Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
Bat-Wing #1 was a thing of beauty... the art is gorgeous... I can't say enough good about it... dark and atmospheric... pretty graphic at times too, but it matched the story, which was compelling in a way I haven't seen in quite a while... this book by far was the biggest surprise for me this week... if you're willing to go out on a limb for something, this would be it...

Of all the new DC's this week, Bat-Wing was the only one that my CBS sold out of completely this week. I'm almost positive this was the one the totally under-ordered, but still, it says a lot that every copy sold out.

Most reviews of it have been positive so I may try to find it elsewhere. I forgot to get Flashpoint #5 (I guess I just stopped caring?) so this gives me a reason to go back to the CBS for them both.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
Bat-Wing #1 was a thing of beauty... the art is gorgeous... I can't say enough good about it... dark and atmospheric... pretty graphic at times too, but it matched the story, which was compelling in a way I haven't seen in quite a while... this book by far was the biggest surprise for me this week... if you're willing to go out on a limb for something, this would be it...

Of all the new DC's this week, Bat-Wing was the only one that my CBS sold out of completely this week. I'm almost positive this was the one the totally under-ordered, but still, it says a lot that every copy sold out.

Most reviews of it have been positive so I may try to find it elsewhere. I forgot to get Flashpoint #5 (I guess I just stopped caring?) so this gives me a reason to go back to the CBS for them both.

At the suggestion of the legendary LMBer Shark Lad, I picked up Batwing; I’d previously given it a pass mainly because I didn’t want yet one more Bat-title and Judd Winnick as writer is a very hard sell for me. Yet, multiple reviews pointed out how surprisingly good this was, and Sharky confirmed it.

Comic books set in the Africa—specifically the brutal Democratic Republic of the Congo—used to be a tough sell for me, mainly because of the sheer brutality of it all. That all changed in the last few years because of Joshua Drysart’s incredible Unknown Soldier comic, which was one of the best and most powerful comic series ever. Batwing is a different animal completely, being a superhero Bat-related title, but I can see from issue #1 that Winnick intends to at least use some of the powerful themes of Unknown Soldier as part of this series. I welcome it now.

First thing first: Batwing is one of the best looking comics to come out this week. The art by Ben Oliver is absolutely stunning, and even the colors by Brian Reber enhance the beauty of it, by being somewhat muted and almost pastel in places. The series balances from suspensy Bat-type stuff to brutal, gritty realism. Yet you can tell the artists can (and likely will) show some exquisitely beautiful African scenery when the story calls for it.

Secondly, a nice delight was the very tight writing by Judd Winnick. I know Winnick can succeed greatly at times (he did at least several great Green Arrow and Green Lantern stories back in the day). He paces it tightly and gives a great information dump while keeping it exciting. The politics of Africa are ever-present yet he never once steps into preachy territory as he sometimes does. And he delivers a fantastically brutal ending. This is yet another fantastic DCnU #1 ending (like Static Shock, Animal Man and so many others).

Batwing himself is likable and interesting, and his secret identity as a cop is very welcome. Batman plays a very subtle quasi-mentor role here which works. And Winnick has already introduced a fantastic nemesis in Massacre. Compiled on that is the mystery of the Kingdom, the seven original African superheroes from the early days of the DCU. All of these elements enhance the ‘superhero’ elements of the story which totally differentiates the series from the heaviness of other African related stories set in Uganda, the Sudan, DoC, etc.

DC surprised me yet again with a solid opening issue!

Cobie Comparison: Did I enjoy it more than Justice League #1? Absolutely! Another great opening issue.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

With my ‘DCnU’ comics all done, I’ve turned to some others in my stack from the past few weeks I haven’t gotten to, including the final issue of the first incarnation of Batman Incorporated as the title goes on hiatus before returning in 2012. From the onset, this series has been utterly fantastic and I’ll eagerly await for its return.

This final issue had artwork by Scott Clark and Dave Beatty that purposely made it look computer-generated to fit the story; while I appreciate the artistic license in doing this, I did find it a little annoying and distracting.

Despite that, Grant Morrison delivers, as usual, as fantastic story featuring Oracle and Batman “within” a cyber world as spyware battling terrorist computer viruses. Even typing that just now makes me take a second to remember how brilliant Morrison is. With distracting art and all, the script is still really fantastic and I was able to overcome my annoyance. It was also a great done-in-one, which Morrison has peppered his Batman run with.

It’s fitting that the final Batman, Inc. story features Oracle as she’ll be sorely missed in the DCnU. I still think this is the single biggest error DC is making (and really kind of unforgivable) but I won’t harp on it here; there’s already enough threads about that. Still, nice to see a kickass Oracle story that actually had her as a cyber Batgirl.

