Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's X-verse (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Marvel's X-verse
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Lardy, I can grab a copy if you'd like, send it your way.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't want you to go through a lot of trouble, Ceej. It's tempting, though!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Marvel's debuting a new anthology title called ASTONISHING TALES-- there's a future Iron Man story, a current IM tale and the one I bought the issue for-- a Cannonball/Sunspot story that has the pair first vacationing in Roberto's Brazilian luxury, then snatched up to become movie-makers for Mojo!

The tone is light and fun-- they stay (for awhile, anyway) in the Mojoverse voluntarily with no apparent threat ahead.

I'm eager to see what kind of entertainment they devise before the inevitable you-know-what hits the fan.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
X-FORCE 12: Wow. The Wolf-Prince from the New Mutants-in-Asgard story. Now, *that's* a surprise. For me, a welcome one.

Y'know-- I'd be ok with Rahne running off with him and disappearing from X-Men comics for awhile.

The villains are absoultely amok- perhaps justifying Cyclops strategem with this team. Still hard to take Leper Queen seriously, though.

I like the energy in the art- it looks computer-aided, which I don't necessarily mind. Compelling.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

ASTONISHING TALES #2-- I'm really only reading the Cannonball/Sunspot installments. The one in this issue was a little forced, as our heroes make their bargain with the devil via a series of kind of lame pop culture 'challenges'.

I like the cover art.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

EXILES #1-- *A* Timebroker's back in the book again, along with a bit of mystery about why these characters are chosen and what the general set-up is going to be.

I didn't read the Claremont issues of the preceding volume, so I don't know if the basics of the purpose of Exiles was changed, but it seems intact here.

So, it's down to characters-- Blink (the same Blink from V.1), a Beast, a Panther (I notice he's never called 'Black' Panther, so I'm guessing he's of a different race than the regular T'Challa's), a Forge (much angstier than 'ours'), a Scarlet Witch and a Polaris.

All were plucked from their worlds an instant before their deaths.

I like the line-up, and I enjoyed some of the Exiles adventures. Admittedly, the shift from world to world can get repetitive. Unless the creators have an imaginative arsenal already in their collective head.

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Neither of the "colour-adjective" characters had were "coloured" if you look - it was just "the Witch" and "the Panther".

And, yeah, good first issue.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

You're right... the EXILES Wanda isn't calling herself 'Scarlet', though she is wearing the familiar color. The Scarlet was never anything but an adjective and costume choice for her, though. Unlike T'Challa.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

UNCANNY X-MEN #208-- Fans of late eighties and the ninetes minor supervillainesses will want to at least leaf through this title at their cbs.

I hope an explanation as to how these ladies got together is forthcoming, as that's a plot-point I can't quite wrap my head around.

To be fair, that's pretty much the standard m.o. for super-villain groups, though. I've never understood why it's so 'important' for a superhero team to have some overarcing purpose, other than fighting bad guys. Nobody seems to care why the *villains* join some brotherhood (here, sisterhood) or society or or league.

I don't even recognize a couple of them, except by name. One character, in particular, gets a redesign that is as wrong-headed as they come. If a distinctive look *has* to be replaced, it should be by a look that's just as distinctive. Here, it's just the opposite. Sprial always brought a certain energy (and I don't mean her powers) with her when she appeared in a story. I don't sense that here at all.

Why are they doing what they're doing? What possible gain could *they* get from the happenings at issue's end? I'm left scratching my head.

I kind of like the 'mad scientists' subplot-- though the amount of space they get here is really all I want to see them get, until they reach a climactic plotpoint.

I *definitely* like the offer of membership to the character who joins here. Click Here For A SpoilerNorthstar is one of my favorites and I look forward to this character's inclusion in the future.

I'm glad a certain plotpoint from a few years ago concerning this character and the X-Man who seeks him out to offer him membership isn't forgotten. I don't particularly want to see it brought up again and again, though.

Aside from a new member, the most interesting thing going on, really, is that creepy little slave-boy, Empath, and his submission to the Red Queen. That and the inexplicable goings-on at the end of the issue. Click Here For A Spoileranother body-swap or something with Kwannon and Psylock, I think. I'm not really sure. And an-- interesting-- look at MU Tokyo. I think I liked the bit with Domino in the 'electric city'. It was a distinct setting, anyway, which I appreciate.

[ April 15, 2009, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

Mystery Lad
Advisor

X-FACTOR #42-- Oh, joy. Another future. Please don't let this be an extended journey for Jamie.

Siryn as boss was fun. More Rictor! Let Valerie Cooper go bother some dark group or other- she bores me.

I wonder what brunette chick would've named Longshot?

I really enjoyed this issue, up until the end. It was telegraphed a mile away, in retrospect. An almost thoroughly Magneto-ized Scott Summers. Oy.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

X-FORCE #14- All the Stryfe, Cable, Bishop, Apocalypse stuff is a serious turn-off for me. Mutant Messiah girl and X-23 had a nicely written scene.

Archangel's actions made me curious, too.

The rest didn't really mean that much to me. I liked Clayton Crain's art, though. Quite a bit.

Ultimately, I think this is all grounded in eras of the X-men that I didn't enjoy much the first time around. What's here certainly isn't bad- or even mediocre. Just doesn't get me excited. Tastes will obviously vary.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

UNCANNY X-MEN #509: "And so the cracks begin to show."

If they hadn't already. There's hints and vague little comments in interviews that *seem* to foretell a return for Jean Grey. I think what's happening with Cyclops and Emma here (each hiding their own little plots-- his, X-FORCE,-- hers, the CABAL, and soon the DARK X-MEN, evidently) is showing in the distance between them.

I liked the impromptu counseling scene between Dazzler, Pixie and Northstar as they return from a night out on the town (an interesting trio, that) to find Scott sleeping on the sofa. I thought it was hilarious.

Interrupted, of course, by an attack of some of the Sisterhood. Red Queen (who isn't really there?) reveals that Psylocke's revival was a trial run. Wonder who the real object of revival will be? Hmmm. I just can't think of anyone...

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
X-Facotr - PAD is losing me with this future stuff. I liked teh grounded book from earlier in this sseries run.

Uncanny- How could they raise Psylocke if she wasn't dead. Did I miss something?

X-Force/Cable - I like the art in Cable, but it's too dark in X-Force. As for the Messiah war story, still leaves something to be desired. I don't think any of the characters have had a great moment.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
They didn't raise Psylocke from the dead. Madeline Pryor plucked her out of the multiverse where she was fighting with the New Exiles (in Claremont's book before it was canceled) and put her spirit back into its original body (the one that was buried in Kwonnan's grave)... I think.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

X-MEN 510: The first round in the X-Men Vs. Sisterhood match ends here. The Sisterhood's motive for invading the heroes' HQ? To steal a lock of Jean Grey's hair that Wolverine has been keeping.

I wonder what significance that could *possibly* have?

There's an extended Wolvie vs. Psylocke fight scene. And a scene with the Cuckoos and Elixir that you'll either find fun or skeevy. Maybe both. It's kind of a new role for Elixir, too.

Where'd Northstar go?

Unfortunately, the Sisters still don't get much narrative introduction, so if you're unfamiliar with any of them, you're not going to get to learn about them here. Motive, in general, is pretty skimpy.

Did they take Empath with them? I forget. If not, that could impact NEW MUTANTS, which just began.

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.