Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's X-verse (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Marvel's X-verse
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I've hated what's been going on with the X-Books for years but I'm thinking with the recent multi-relaunch, I'm reshuffling what it is I'm going to buy, and this time not being afraid of cutting anything that doesn't do it for me. Especially since the DCnU has me buying more DC's than I expected and I already buy a ton of Marvel and independents.

First off, as I said in their own threads, X-Factor and New Mutants are cut. Both series were comics that I was just not enjoying enough to justify continuing; if anything I was reading had to be firmly cut, it was them.

Second, I'm actually going to start buying X-Men Legacy again. I realize I've missed Rogue. With the new writer coming on and a new team (love Gambit and actually really like Frenzy), this is a good time to jump back in. Meanwhile, the adjectiveless X-Men series which has been mediocre at best is getting cut to make room for Legacy; and I'll actually save $1.00 since X-Men is stupidly priced at $3.99 while Legacy is $2.99.

I'm going to try out both Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine & the X-Men since the creative teams are top notch and I've read good reviews. I've never not collected Uncanny so that's a no brainer (hell, we have an unbroken run since #1).

The other big cut I'm thinking is Uncanny X-Force. For months I was praising this series but a few things have started to annoy me. First, the story arcs drag out far too long and are all 6 issues or so. That kind of pacing doesn't do it for me. Second, Marvel has this weird tendency to release two issues per month of this comic every few months or so; its almost sneaky because they don't publicize it (they do the same thing with Avengers: Academy). That's not a good thing for me--I don't need to spend double the cost on X-Force (where with a series like Spidey, I do like it). This by far will be the hardest series to decide but I'm leaning towards cutting it. Especially if Archangel doesn't make it out of the current storyline.

I'm open to being swayed if anyone else is collecting a lot of X-series.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid: Second, I'm actually going to start buying X-Men Legacy again. I realize I've missed Rogue. With the new writer coming on and a new team (love Gambit and actually really like Frenzy),
Frenzy is on an X-team? As in Joanna Cargill, former Alliance of Evil / Acolyte? Ooh! I love that character!

If only they could drag Unuscione and Scanner alone with her, from the Acolytes!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The one and only! I'm also a fan!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's what I'M gonna do Cobes:

(pretty similar to your choices)

1. X-Men Legacy

Frenzy is a riot, and since these characters didn't make an appearance in Wolverine and the X-Men I'm hoping this series will be fairly unchanged by the schism.

2. Wolverine and the X-Men

I'm sure the art can be a turn off to some/many but I like it and I'm so glad they're back in the school. I like a lot of this side of the X family too.

3 and 4. New Mutants

I like that they're back in the world, integration being what I loved so much about the X concept, and I love Dani Moonstar. It's a great jumping on point right now. I wish the art was better. This could be on the chopping block though if it dosn't get good. I've been hoping for a jumping on point but ... NM was just never quite good enough ... and then there was all that nonsense where they were barely in their own book. I've been wanting to like it so here I go ..

Uncanny X-Men

It's got Storm, It looks to be like a good art/good action book. Which is enough to hold on to me most of the time but ... that may be not enough to keep CK !

This could be on the chopping block for me too. Mostly 'cause i don't like most of the characters spotlighted.

I'm dropping Uncanny X-Force too. I find myself confused by the stories and I get every book and have followed the X-men for over 2.5 decades now. I was also was turned off by the 2 titles of X Force during the Fear Itself run, I was even more confused and decided I didn't care that much after all.

The funny thing, even with the big dc reboot, I am guardedly much more excited about the X reboot!! I think the reason for the schism was ok. pretty good ... and long awaited after years of Cyclops' anti-hero X-Men. I'm really enjoying the new Legacy as a solid book. The new venues for Wolverine's team and the New Mutants are interesting to me

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Excellent interview with soon-to-be-former X-Men: Legacy writer Mike Carey:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/article/showquestion.asp?faq=12&fldAuto=357

I dropped his book just before it became X-Men: Legacy, not because of him, but because the Messiah Complex "event" was so awful that I wanted nothing more to do with any X-books other than X-Factor (which I ended up dropping less than a year later anyway.) But after reading this interview, I'm planning to borrow the X-Men: Legacy trades from the library.

