Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 20)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yea, def start with Batman. If you feel like a second, try Detective.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Of all the Batman books, I enjoyed Batman the most. Loved the artwork, Batman's long cape dragging on the ground (impractical but regally spooky), the cityscapes, the way he knows even the gossip-level information about people like Dan Mathhews' wife, the techy stuff and the presence of a seemingly-normal Bruce Wayne. The three Robins are a bit confusing, or mind-bending, especially since they look like they're about 14, 10 and 6 years old, but I'll just have to overlook that.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I wrapped up a month of Batman relaunches with The Dark Knight, which is really a David Finch production with writer Paul Jenkins brought in to lend Finch some assistance in hopes that by some miracle Finch won't fall behind schedule. Jenkins recently blew my mind on his Deadman story and I'm a fan of Finch's incredible artwork. But I have to say, I found the issue to be a bit disappointing.

The major problem is that it's all just so by the numbers. It hits several sequences that have already actually done in other Bat-titles this month, like a charity event and a breakout at Arkham Asylum. Er, why didn't an editor cross check with the other titles? These tropes were not only already done but done better. The plot is clearly Finch's intention to make a story that let's him draw whatever he feels like; but even Jenkins' dialogue feels like it was thrown in last minute and doesn't have his full attention. The introduction of a potential love interest is too similar to Morrison's Jezebal Jet, except she's half-Indian instead of half-African. Again it's all very by the numbers.

From an art perspective it looks fantastic. I just wish there was a better story attached.

Also, the cliffhanger was kind of laughable--no where near the effect of Detective.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Being a month behind, I just caught up to Detective Comics #1 today. Overall, I wasn't as blown away by it as most people seemed to be. Probably didn't help that the "shock" ending was spoiled for me long before I ever read it. To be fair, though, since this isn't on my official pull, it was probably that very same spoilage that convinced me to pick it up.

The story really wasn't all that entertaining or original until the ending. Daniel pretty much went by the numbers showing Gordon, Alfred, the Batcave, etc. In fact I was a little confused by the police pursuing Batman. I mean, if Batman Inc. still happened, it would seem that ol' Bats should still be at a height of public acceptance. I suppose it's possible that whatever changed Batman Inc.'s status quo might explain it, though. Also, it's possible that the unseen mayor would be the element that's changed things the most, as implied.

The art, though, was the real appeal here. I mean, I stared at and flipped back to that gorgeous 2-page splash of Batman swinging over the city a few times. The cityscape backgrounds were beautiful throughout. Also, I definitely detected some Frank Miller influence in how Daniel portrayed Batman and the Joker on several shots. To me, that was a positive.

Anyhow, there's a bit of a mystery as to what the Joker and Dollmaker are up to. Hopefully, it's a bit more than a take on the movie Face/Off.

So while I wasn't blown away like I expected to be, I was intrigued by the possibilities at the end and especially by Tony Salvadore Daniel's oftimes gorgeous artwork enough that I'll give it a few issues.

[ October 12, 2011, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Huntress was a decent by-the-numbers adventure story. Helena is in Italy following up on a weapons smuggling case and comes across white slavers in the process. She decides to stick around and clean up this mess. The organised criminals don't take kindly to this and the war is on.

There's nothing wrong with the issue per se, but it's not mindblowingly great either.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Batman #2 was a bit of a step down from last month. Not that it was bad in any way, but it didn't "pop" like the premiere issue did. I think my expectations may have been too high.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So, catching up on Week 1 for month 2, I found myself:

(A) Again impressed by the effort put forth by Tony Daniel on Detective Comics. He really seems to be clicking here on the writing and art, and it reads like a really great Batman story in the making.

(B) Batwing, which is shaping up to be Judd Winnick's best superhero story ever IMO! Really solid job by everyone involved and by issue's end I realized something: I care about Batwing, his adventures, his setting and want to see this seris succeed. And originally, I had no intention of even trying this comic.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, I have to admit I was surprised by Batman & Robin #2; after finding the first issue the Bat-title I liked the least out of all 9 of them, I thought the follow-up was a definite step in the right direction. There was certainly a lot to like but without the annoying Damien parts we've become accustomed to seeing.

Batman's struggle to redeem Damien, and the struggle of being a father, comes much more into focus and gets you to root for him succeeding. I can't help but think it will only end in tragedy but at least I can empathize with Batman.

I love Bruce adding a Great Dane to the family. New Ace the Bat-Hound?

Also like the League of Shadows plotline and the organization's natural reaction to Batman, Inc. Very solid idea.

All in all, more enjoyable comic than #1.

SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Batwing #3 was another great issue... love the building mystery of the Kingdom... As gripping as the story is, Ben Oliver's art is nothing short of amazing... and while I'm heaping praise, Brian Reber's colors give the story just the right tone...

4 fins up!

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Detective #3... this is one seriously messed up story... in a good way... the Dollmaker is creepy as hell... the art is stunning... next issue - Batman vs. the Jokers (yes, that is supposed to be plural)

4 fins up!

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So I just read Detective #2, and bruce hooks up AGAIN?!?! Between Selina last month and this Charlotte reporter lady, it appears this DCnU Batman's a PLAYA! (Hope he's carrying plenty of Bat-Condoms on him... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Huntress #2 was a solid read, and more engaging somehow than the first issue. Helena's on an ass-kicking spree, hunting down the slavers. She's shown as a competent, no-nonsense hero, who's taking care of business. Really dug it.
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Batman #3 was great, a rebound (for me), form last issue. Love it when Bruce is shown as a competent Detective and the mystery runs deep. The court of Owls is obviously creepy stuff, and even though "Secret Societies" in Gotham are a standard trope, this still looks pretty fresh.
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm really enjoying the Court of Owls story and its use of the architecture of Gotham.

It could relate to the Jonah Hex storyline, with its secret society, but that hasn't been identified as Court of Owls.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm also loving the Court of Owls story in Batman. The entire sequence where Batman discovers the secret 13th floor(s) in Gotham's buildings was really eerie! Snyder and Capullo did an excellent job building the tension panel by panel and just drawing me further and further in.

FC, I think you're right--the Hex storyline would so neatly tie-in that I feel it has to be so!

Detective Comics has also been pretty good though I have to admit that Dollmaker and company is getting way too over the top for me. They're just so grotesque and gory that I can't help but giggle a little about it, which is probably *not* the reaction I'm supposed to be having. It's like Batman is guest-starring in "the Hills Have Eyes" or "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". For some reason, it just doesn't all click together. Yet, other than the premise (a major thing, I know), Daniel's art and writing are really top-notch! A weird dichotomy.

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.