Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's X-verse (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Marvel's X-verse
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed it as well, No Emma Frost, and Professor X got to be Professor X again.

The New Mutants made up for lack of panel time with kick nassery. Dani and Sam got a lot of good lines.

Cyclops was demoted, Wolvie was declawed and yeah ... no Emma Frost. Even Storm and Namor were second string.

The art was good but didn't compare to the Olivier Coipel character designs being tossed around for promotion.

yeah i really enjoyed it, best X book of the past few months.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm currently reading Wolverine for maybe the first time ever. As well as Wolverine Jubilee.

anyway, Wolverine has Daniel Acuna on art, and lots and lots of X-Men in it as well.

I think Acuna should do Dark Wolverine.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I have been waiting FOREVER to bring X-Man back. He's the one Marvel character I've gotten interested in that I haven't really done anything about yet.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
Alright everyone, I would like to know your favorite X-Men titles of the stories. I am working on something that requires references.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

big story arcs like "Fall of the Mutants ... Here Comes Tomorrow, Days of Future Past, Mutant Massacre, Dark Phoenix Saga " or the story titles from single issues?

cause that may take more time.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

also ... in the new movie X-Men First Class, Moira Mactaggert, played by the great Rose Byrne of Damages and Bridesmaids fame .... will NOT have a scottish accent.

bummer. furthermore it appears she's some kind of CIA liason rather than a leading geneticist.

bummer number 2.

the good news is she's on the side of the muties still ... and she's signed on for a trilogy.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved this month's issue of Generation Hope and the twist ending to the conflict.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Catching up on Uncanny X-Force, I'm reminded again by how damn good this comic book is. Not only is it far better than all the other X-offerings, it may just be Marvel's best comic. I wish the other main 3 X-comics were cancelled and this was just the regular X-Men book.

Remender does a fantastic job writing each issue and the series has a purpose, felt every issue, much like the X-Men comics if the franchises Golden Age. Billy Tan is proving to be one of the best artists in the busines and colorist Dean White adds an incredible level of mood and atmosphere.

This is probably the best "team" comic in comics.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I got two X-Books this week.

Uncanny X-Men #542 ... (which will soon be renumbered ... at 1 all over again ... [Frown] )

by Gillen and Land. I'm a big fan of Land's work ... despite the criticisms. It's always just glossy shiny goodness.

so ... Juggernaut get's one of the hammers from the current FEAR ITSELF cross title storyline ... making him even more unstoppable.

and the issue is structured quite well with ... many of the x-men trying out their individual tricks to stop him, it gets funny (to me) after a while ... while a few of the other x-men come up with a better strategy.

The end will leave us with some possibly permanent consequences for the Juggernaut Click Here For A Spoileras Illyana and Colossus go bargain with Cyttorak to steal the Juggernaut's power. Cytorrak is the demon from the gem which gave Jugg's his unstoppable power. Colossus becomes the new juggernaut. But Juggs, I assume, will only be at half his over the top power because He will still have a hammer of Asgardian power. Next Issue expect some unstoppable Colossus versus Juggernaut Thor action.

Also, The phoenix force appears to Emma in a dream Click Here For A Spoilerstrongly hinting that hope is jean reborn ... emma appears to want to smother Hope ... which seems pretty sensational and juvenile for the character and on the writer's part. unless ..... Emma Frost is a murderuous villain ... who has been leading the x-men all this time. which wouldn't be too far fetched considering the X-Men of late. [Wink]

There's a few more small bits in there ... more tension between the humans and mutants ... Cyclops gets to act ruthless and show how badnass he is ... <yawn>

The books seems to be going with this James Bond slick sixties style from the recent movie ... which I don't mind.

Next Up:

X-Men Schism 3 of 5

The highlight for me is Acuna's art, which I would liken to a dark sexy Allred.

It's also got the sixties spy thriller style.

The premise sounds ridiculous ... a pre-teen Hellfire Club tries to take down the X-Men at the opening of a Mutant Museum in San Francisco.

One funny bit, Which I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not, is that:

Emma Frost, Magneto, and Namor are three of the five mutants that attend the museum opening LOL!!

Overall, It's allright, Namor gets some dark humor lines like Click Here For A Spoiler'I've hit children before' LOL as he faces the child Hellfire Club.

I suppose what is meant to be the best writing bit is Click Here For A SpoilerAfter the Hellfire Club defeats the X-Men, one of the younger recruits is forced to fight, and she kills a dozen Hellfire men, while saving a hundred innocents ..... That's supposed to be character developement? <--- kind sounds like it sucks to me

Those that like to see Cyclops and Wolverine argue won't be disappointed here!!

