Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's X-verse (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Marvel's X-verse
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So we've had the penultimate issue of a 3 month cross over, and this topic is on page 5?

Marvel, you might want to keep your cross overs smaller. This really was an X-Force/X-Men story, with the New Mutants and Legacy only tangentially involved.

So the latest issue of X-Force brings with it another death, this one not so surprising or traumatic. And I actually liked the character.

Hope looks like she is ready to come into her own, but somehow I doubt we'll get a real explanation of who she is/her background/role. Her interactions with Rogue during this story have made me hope she ends up in that book instead of the main title.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
latest uncanny x-men.

man am i tired of emma frost and cyclops and their sleezy back door deals.

i was so hoping that with kurt dead and storm lecturing wolverine and even kitty back somewhat, and this bloody crossover was over....

a heroic x-men might be in the works. but no, yet more cyclops / emma frost melodrama.

I don't care that she has sebastion shaw in a basement and i don't see why anyone else would either! in fact, it's probably one of the only things she's done that is not morally questionable. but ... how can this not end with yet another secret exposed and Shaw attempting to rip apart the island?

p.s.

Click Here For A Spoileri really liked cable too.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I just dropped Uncanny. I just don't give a damn about the characters Fraction insists on focusing on.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've also now stopped reading it. In fact, I've decided that for the first time ever, I'm taking a leave of absence from reading the main X-titles.

I dropped X-Men: Legacy, after staying on for at least a year longer than I should have. It's just been awful.

Uncanny X-Men has never been this boring ever before. Fraction went from 'okay' to 'mediocre' to 'ugh'.

I tried out the new X-Men title too with the incredibly lame premise "mutants vs. vampires". It's terrible. So terrible in fact, that I won't be getting #2.

I have to say, in my opinion right now is the single worst era EVER in X-history. That includes Claremont's Australian Outback era, the mid-90's/Onslought Era, the "ruination of the cool 'The Twelve' subplot Era", the second Claremont era and even the last decade. This is just awful. Never have the X-books been so plain boring.

The X-comics get a bad rap for the era in which they were selling millions of copies. But I reread those stories last year and you know what? They were EXCITING. They still are. There is absolutely no excitement in the X-books these days. They could kill every character right now and I'd feel nothing. It's time to start fresh.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it as bad as Teen Titans right now?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

No. Not even close.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Me and a couple of friends were discussing this recently, and came to the conclusion that the X-books have managed to get *so very far* away from where they need to be, that the *only* workable means to get to a viable status quo is to take a several-month jump and pick up in mid-story. The sheer volume of crap that needs excavated makes it impossible to craft a satisying "here to there" story (I suggested using an AoA-style alternate reality event to bridge the gap, taking the "normal" X-books out of play for a solicit cycle of 3-4 months).

One of them even went further and said the restored X-books need cut down to just Uncanny & Wolverine (although later he made an exception for X-Factor, semi-divorced as it is, provided the divorce became official and it was reclassified as general MU) and nothing else. (I added X-Force and another X-Men book, as well as X-Factor, to the list on the basis that five books was about the minimum Marvel might countenance, especially with the ban on X-minis and one-shots I agreed was needed)

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I agree on both counts. A jump because who really wants to read them resolve this crappy set-up. And def agree on cutting the books. I'd say Uncanny as the lead and launch a 2nd title (which should have been "X-Men" but they just screwed that up). Then maybe get to X-Force in a year.

I think X-Factor *and* Wolverine should just be full-on divorced from the XU (Wolverine the title--let's face it, he's a regular Marvel character and will always stay that way now).

Them they should try to restore some of their other great "stars" like Gambit and Cable who once had popularity levels close to Wolverine but are now on par with Hawkeye.

Them there's the question about what is to be done to the really dumb marriage of Storm and the Panther? No Mephisto please but perhaps a royal annulment.

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
The only X-books I'm still following are Astonishing and Astonishing: Exogenesis(?) ... I dropped X-Factor when they pulled the change in numbering crap... (same reason I dropped Cap...)

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd be for the changes Reboot suggested as long as Moonstar's featured prominently somewhere. Not necessarily in an X-title.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The X-Books I buy are...

X-Men
New Mutants
New Mutants Forever
Ultimate X

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
i think i'm dropping everything except that which is drawn by Greg Land.

At the end of the Second Coming story line i thought there would be changes cause they had a great concluding issue about how everyone was crazy. and had come so far from the original mission. then the last spread is wolvie's new even more kick ass xforce kill squad. wtf.

now, i'm hoping storm nukes that frickin island.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I never collected X-Force in it's heyday, even though last year I was able to grab all the original Liefield issues for bargain prices (I did so for (2) reasons: because I was rereading all the X-titles during that period and because I couldn't pass up an opportunity considering X-Force #1 used to cost an arm and a leg in 1993). I definitely have not collected it in recent years during it's last relaunch.

