Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I never gave it a chance to be honest. I enjoyed Dini's Detective arc but felt by the end he'd kind of strayed from his formula and Streets didn't seem appealing.

Truthfully, and this isn't exactly the best reason not to buy something, I was feeling a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of Bat-books in the sense that "DC is trying to screw me over". It's the same feeling I get with all the X-Men books by Marvel (even Dynamite is doing it with Green Hornet). Part of me can't allow myself to get them all unless I really feel I'm part of something special, which this current era of Batman doesn't feel like. So I only decided to collect Batman & Robin, Detective and Batman, putting my foot down on all the rest. I do plan on getting Dark Knight and Batman, Inc. though.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll see if I can flip through a few issues at the store before buying them.

I know what you mean about having to put your foot down on buying certain Bat-titles CK. Does anyone out there buy all of them? That must cost a fortune. I am at the moment only buying Batman & Robin and The Return of Bruce Wayne (and Batman while Grant Morrison guests on it) but come November the only definite on my pull-list will be Batman Inc. (though I am not a fan of the new costume).

The others are all maybes, with Batman & Robin, Knight & Squire and the Batman/Catwoman: Follow the Money one shot being the most likely to make it into my bag. Batwoman and The Dark Knight will undoubtedly look pretty but the unproven writing talents mean I'll be waiting for reviews first there.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I know what you mean about having to put your foot down on buying certain Bat-titles CK. Does anyone out there buy all of them? That must cost a fortune. I am at the moment only buying Batman & Robin and The Return of Bruce Wayne (and Batman while Grant Morrison guests on it) but come November the only definite on my pull-list will be Batman Inc. (though I am not a fan of the new costume).

One of the things Grant said at the SDCC panel was that he liked having a variety of Bat-Books you can pick and choose from, disparaging the days when you had to "Buy them all". So I don't think your meant to have to get "Everything" (though DC would like you to, I'm sure), but at the same time, the teams are working to ensure co-ordination and communication.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I agree. I certainly don't feel I'm missing out on anything by just getting the few that I do. It is good that there seems to be a Bat-title for everyone out there - almost literally everyone come November. [LOL]

It seems obvious that Dick Grayson is staying on in the role for a while too so I wonder how that will shake out - having two different Batmen as the leads in their respective books?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

For the longest time I collected them all. When Robin, Nightwing and Birds of Prey were all cancelled, I decided that it was time I gave the Bat-Books the same treatment I give the X-books. The only titles I feel any really loyalty to are Detective and Batman, and only because our collection (my father's and mine) extends back into the 1950's.

For what its worth (not much I wager), I decided that as long as Tim Drake is 'Red Robin', I will not buy his book; if he is 'Robin', I will. If Dick is 'Nightwing', I will certainly try out his title; if he remains Batman, then there is a good chance I may not.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
It seems obvious that Dick Grayson is staying on in the role for a while too so I wonder how that will shake out - having two different Batmen as the leads in their respective books?

James Robinson has also maintained that Dick Grayson - in whatever ID - will stay in his Justice League. So unless editorial thinks otherwise, Dick will be Batman there as well.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I really feel I'm part of something special

Oh, you're special, all right... [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Hug]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Streets of Gotham was suppose to be more of a POV book from the average citizen of Gotham on the adventures of Batman. it didn't last long, and it's more a general vigilatnes of gotham style book. In the year or so since it's launch, at least 3 issues have been written by someone else. There have been some good bits - the opening arc with Firefly, the Huntress/Man-bat story. It's not a bad book, but not as tied to the Bruce Wayne drama as BATMAN and B&R. If you like the idea of an urban vigilante, but don't want to mess around in Bruce's psyche, than this is the book for you. Tho' I do think Dini's Hush story will close out the series.