Looks like next issue is Master Mold, and if you aren't following X-Men Schism .... many countries have decided to employ sentinels for protection against mutants.

Overall these two are about the art, for me, I'd give them both about 2.5 stars.

Too much melodrama and everyone's SOOOO conflicted <rolls eyes> ...... but, there's action, and pretty pictures.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Wolverine and the X-Men

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34070

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
New lineups [Yes, Psylocke is on both sides]. Also, Havok & Polaris are back in PAD's X-Factor:

-
 -

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Three X Books Three Quick Reviews

DAKEN DARK WOLVERINE #14

It's confusing and a mess. Daken's going through some drug induced stuff, he fights Moon Knight who pretends to be his father to throw him off, the art is not as lovely as the usual artist .. Daken looks like Sweeny Todd ...I really hope this gets back on track next issue with the manipulative and cunning sexy and well drawn Daken otherwise this won't be in my purchase pile. I forgot to flip through this issue to check the art when I bought it.

UNCANNY X-FORCE #15

I actually had to read the incredibly long 'what happened last time' page. I think this Angel becomes Apocalypse story line has gone on a little bit long ... especially since the 'bad' guys get way too much airtime compared to our the X-Force 'charming bad guys doing bad things for the good side' ... but it actually picked up and the ending of this issue hooked me back in for issue #16. Wolverine has taken a major back seat, I personally am not a huge fan of Angel who's getting all the spotlight ... but Deadpool, Deathlocke, Psylocke, and Fantomex are cool cats. And I appreciate that, while it's on the dark side of my cup of tea, a lot of effort has gone into the writing and creation of this book.

X-MEN LEGACY #255

I actually perked up when I saw this on the stands and quickly grabbed it. I'll call it the OMAC effect. It's a comic book! It has super heroes that do stuff, and go on adventures! This specific issue wasn't as good as the previous 'Legion' story line but ... it's still a breath of fresh air as a throw back to super hero comics that had a bit more going on than inner turmoil and the current cross over event du jour. In a sea of not so good ... X-Men Legacy is quite allright. [Smile]

[ September 19, 2011, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
X-MEN LEGACY #256: The introduction and back story of a lasting villain for Marvel? I hope so, as he was suitably twisted, tragic and evil.

Nice to see the Lorna/Magneto father/daughter relationship addressed with both parties 'onscreen' at the same time. Their further interactions should be prime reading.

Serviceable art, but how much stronger would this have been with art that evoked the first X-men/Shi'ar meeting?

Every issue, this particular storyline gets stronger and stronger...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

X-MEN LEGACY #256:

Not much to say beyond my previous review. This book continues to be a pleasant surprise. I'm so glad to see Rachel Summers here. I love her. One thing about this book that I love is that it's a 'TEAM' book. It's got a group of characters, not a huge cast, and those characters interact with each other and they grow from that interaction.

I did find the end a bit contrived to support the future plot Click Here For A SpoilerRogue needed to jump into the gravity well with Frenzy when Magneto and Polaris are .... pretty skilled at manipulating gravity and energy. [Wink]

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

While I didn't love the Schism storyline ...

I found it not bad, and am happy with the result of the school being reopened and think that Aaron pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

Wolverine would revolt over the treatment of the kids, he's often been shown with a 'sidekick'. I think Aaron has a good handle on the characters and how they would act, rather than the sensational stuff we've got lately.

A couple things that were reasonable but i didn't like was ...

Storm staying on Cyclops' team because he said he 'needed her' and the other team didn't.

Hysterically in Uncanny X-Men number 1 she asks all the members of Cykes new 'extinction team' (the top members who will return to super heroics ... cyke calls them Earth's Mightiest heroes .. ) who of them have been primarily thought a super villain ... to which Magneto, Emma Frost, Namor, Colossus, and Danger all raise their hands. and she asks why Scott's hands not up LOL.

So now I gotta by Cyclop's team X-Men book because Storm's in it.

Also, I hate seeing Peter/Colossus exploring his dark side due to being the new Juggernaut and separated from Kitty ... who heads up the school with Wolverine.

Now that Rachel, Polaris, and Havok are back from outer space ... and siding with Wolverine ... the team's are not supremely imbalanced in terms of power ... Though Cyke's team is looking pretty up there with the Avengers.

I'm in for now. Which is more than I was expecting.

Thanks to Aaron for salvaging this $#!+ show. [Wink]

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.