Carey's a talented writer, if an erratic one. I loved the early arcs of his Hellblazer run, but I thought it fell apart later on. I read a couple of the Lucifer trades and didn't find them engaging. I've read some of his prose and enjoyed it.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The recent X-Men : Legacy stories are some of the best x-stories in recent history. (I never followed this title before the age of x roped me in ... which was really fun ... and separated from the whole X Marvel U ... and had nice effects of the Marvel U ... like bringing Frenzy into the spotlight)

Like I said earlier ( in this thread probably )

These comics are just good, they have heroes who DO things, and go on adventures ... and do more than just wallow in self-pit or their amoral - ness.

The last two storylines in particular: The Legion story line and the Sh'iar storylines are what i've been following.

It reminds me of how comics used to be ...

In a sea of gross comics, an all around pretty good comic ... seems excellent!!

and most of the characters are also a throw back since rachel, alex, and polaris have been ff world some time and have allied themselves with the new school Wolverine Kitty and Beast are starting at Westchester.

Good muties unite! [Big Grin]

needless to say I am bummed/scared that Carey is leaving.

[ November 05, 2011, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the encouraging words, Peebs. Now I'm really excited, and even wondering if I should read Carey's run in reverse!

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I wasn't into Messiah Complex either ...

ugh.

and during/after the only thing keeping me going has been Greg Land ... I did enjoy that Red Queen Sisterhood of Evil Mutants story for fun .... but thought the conclusion about Besty basically choosing her Japanese body was ridiculous (and also a cop out on the interesting scale. )

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

In the end, I decided to grit my teeth and read Carey's X-Men Legacy run chronologically. And now that I've read the first library trade of the run, I have to say I'm glad I did.

I can see how frustrating it must have been following this book on a monthly bit-by-bit basis, because it's as decompressed as it gets. On the other hand, there is a palpable feeling that Carey has an ultimate destination all mapped out in his head, whereas a lot of writers just seem to make it all up as they go along. Will this destination be to my liking? Well, I wasn't pleased with where Carey's equally long Hellblazer run ended up, but this is a much different propostion than Hellblazer, and Peebs' posts in this thread are encouraging.

I also feel like Carey deserves kudos for trying his very best to make some sense out of Xavier, who has one of the most unflattering long-term character profiles in the history of superhero comics. So far, I think Carey is succeeding. Will he go all the way? Stay tuned.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Two more X-Men Legacy trades down. I should add that I'm skipping the issues that cross over with the "events" as I doubt there's much of Carey's grand epic in them.

I'm going to miss Scot Eaton. His art in the present-day sequences was very pleasing.

Carey can't be accused of taking the easy way out, trying to make sense not only of Xavier, but also Gambit and Rogue. So far, I'd call it a qualified success. I don't hate Gambit, but I still don't like him either. Xavier and Rogue's inner journeys, on the other hand, were very well executed. Where will it go from here? I look forward to finding out.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Have read much more of Carey's X-Men: Legacy, will have a massive post about it sometime soon.

In the meantime, I read the second Uncanny X-Force trade (the library has the first one, too, but the second one arrived first) and overall I liked it. The action was punchy, the dialogue snappy, and the plotting tight. Remender explores Fantomex's potential, he makes Logan and Warren tolerable to me, and he has a decent handle on Deadpool. The only thing he can't do for me is make me like Betsy. I think Betsy is the Tigra of the X-Men, just a hopeless character. Her "why do I feel this blood-lust?" schtick got old years ago.

From reading the most recent reviews of UXF in this thread, it sounds like it's gone into a decline. So rather than buy it, I'll wait for the rest of the trades to arrive at the library.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So I’ve reshuffled my X-comics pull list and am trying out all the main X-titles again (canceling X-Factor & New Mutants and giving X-Force an issue by issue trail basis). I’ve begun my reading process with Uncanny X-Men #1.

Quite simply, this is the best X-Men comic I’ve read in years. Literarily, years.

