Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, hopefully you guys will be proved right. As you can tell by earlier in the thread, I love Batman and I love Morrison so I don't want to see the title suck.

But if message boards taught me anything these last 10 years, its that when something annoys you to such a degree, you must not only say how much you dislike it, you must go out of your way to destroy it [Big Grin] [Wink]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd rather see Damien grow up into a well-tempered hero than killed off. Or even a bit of a rascally, borderline bad guy, like Catwoman.

As for killing Dick Grayson by 2012... I bet they don't. Of course they could always revive him, but I'm hoping that the dead heroes thing is wearing thin, and the comics industry is going to have to find another trick with which to jerk us around.

And, yeah, way too many Bat books of little interest.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm loving the Bat-books right now!

And by "Bat-books" I mean Detective and Batman & Robin, the only two I buy.

People would love DC a whole lot more if they only bought the good books, like I do. [Big Grin]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
A big point in this direction's favor is that though Dick may not be Nightwing anymore, he's still Dick here. They're not trying to make him just like Bruce; they're writing this fully respecting that there's a different, well-defined character under the cowl with a rich personality very distinctive from Bruce Wayne. Yes, there was nothing wrong with him being Nightwing, but no one's trying to strip Dick of what makes him the character we know.

Another way to look at this is that Nightwing's comic had pretty much been crap since Chuck Dixon left, both from my own experience and from what I've heard since I dropped the title. Apparently, Tomasi was bringing it around towards the end, but this was after years of very forgettable runs started by that hack Devin Grayson. I'd certainly soured on the title and the character and may never have jumped back on board regardless of what creator came on board (short of a Geoff Johns-type announcement).

Rather than this being a lead-in to DC killing him off, I think it'll be a lead-in to a new era of interest and creative enrgy infused in the character after he takes off the cowl, whether it's a return to Nightwing or whatever. It'll be a chance for him to take his place next to Hal Jordan and other recent successful character revivals.

I think that's where DC is going with this, honestly, and if so, I support the effort. I personally think Dick has been stuck in a rut for a while, and this may just be the shot in the arm he needs. He's just been bouncing around in a kind of purgatory between a mediocre-to-lousy solo title and umpteen Titans or Outsiders revivals. Maybe he'll emerge from this stronger than ever with a new higher profile and that rut fading in his rearview mirror. A big part of that, I believe, should be to finally end his involvement with the Titans.

Time for him to grow up and leave the kid stuff behind, I say. I'd be just as mad if he reverts back to the same old crappy treadmill he's been on as I would if DC killed him.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm enjoying Batwoman in Detective. That may not be a good thing because what I like lately never seems to be commercially successful. I would love to see this version of Batwoman sell. The visuals are really interesting.

[ August 08, 2009, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The Batwoman part is good, great even. This is the first time I've picked up a Batman book since Hush.

My issue is with the Question part. Slow, slow, slow. A whole page dedicated to watching the Question walk down a hallway, sheesh. Shame too. The premise of the story seemed good, though the question aspect a bit silly.

Dropped it off my list. Can't pay $4 for a $2.50 book.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raging Bull
Maverick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raging Bull           Edit/Delete Post     
Quite a trick, secreting a poisoned razor blade in one's mouth while still being able to speak (and cough) without impediment.

Other than that little belief-dissuspender, I'm enjoying the adventures of Batwoman.

(Poor Dick: first, he gets the number of covens in Gotham wrong; second, he's apparently clueless when it comes to the difference between genuine red hair and a red wig. Didn't all his canoodling with Barbara Gordon teach him anything?)

--------------------
♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦

From: The open range | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Kate and Maggie Sawyer chatting and dancing in tuxes at a society event in Detective #856. We've come a long way, Baby. The artwork continues to be amazing. Bette is an interesting addition. Looks like Kate's father is in serious trouble.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
It's nice that Williams was able to make Bette LOOK like she came from the West Coast by giving her a tan. Of course, that might mean Flamebird might succumb to her new arch enemy, the dreaded Melamaniac.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So anyone not a fan of Jason Todd's return might want to read the current arc in Batman & Robin. I know I'm excited for the next issue. Tan's artwork is very different than Quietly's, and their stories reflect that in their tone. I don't know if it's Grant tailoring the story for each artist, but the energy, the mood, the story become something different with each artist.

The other Batman book is starting to finally come out from under the shadow of Battle for the Cowl. Currently it's still finding it's feet, but there's some fun stories with interesting leads and ideas. It doesn't have the distinct feel that Grant has brought to his book. I'm just waiting for the right creative team to bring it all together.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Detective Comics is the most beautiful book on the stands. The artwork in all three issues of Batwoman's story has been inventive as well as evocative. Much like Quietly and Tan have defined the tone on their work in B&R, Williams gives a mood to 'Tec that is distinct and captivating. Rucka said he didn't want the book to be about Kane's sexuality, but Williams certainly plays up the sexiness of both Kate Kane and Batwoman.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Ceej, you've summed up some of the appeal of the art in 'Tec. Whereas Rucka is purposely avoiding going into Kate's sexuality so explicitly, it lets Williams really showcase his extraordinary talent by doing so himself without all the story focus. Its really just an incredible book to behold.

I was just about to drop Sirens of Gotham City, since it really isn't all that great, but the latest Riddler-centric story (I may be an issue or two behind actually) was pretty well done. Not be Dini either, surprisingly but by Scott Lobdell, showin he still can do a great story. I'm still on the fence on whether I'd pick up another issue.

BTW, my favorite Dick-as-Batman appearance thus far? (readers of this thread know I'm not thrilled with it). Latest issue of Booster Gold. Really well done sequence with Dick and Booster, and it compliments the Booster/Bruce sequence from early on in Booster's current series. It showcases Dick's personality very well, I think without beating us over the head with it.

Still refusing to even browse Batman until Winnick is gone...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

The latest issue of SIRENS brings Dini back. This book doesn't have the fun of S6, nor the charm of BOP. Like Cobie, i enjoyed the riddler story (by Lobdell?!!!?!?!?!) but Dini's story hasn't cut it. We get a wrap on the Joker story, with a nice bit of nod to Bat-history. And it's fitting that Dini does it.

The artwork here sometimes looks really incredible. Other times it looks inscomplete. This book is trying hard to be a must have title, and there's so much potential. Just not sure I want to keep waiting.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

STREETS OF GOTHAM - Dini's other Bat book has me on the fence as well. I like getting the occasional story of a bystander's POV for one of Bats' adventures. Too often they end up being overly sappy. That hasn't been the case with this title. But instead, we seem to hop from character to character within issue. It doesn't give us time to get attached to any one POV- still not sure if that's good or bad.

Again, waiting for it to grab me. Not sure I want to continue.

Jerry
active

Another thumbs up for Detective #859. Rucka is succeeding in giving Batwoman a compelling origin and back story.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.