[ August 19, 2010, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: CJ Taylor ]

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
As for the flood of Bat books, even Bruce can't support more than 2 titles on his own. All these mini series should be folded into the main books, help keep them fresh. These one shots- make an 80 page giant out of them. DC's getting over $30 a month on the monthlies I buy, no way I'm wasting money on one shots designed to test a characters Q rating.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I am definately going to check out Detective when Snyder and Jock start on the title. Outside of that...I don't read any Batman stuff.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

quote:

Well according to the cover images used for the November solicits:

Dick will be wearing the yellow oval-less Batsuit, paired with Damian, for B&R. And featured in BATMAN.

Both BATMAN, INC & B:TDK feature Bruce and the yellow oval.

'TEC doesn't seem to specify one or the other.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I may discontine Batman & Robin after Morrison leaves. In fact I may not buy any core Batman titles off the stands, not even Batman, Inc., though it will be the most tempting. The $3.99 price points on many of them and the uncertainty about the creative teams are the main factors. Most likely, I'll trade-wait on them and buy those in that form if the reviews are good.

I will, however, continue buying Batgirl monthly and Batwoman when it debuts,

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Funny how the interim Batman storyarc with Morrison and Tony Daniel--the "Missing Storyline"--is a 2-parter in which the two issues give me completely separate feelings.

In the first issue, in which is more based on the ramifications of Batman: RIP, was something I was highly interested in and loved.

The second issue, in which if more heavily focused on the events of Final Crisis, I found myself a bit uninterested and bored. I'm still so blase about that story that I can't really muster much interest, even though Batman's story there is so tied into Bruce's current journey.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Funny how the interim Batman storyarc with Morrison and Tony Daniel--the "Missing Storyline"--is a 2-parter in which the two issues give me completely separate feelings.

In the first issue, in which is more based on the ramifications of Batman: RIP, was something I was highly interested in and loved.

The second issue, in which if more heavily focused on the events of Final Crisis, I found myself a bit uninterested and bored. I'm still so blase about that story that I can't really muster much interest, even though Batman's story there is so tied into Bruce's current journey.

Now I had the opposite reaction. I thought #701 was enjoyable enough but really a waste of an issue as it didn't show anything that wasn't either inferred or explicitly stated before. I didn't find it all that necessary.

But #702 blew my socks off. I really informs the whole narrative of RIP as well as RoBW, and indeed probably the whole Morrison run. It all starts to click: The Hyper-Fauna, the Hole in Things, Thomas Wayne, time changing around him. It's like it stepped back and revealed a larger tapestry and lets you see where all the threads are running to. It's got me really excited for the conclusion of RoBW (which I was only lukewarm to before) and the next few issues of B&R.

I assume that Batman Inc. is going to be about Bruce building a global army to combat Hurt and the Black Glove, with some kind of crazy end game. If so, count me in for the ride.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Detective Comics
I was just praising David Hine in the Spirit thread, and I’ve been a huge fan of the Bulletproof Coffin since it’s debut, and now I have to offer up even more praise to the masterful writer for his latest story in Detective. One again, he seems to be providing the very best Dick-as-Batman stories since the status quo was changed, and this latest story, in which Batman has to deal with “The Imposter Wars” is a genius idea that I’m shocked no one has thought of before. Hine crafts an excellent Batman story that continues to move at a rapid fire pace as an excellent premise is executed. He also had Dick make a minor mistake in the beginning—not taking the threat seriously—that causes Dick to regret it later, which is a subtle example of writing Dick as Batman, differentiating him from Bruce.

Scott McDaniel, who has no doubt by now proved himself to be one of the great Batman artists of the modern era (and Nightwing, Robin and other Bat-related characters), does a great job reminding me why I love his Gotham City artwork.

The Return of Bruce Wayne
I am still loving this every step of the way, and Morrison is just knocking it out of the park more and more with each issue. I love, love, love, the idea of Bruce handing his descendents the classic pearls that Martha Wayne had when she was murdered (little bit of Batman trivia: it was Frank Miller who added that bit to the mythos in Year One).

Does anyone know of any really good annotations websites for Morrison’s Batman, specifically the Return of Bruce Wayne and RIP? I’d love to see what clues and bits I’ve missed over time, especially the ones I may forget when it takes me 2 months to read the next installment.

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.