Kieran Gillen, who absolutely nails it every month which the hugely under-appreciated Journey into Mystery, delivers the same degree of excellence here in terms of his script, plotting, pacing, dialogue and characterization. Just when I was cringing to buy a comic with Cyclops, Emma Frost, Danger and a Juggernaut-ish Colossus, Gillen proves me totally wrong and shows they are actually an interesting group of characters that I want to read more about.

Artist Carlos Pacheco gives the best work he’s ever drawn in his entire career and I can’t help but feel its hugely aided and abetted by inker Cam Smith. It’s a clean, crisp style that is reminiscent of John Cassidy and works on every level here. The characters are sexy but not trashy, the sequences are full of tension and the action is dynamic. Colorist Frank D’Armata also enhances the pages with his bright, beautiful colors.

Where this comic succeeds is Gillen at last gives Cyclops and this team a clear premise and reason for existing. And then, the subsequent charge into battle makes total sense. Further, he’s able to show the (9) members of the Uncanny team (called the ‘Extinction Team’ in the series) gelling together in a way that works. On top of all that, the issue lays out precisely who is in Utopia at long last and what role they’ll play here, in other series or as supporting characters.

Cyclops and Emma come off likeable for the first time in…EVER? [Smile] Magneto has some great lines, while Storm kicks ass like always. Danger is interesting (and since I don’t like her, I hope she betrays them). Namor works here and I’m looking forward to seeing a capable writer handle the Cyke / Emma / Namor triangle—which is really a fantastic twist on Reed / Sue / Namor and Cyke / Jean / Wolverine. The only character I’m not pleased with is Colossus having this Juggernaut-ish direction but I can bide my time and see how it develops.

Mr. Sinister is the villain of the piece and as he’s probably my favorite non-Magneto X-Men villain, I welcome it. Love the usage of the Dreaming Celestial too.

I’m pretty surprised at how much I liked this. Well done, X-creators! For the first time in many years, an X-Men comic is at the top of my reading pile! On to the other series!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So I’ve caught up on most of the rest of the X-Titles today (except X-Men Legacy, which isn’t out yet I think?). Here are my impressions, which I’ll try to make briefer than my review of Uncanny. The bottom line is: I’m actually very, very impressed by the relaunch of the X-Comics right now. They are all consistently good, falling in the range of ‘good’ to ‘excellent’.

X-Men, the adjective-less title, has been like a cipher since it debuted, never justifying its existence. With this relaunch it starts to do just that, becoming a supplementary title to Uncanny X-Men while carving out an identity of its own as the strikeforce / X-Force team for Scott’s side of the Schism. Writer Victor Gischler writes a direct, interesting spy/action sequence with good insights into a smaller team of characters while artist Will Conrard provides a very clean, good looking art style to it (I wonder if that’s a purposeful theme in connection with Uncanny?). Colorist Chris Sotomayor purposely colors things slightly darker to highlight the espionage element. All in all, it actually works pretty well! It’s very similar to Uncanny X-Force and Secret Avengers when those comics are done right.

The line-up is a combination of characters specific to this series (Domino, Warpath and Jubilee) with some shared characters with Uncanny—here, Storm & Colossus. Psylocke is the other major character and I know from advertisement she’s playing both sides of the fence, likely a spy for Wolverine on Cyclops team. The 6 of them work really well together! I’m not sure if other X-characters will be rotated in or out but the basic squad here works just fine. I love that for the first time in forever Storm is getting some real showcase. I’m also loving that Jubilee has made a comeback to prominence and in the process had her power levels amped up. I didn’t realize how much I missed her until this issue.

All in all, I really enjoyed this.

Up next was the other flagship title, the one for Wolverine’s team entitled (on the nose) Wolverine on the X-Men. Everything about the title of the series means I should hate it but a good review by Rich Johnston led me to check it out. And I’m glad I did—it’s actually very good! Wolverine has led half of the X-characters away from Cyclops and his is the side more akin to Professor X’s original dream and the original thematic principles of the X-Men as a franchise. Here they restablish the old school in Salem Center, NY, but this time it’s the “Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters”. Wolvie is headmaster, Kitty is headmistress, Beast & Iceman and many others are the professors and the vast majority of still living young mutants are the students. As a premise, this is probably the single best of all the X-titles right now.

