't think Grabt gave new readers to this arc everything they needed to know.

So is R.I.P. just as confusing having read all the prior Morrison arcs or not? Would it help to buy those stories?

R.I.P. really builds on the whole Morrison run. Both the "Club of Heroes", the Joker prose story and the "Three Batmen/Black Casebook" arcs are pretty important in introducing (or "re-introducing" if you were reading for the past 60 years) the players in RIP.
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with Lardie -- there was a lot that was very enjoyable about RIP, but I'm not sure I GET the story, and I don't think I've felt that way about a mainstream comic since I was a teenager. I read all the preceding stories EXCEPT the one with the fake Batman shooting the Joker. I think my feelings of dissatisfaction stem from the fact that the story is NOT definitive and standalone--there's all this Final Crisis tie-in, not to mention everything that's going to come after. Maybe that uncertainty should be a good thing, leading to excitement and suspense. But I can't escape the feeling that a story this hyped should have been more definitive and closed-ended. I do, however, give Grant credit for trying to tell a very new kind of Batman story that still builds on everything before, and he certainly didn't spoon feed his readership.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I read all the previous stories by Morrison and I think its just as confusing.

Don't get me wrong--I liked it. But I don't think I've 100% got it. And I'm desperately trying to!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Ceej, what revelation are you speaking of? Is it the Alfred thing? Because I'm not 100% clear on that. I took it that at the end Grant was saying Alfred was always Batman's ally, and the Lump was only messing with his memories. But for awhile, it looked like Alfred was never ressurected after his death in the Silver Age, and the Lump had been posing as Alfred for the entire last 35-ish years! That is quite the twist, and pretty interesting, but I assuredly would hate it if it were true--which it doesn't appear to be. Still, its fascinating.

I'm assuming everyone at this point has been reading the Last Rites epilouge Grant wrote in Batman 682-683. Seeing Batman being tortured by the Lump made me wonder if the entire R.I.P. storyline was fake, a mental implant of the Lump. With the release of the second part, it's most definitely not.

So does the Joker know Bruce Wayne is Batman?

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

From what I gather, and this used to be referenced all the time in the late 80's, is that the Joker is aware on some level that Batman is Bruce Wayne but generally doesn't care or have given it a second thought. His business is with Batman alone, not Bruce Wayne. "Death in the Family" and the stories directly after really followed up on this notion and now Grant seems to as well.

The revelation I thought you were referencing was the possibility that Alfred has been dead since the 1960's and has somehow been the lump, (I see now this was before the second part of the story). I'm *pretty sure* (re: not positive) that Morrison is saying this is not the case.

I really thought it was cool that Morrison set up the subplot of chemical companies being so thoroughly immersed in all of Batman's problems for the duration of his career. It seems like a natural way for him to follow-up on his run when he returns in a few months. Considering how chemicals have effected so many of his foes and his adventures, it seems a natural 'secret enemy' of his for decades.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I keep thinking, the next issue will clear this all up. I read the last three (up to 683, Last Rites). So now I have to get Final Crisis to see what actually happens in the end... nevertheless, I enjoyed R.I.P. and the somewhat surrealistic life review in Last Rites. And it's always great to see Batman do stuff like escape from a buried coffin and turn the tables on criminals. Jezebel Jet gets her comeuppance from Talia; one can only imagine.

They could lose that Damian kid for about 10 years, so annoying. Fortunately, he had a bit part.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.