Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 21)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Huntress #3 Helena stays on the trail of the mobster/slaver only to discover a wider plot to cover the escape of a North Africa dictator from the Arab Spring. With the corruption reaching into the police and government, Huntress has to kick a lot of different butt to get close to her ultimate prey. Another solid outing.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Batman #4 Snyder continues to tell a solid Batman tale. As Bruce gets closer to the Court of Owls, they also go after him. A nice scene with Dick, and some good Detective work. Only thing I didn't like was the flashback. "Young Bruce was on to something" stories always make me groan. I know it's an established Bat-trope, and we are in new territory continuity-wise, but creating a childhood nemesis/connection to a current story with "Young Bruce" just always seems ham-fisted to me, even when good writers do it.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rhianna are teachers at a school for supervillains in Leviathan Strikes.

Grant Morrison got in my good books again.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Batman Incorporated, Leviathan Strikes - This one is full on Morrison, which will delight some (me) and frustrate others (the internet). Basically a one-shot collecting the last two unpublished Batman Inc. issues, followed by a nice multi-page recap of what's happened to date (Including things people are bound to have forgotten/missed).

The first story is a fun Batgirl story where she goes undercover in a private school for girl assassins. Totally fun, cool and campy, but not corny. It makes me regret I didn't give Stephanie much notice as Batgirl, because Morrison certainly has her rock out here.

The second story is about Batman Inc, closing in on Dr. Daedalus and what they think is the heart of "Leviathan". Bruce is exposed to Daedelus's gas, which gives him a form of Alzheimer's, and then we get things from Bruce's perspective (in which Morrison goes to town with disjointed narrative and time skips, that will give migraines to those who found Final Crisis choppy). The day is saved by Batman Inc, including a fateful decision by Damien that will resonate later when the series returns, and the not-so unexpected mastermind villain is revealed (which will make a nice endpoint to Morrison's run when it concludes next year).

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Doesn't it make sense that the villain would be that one? I mean, it makes Morrison's work come full circle since his beginning work with Batman and Son.

Oroborous. The serpent that eats its own tail.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Doesn't it make sense that the villain would be that one? I mean, it makes Morrison's work come full circle since his beginning work with Batman and Son.

Oroborous. The serpent that eats its own tail.

Agreed, which is why I said the "not-so unexpected villain", although on other boards a lot of people are claiming to be caught off-guard by the reveal.
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

And I think one of the teachers at Steph's school, Miss Hexley, might've been Madonna.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Huntress #4 - Kudos to Paul for trying to bring some "ripped from the headlines" geo-politics into the book, but honestly, the Libya-style dictator family make for some boring villains. Huntress tracks down some more of the crime ring and takes them out, but it still doesn't seem like a lot of progression happens. I think this series would have been better served compressed into 4 issues, because nothing in this issue was too different from issue #3.

It's also fun to see a competent Huntress, but she also needs some more threatening opposition soon.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
And I think one of the teachers at Steph's school, Miss Hexley, might've been Madonna.

Steph's three teachers at the school were Katy Perry, Rhianna and Lady Gaga (although since Lady Gaga is such a Madonna rip-off it's easy to see how one could make that mistake).

As for Leviathan Strikes - it was OK. I have been a HUGE fan of everything Morrison has done with the Bat-verse since he came on board (except for that muddled, messy Internet 2.0 issue of Batman Inc.) but this issue left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

I liked the first half with Steph as Batgirl. It had great art and some fun, zany ideas that reminded me of Morrison's superlative Seven Soldiers series.

But when we got to the second half with all the time-shifting I just felt like we'd done all of that before with Morrison. Reading an issue that constantly wrong-foots you with all of it's time and space jumping was really exciting the first couple of times he did it, but if it's going to become his go-to "thing" then it's going to start feeling old IMO. As it kinda did here.

I didn't really get into anything that took place on that sinking ship. When even just the concept of Batman fighting a villain on a sinking ship should have been a total winner!

I wasn't really into the villain reveal either. I get the symmetry to the beginning of Morrison's Bat-opus, and it gets points for being blindingly obvious and yet someone I never suspected, but I feel like that character has been used so much and so badly over the last few years (especially by Geoff Johns in Infinite Crisis and Gail Simone in Villains United) that I would really have much rather they been rested for a while before featuring in stories again. And I'm not sure I like where this story is going to take them either.

That said, I may not be around to read it anyway. As much as I loved some aspects of the old DCU (and this run on Batman would have been near the very top of that list) it almost felt like a relief to drop all my DC comics when the nuBoot happened. And I'm not sure this book has inspired me to re-think that decision when Morrison's new Batman ongoing starts up again.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
DC's idea of "holding the line at $2.99": http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/07/will-join-batman-detective-comics-together-at-399/

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Huntress #4 - Kudos to Paul for trying to bring some "ripped from the headlines" geo-politics into the book, but honestly, the Libya-style dictator family make for some boring villains. Huntress tracks down some more of the crime ring and takes them out, but it still doesn't seem like a lot of progression happens. I think this series would have been better served compressed into 4 issues, because nothing in this issue was too different from issue #3.

It's also fun to see a competent Huntress, but she also needs some more threatening opposition soon.

I agree 100%... love the art, but the story is dragging big time...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Great little Catwoman back-up story in Detective #5 featuring the son (was this his first appearance?) of an old Batman villain... totally unexpected and totally more impressive than the lead story, sorry to say... may be dropping this book especially in light of the price increase...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

So I admit to growing a little bored with Snyder's Batman, but #5 was a fun issue. The innovative page layout was great, and it was interesting seeing Bruce being so thoroughly undone. I'm still not convinced this needs to go on for another year, but I'm certainly interested again.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So after a few issues, I find myself REALLY not liking Batman and Robin at all. I could barely get through the latest issue, featuring an antagonist I cared little about, even with the Henri Ducard references. I would like to like this series, but at the end of the day, I'm just not. I think I'm done for a bit, as I am with Dark Knight.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Batman #6 - The Court of Owls continues as Batman, wounded and dying is at the Court's mercy. A lot of what he sees is drug-induced, but things get pretty bleak for the Caped Crusader until he turns the tables and makes an escape, but is in pretty bad shape.

I've been on the fence with this. It's a competently told, engaging Batman story but I'm just not feeling it. I think after Morrison blew the whole concept up and did such interesting things with it, I'm just not ready for a "standard" Batman tale, no matter how well it's told. Add to that, the super-mega upcoming crossover and I think I'm bowing out of this and switching to Batman Inc.

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.