The writer is Jason Aaron who is one of the best writers in comics. Don’t believe me? Read Scalped. No, seriously, go read it—right now. Its the best comic ever made. Okay, done? Aaron is fantastic on every level and he can write gritty, tough as nails scenes when the time is right, and yet can also have moving, charming or humorous scenes as well. He has a great handle on Wolverine that reminds you why he got so popular and that you actually do in fact like the character. And he’s already a great Kitty. Chris Bachalo returns to the X-franchise as artist here. Sometimes I like his art and sometimes it works—it just kind of fits some series while at times not fitting others. This is a definite fit.

The school aspect just feels so right that it amazes me whenever they get away from it. That never works. It’s welcome to be back and with a nice twist. Charles Xiaver shows up and appears to be a (welcome) recurring presence though the real effort is on the others: Wolverine, Kitty, Iceman, Beast, Canonball, Doop, Rachel Grey, Chamber, Karma, Husk and amusingly enough, Toad as the janitor. All of them are put into roles they are not used to and causes them to have to step up. I’m really looking for Bobby Drake to be held accountable for the responsibility he takes on, as well as others.

Gladiator’s son—“Kid Gladiator”—is also sent as a student here; hilarious. The student I’m most looking forward to seeing is Quentin Quire from Morrison’s run.

This was a really great outing. The best part was the general light-heartedness of the entire issue. It’s just been so long since a ‘main’ X-title has had that kind of tone and you put it down smiling from ear to ear. It’s been long overdue.

Even though I originally planned on dropping it, I couldn’t help but buy Uncanny X-Force; this is the penultimate issue of the Dark Archangel Saga. I’ll buy the next issue too, and probably the one after to see what the series looks like post-Schism.

As much as the plots can get a little confusing, there’s no denying Remender’s writing style is really engrossing and really tight. I *want* to know what’s going to happen to these characters. His depiction of Warren is so well-done that even though I’m fearful he won’t survive this, it feels right, as if this is what is supposed to happen. Remender pulls absolutely no punches in his depiction of him as a villain and it just feels like a real ballsy move.

The fight scenes are great and the tension is high. There’s no getting around that this is a well put together story. I guess I’ll see—I’m trying to cut down on X-titles but if I keep this, that means I’ll be collecting one more X-title than I was before!

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #2: Containing a good Iceman story. That's right. I typed a 'good Iceman story'. Well, it wasn't just an Iceman story- but that's what is most memorable. Bobby's known as the hero who has this potentially great super-power that he never 'pushes'. Here, he pushes.

And gives a faculty member a slushie of a different kind.

Do you think from a reader's POV that the writer and artist are successful if they make you absolutely despise a team of villains? Or that they've failed if they haven't made them at all sympathetic? I'm not sure. I always liked the adult Hellfire Club and its somewhat shades of gray over/undertones for *some* members. Even the most 'evil' were entertaining in their libertine excesses.

These kids, though-- I hate them. I hope none of ever grow up and become future X-anything, Avengers, etc. I don't want to say I want to see pre-teens killed- but I do.

An issue-ending scene features the return of a 'character' from waaaay back in the X-men's history. It's been spoiled in solicits and publicity, I believe. I think it'd be kind of cool if said character were 'reached' somehow (by Rachel or Broo* or Lockheed, even) and became an X-man. It'd fit right in with the theme of practically all the X-villains joining the team.

*Broo, by the way, just might be the new character of the year. I enjoy every scene he's had and love the dialogue he's getting.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I hate those damn kids too ... they seem so evil. And it's not like you could ever want to be them.

For example: Sebastian Shaw, while evil, it would be cool to be super strong, and he made his money himself ... these kids are just spoiled brats.

I'm so glad Quentin Quire and Kid Gladiator are on this team, I'm salivating for the uber adventure/uber trouble they could get into together.

Or ROMANCE !! [LOL]

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.