But the name Rick Remender, a writer whose shown he's got some real chops, made me curious, and so I grabbed Uncanny X-Force #1, the most recent relaunch of the title. It was a buy that could only happen on a whim. And you know, it was actually pretty good! Certainly better than Uncanny X-Men or other main X-titles have been in years (but that isn't saying much).

X-Force now serves the role of being the black-ops type team in X-Land. I liked the original premise better, of the New Mutants growing up and striking out on their own under the tutelage of Cable, but it is what it is. What I really liked was that this 'black ops X-Men' team didn't have 100 members; rather, it had a brief 5 person roster where each character has a chance to shine and interact with one another. It stars Wolverine (naturally), Archangel, Psylocke, Deadpool and Fantomax. The smaller roster made the team dynamic within a single issue feel actually very similar to how the Byrne/Claremont X-Men used to feel when it was only 5-6 of them. A smaller scale feel can a long ways.

Now, Wolverine and Deadpool's inclusion is more annoying than anything. Not so much Logan, who works here (but is just everywhere so becomes repetitive and annoying) but Deadpool doesn't really seem to fit. Maybe he'll get phased out after the first story if his presence was meant to draw fans.

However, I thought both Warren and Betsy were the best they've been portrayed in probably over 15 years. They were interesting, had lots of subplots and conflicting motivations and yet were securely themselves. It's about damn time someone cared about them again! I also have liked Fantomax since Morrison introduced him and would like to see more of him.

The major plotline focuses on Apocalypse, making things come full-circle, but Apocalypse has always been one of my favorite 'newer' villain (re: post 1980).

Will I buy issue #2? Normally I would say no immediately because I've recently been cutting my X-titles and have never been interested in X-Force. But this was a pretty solid first issue. It will probably be a decision I make in the store but I'm leaning more towards yes.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Picked up Uncanny X-Force 1 and 2 today (good art can get me to purchase things ... might be in for one more)

and picked up Uncanny X-Men 530 ..........

If only you could see the expression on my face. Little did I know I was in for one of the most awkward racial experiences reading a comic.

LONG STORY SHORT: the Collective Man goes around bullying Chinese-American people involved in organized crime in San Francisco. He seems to be speaking Mandarin Chinese and they seem to be speaking it back to him. (I assume cause he's the Collective Man from China, who prides himself on being a good citizen, so he must be speaking the official language --- Mandarin) Also he's from Wuhan which was promoted as the standard of the official Chinese language of Mandarin.

which is odd cause most people in SF speak cantonese. What else is weird is that they probably have fled China 50 years ago during the cultural revolution and have no cultural connection to communism ..... and this crazy Collective Man comes around saying they've been bad little communists. Some of the people he's harassing don't even look 50 years old. (but who knows maybe there IS some sort of recent invasion of Chinese nationals involved in organized crime in SF ... who speak Mandarin --> it's a comic book?? )

My favorite part though: the Collective Man as he bashes up a old man:

<Letting a Gweilo transform you into running dog capitalists.>

ok so Gweilo is a marginally derogatory term in Cantonese, so i guess < > means the Collective Man has been speaking Mandarin or else why is gweilo untranslated ... but there are plenty of words in Mandarin that mean what Gweilo means in Cantonese. Why the switch of languages ?

bizarre. or is he supposed to be speaking cantonese and the writer just threw that in so he'd be cool by knowing an offensive term in Cantonese?

don't get it. I'm sure the old man who's getting his ass handed to him is even more confused as some crazy communist has come to trash his store. yelling at him in a language he may or may not reasonably speak.

it's almost funny, it's like if someone from mexico came and trashed my house and yelled at me in Spanish for not being a good Mexican citizen. hahahaha (no actually i think that would make more sense cause i might understand what he is screaming while he choked me)

anyway, the collective man gets the remaining crime lords to do a fist pump to communism .... even though some of them look young enough to have never lived in China.

I don't know, seemed very odd to me.

Lastly Greg Land, love his work, but he's starting to give all the woman puppy dog expressions with their mouths open. or they're shouty or something. (and there is a panel where emma frost is moving her cape aside so you can get a big shot of her butt .... and that's all <no upper calves, no middle back> the view is big butt emma frost as she faces Sebastian Shaw)

oh btw more LYING from Emma Frost to Scott.

I really hope kids aren't learning anything from these comics.

[ December 02, 2010, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Ugh. Glad I stopped reading Uncanny.

In the Iron Man thread I reviewed Fractions Iron Man annual, offensive in it's own way. I voted that worst comic book I read in 2010.

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.