The issue ends with a revelation about Leviathan and the return of an important character from earlier in Morrison’s Batman run. I can’t wait to see the story picked up in 2012!

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Read the new Batman & Robin #1 today. Bear in mind that I haven't really read much Batman of late short of the first few issues of the last Batman & Robin and Batman Inc.

Speaking of Batman Inc, I'm fascinated that it and some of the new "Batmen" of the world have been getting so much play in these new books. It seems like a story element we don't need except maybe in Batwing, especially without a Batman Inc. book out right now to help clue in new readers. A cool nod to the Batworld at large, I just worry new readers won't get it.

The big new status quo of the issue really is that Bruce and Damian are now a duo, despite the fact in-story Bruce makes a (fairly cool but insignificant to the larger concept) status quo change for himself in regards to mourning his parents. I liked that Bruce, in his own way, was trying to teach Damian about his grandparents.

Damian's attitude, as it always has been for me, is a very dangerous personality trait. It can be very off-putting unless played off the right characters. I'm not sure how well it'll fit with Bruce; I don't see him as taking a lot of the grief and shaping Damian into something better like Dick was. Especially if Damian keeps pulling stunts that end up getting the perps killed.

"Nobody" is clearly the big, new(?) bad guy for this arc ... the only problem is after issue one he's not really done anything directly to or interacted with Bats and Robs yet. I'd have rather seen him make his next move this issue instead of issue two over the filler fight at the university.

It was an okay enough book. It was a book that knew what it was doing and you can tell it's building to something both in the Batman/Robin relationship as well as with the new villain. Despite that, I think this is one of the DCNu titles that I have a strong chance of forgetting to pick up again. There wasn't anything terrible about the book, it simply didn't grab me and there's a lot of other, more engaging titles out right now competing for my attention. I've always liked Batman but never been able to really get into any of his titles, weird as that sounds.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Another main Batman title went on sale this week with Batman & Robin, which is naturally very different from the other Bat-titles because of the focus on Robin (obviously). The creative team is Pete Tomasi and Patrick Gleason who did a fantastic job together on Green Lantern Corps in recent memory.

The issue had a lot of good going for it: strong pacing, great art, really cool use of a Moscow Batman as part of the Batman Inc. aspect of the mythos while that title is on hiatus and best of all, the idea of Bruce no longer dwelling on his parent's death but instead focusing on their lives--and by focusing on his son. Lots of good.

However, there is something I just can't get over--I hate Damien! He's the worst! Honestly, he's the most annoying character in comics for me. I wish, wish, wish he was erased during this relaunch. All the annoying qualities of him, between being a know-it-all to not respecting anyone--are things that caused fans to want Jason Todd to get killed. Well, annoying-ass Jason Todd took a crowbar in the teeth and it was awesome, and Damien is overdue. Okay, end rant. [Big Grin]

When it comes down to it, Damien's presence limits my enjoyment of this comic. But even beyond that, the usually terrific Tomasi still wasn't quite as good as Tony Daniel on Detective last week, which seemed to be firing on all cylinders and had a great ending.

Cobie Comparison: did I enjoy it as much as JL #1? No. Also not as much as 'Tec #1 if we're comparing Bat-titles (psst, we are now).

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
There were interesting aspects to both Batman & Robin and Detective but Damien was dreadfully annoying. The gory Joker stuff in Detective put me off and I probably won't continue with that series, but I have no desire whatsoever to read more of Damien's snarkery. Usually in stories the bratty spoiled kid gets his comeuppance or learns a lesson and changes, so maybe they'll revise his attitude at some point.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I really think Damien is awesome, but only when either Morrison is at the helm, or in a few scattered instances (Superman/Batman and Batgirl appearances).

Yes, he's a snarky little puke, but that's because of his upbringing and he is (was?) coming around. There's a line in Morrison's first issue of Batman and Robin where Dick basically says "My God, Alfred, if we don't save this kid, who will?" and that became the driving focus of the series. And it was great.

This relaunch, not so much. And the problem is Bruce. Damien's story was very much rooted in his playing off of Dick. Aside from the obvious play on the dynamic Duo of having a light-hearted Batman and a hard as nails Robin, Dick really brought the good out in Damien. With Bruce, it's like trying to tell a joke with two straight men, and I'm worried it's not going to work out so well.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Regarding the cliffhanger for 'Tec #1:
Click Here For A SpoilerI was wondering if there was a reason Dr Arkham and Joker had simialr facial features and I still do. I also wonder if this is just a way to make the Joker look more like Heath Ledger.

I liked how Daniel made Batman a little more human during his fight with Joker in that he admits to not knowing everything about everything and having everything already planned out.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Dave makes a good point re: the little puke. I read a few issues when Dick was Batman and Damien seemed like a wise-ass, but eager to learn and please. He probably had less need to lock horns with Dick than with his father.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
That Damien kid turned me way off. Pass.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
AWW MAN I *loved* Damien Wayne in the last iteration of Batman and Robin.

I loved his interplay with his mentor goody two shoes Dick/Batman! And how Damien didn't think he was the *real* Batman and had this extravagant notion of the legendary Batman. it was interesting though because Damien needed the type of good guy Dick is as a mentor ... to teach the little psycho path to be a good person. And Damien was trying to be better and live up to his father's larger than life legacy.

I LOVED it when Damien showed up to interrogate the Joker with a crowbar!!! haha that's a different type of Robin ... Joker. [LOL] and the best part is when the Joker cowers and says 'you sound like ... HIM'

I think it would be interesting to see Damien adjust to the disappointment of Bruce Wayne compared to the Bat legend ... and what he could learn from that. And maybe he would relate to Dick a lot easier than Bruce after all.

Bummed to hear it sounds like he's not being written as well or the set up is less gripping. I'll have to flip through it at the CBS to see what it's like.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Scott Snyder rocked Batman #1. Holy cow, that was a great first issue. He really gets the supporting cast, he really gets Bruce, he really gets the detective aspect and he's set up a great mystery. Colour me impressed at the debut. I'm not reading Nightwing, but I'm interested to know if this ties in closely, because Dick is certainly going to be an important part of this first arc.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
For a bit of a pre-DCnU flashback, I read Detective Comics #881 last week. This was the final issue of Detective Vol. 1 and the conclusion of Scott Snyder's run writing Dick Grayson as Batman. This was simply a STUNNING book from both a story and art perspective.

The issue features the long-building confrontation with Click Here For A SpoilerJames Gordon, Jr.! This is a brutally disturbed individual who has absolutely no empathy for others. In a long dialogue with Barbara Gordon (who is being held captive) he explains his nature and what he has done throughout the years very explicitly up through his current campaign. In a way he's a lot more terrifying than the Joker because he just seems so much more real. No gimmicks, no costume--just a psychopath in the mood to create more psychopaths!

Cobie and I are really in to artist Francesco Francavilla, and he really delivers in his portion that details the scenes between Barbara and our bad guy, even though they're mostly talky, expository scenes. He makes them very visually arresting!

Jock is also a fine artist and captures his scenes very well. It's a more raw, scratchy style but also very effective and engaging.

I LOVED Snyder's run on Detective. Better than anyone, I think he wrote Dick as a more distinct and unique Batman than the other writers have in this era. I'll actually miss Snyder writing Dick. From what I've heard, though, he's already doing great with Bruce on the Batman relaunch.

In a way this issue was kind of a love letter and a send-off to the Barbara Gordon/Oracle era. She gets a great spotlight. And even though she suffers violently at the hands of the villain, her spirit shines through, and she fights with all she has.

If you ever have the chance to read Detective Comics #s 871 thru 881, I'd highly recommend you do so. I'd say it's one of the best runs in a Batman title in recent memory.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, first there was Action Comics that was a clear front-runner for best of the best, and now there is Batman. Hands down, this was an A+, excellent, delivered as promised Batman relaunch that hit every mark. Fantastic.

Like Lardy, I've been following Snyder for some time and now consider him one of my favorite writers. His prior run in Detective was a big part of that and he continues that greatness here. The issue is paced perfectly with a good amount of time alloted to Bruce so readers get to know him again, but then lots of time left to spotlight all the necessary characters plus more: Dick, Tim, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Vicki Vale (!), Bullock (really well done) and even Damien. A new character is also introduced.

But perhaps the character that really shines the most is Gotham City. Both Snyder and Capullo perfectly capture the city and reiterate it's importance and uniqueness.

Speaking of Capullo he was utterly fantastic. I've always like his art and he nails it here, keeping it fresh and exciting so mood and energy just pop off the page. He's aided and abetted by inker Jonathan Glapion, his partner from Haunt, who is one of the best inkers in the business and compliments Capullo's artwork well. Glapion doesn't shy away from detail and he not only keeps the darkness aspect present, he also adds a certain superhero shine to it all.

The issue introduces a new mystery and that is where Snyder excels--with mystery and suspense. Cant wait for the next issue!

Cobie Comparison: did I enjoyore than JL #1? hell yes! Candidate for best of DCnU!

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So if a reader were to get just one of the Bruce Wayne titles, which one would be the best bet? Sounds like BATMAN, I think?

First sign of a line-wide crossover and I'm out though... that's what has kept me from reading bat-titles other than NIGHTWING or BIRDS OF PREY.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.