Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's X-verse (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Marvel's X-verse
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Would anybody happen to have a scan of the original, unused cover of X-MEN #33 (Jun'67)? Aparently it featured "The Outcast"-- pencils and inks by GIL KANE-- and was rejected by the Comics Code for being "too frightening". Only bits of it remain in the published cover (mostly Juggernaut's hands, and it explains why they look so grizzled as it was supposed to be an entirely different character!).
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's the latest clean-ups, X-MEN #34 & 35, art by DAN ADKINS!

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/x-men/XM%20034.jpg
http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/x-men/XM%20035.jpg

profh0011
Applicant

X-MEN #40 & 88

Just replaced BOTH awful images on this one.

Isn't it disgraceful that someone had Marie change Frankie's face-- and The
Beast's? The original has so much more character...

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/x-men/XM%20040.jpg

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/x-men/XM%20088.jpg

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
X-MEN LEGACY 244: Blindfold's one of the most interesting of the newer X-characters. Ruth's power is a harsh one to use. It's demanding of its users. She's blind, but sees the future. The future she's seen is that of a group hiding among the mutants. She's glimpsed one of that group 'hurting us badly'. She doesn't have a clear image, so she begins the process of elimination.

She visits Gambit, Hellion, Dr. Nemesis/Prof X/Legion and the Sterile Cuckoos in a series of interviews that are alarming to varying degrees. But none of those she visits fills out her image. While investigating, she stumbles (but does a prognosticator every *really* stumble by accident?) upon a more conventional monster that's captured Magma, Surge, Armor and Dragoness- ensnaring them in a web.

Rogue and Madison Jeffries are on a parallel search for the missing mutants. The searches converge. A fairly good fight scene and the revelation of some interesting details about the monster emerge.

But Blindfold's search continues. A blind heroine stumbles on a rocky landscape. "And if I could stop this thing with every last drop of my heart's blood, I... would... willinglingy... bleed."

With those words, I think Blindfold's joined the ranks of my favorite characters.

Mike Carey's upcoming AGE OF X "event" might actually live up to the word in quotation marks.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

The latest restoration, I'm afraid, gets my vote for one of the WORST covers I'm putting up at the site. Not only is the art AND design awful, the dialogue makes the X-Men seem like bad guys...

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/x-men/MTU%20004.jpg

profh0011
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Nick's website does a lot of cool thematic pages (like covers with photo in the background); you should totally do one documenting all the appearances of the X-Men in between the end of their first series and Giant-Sized #1! (Not counting Beast).

There are always a few I forget, like the Havoc/Polaris issue in Hulk, etc.

Just thought I'd let you know, check out the 3rd page of the X-MEN section ("51-66") and tell me what you think... (It's still "in progress", but it's come a long way.)

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/

Titles -- X-Men -- 51-66

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Checked it out and it's really groovy! I've always wanted to see those issues laid out like that! I can't wait to see when it's complete, but its already kind of how I envisioned it.

By the time I was reading Marvel comics off the rack, the X-Men were already the supreme franchise at Marvel, and I already had a strong knowledge of the Silver Age X-Men, so this era--when they were relegated to guest appearances--is so fascinating to me.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Thanks.

I haven't quite made up my mind yet, but it looks like what's still missing it some AVENGERS, CAPTAIN AMERICA and DEFENDERS. All of which fall past the original scope of the site... but then, that whole "in-between" section does.

In the meantime, I JUST finished doing "quickie" clean-ups of the last 16 issues of X-MEN. I'm on a mission to eliminate EVERY "dirty" or "yellow" image from the entire site! As of now, that's EVERY X-MEN cover posted.

As it happens, I have every issue of X-MEN from #49-66 in my collection, and will probably do my own scans & restorations... eventually... unless I decide to go with Heritage Auction scans instead. They're a bit smaller, but they do tend to have images of books in MUCH better physical condition than mine, which require less time to fix them up.

For now, it tends to only take a few seconds to run many of these thru Photoshop and hit them once with "levels", and in some case, adjust hue/saturation or contrast.

profh0011
Applicant

The latest restoration: THE CAT #4 (1973), art by John Romita & his assistant, Tony Mortellaro...

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/x-men/Cat%2004.jpg

What is this doing here, you might ask? Well, after going to the trouble of creating a new character (one who was so generic in both concept and name), and dumping it onlto the market with 2 OTHER "female" books at the same time (a tact sure to cause low sales on all 3 of them), sales apparently were low so that by the 4th issue, they not only decided to CANCEL the book, but to cut the page count short. So instead of 22 or 20 pages, it had 15 pages.

And in the back, a REPRINT of the MARVEL GIRL "feature", "The Female Of The Species". Makes her sound less than human, doesn't it?

And it seems THIS is why the same back-up was reprinted in the "WOMEN OF MARVEL Omnibus"-- not because of MARVEL GIRL, but because of THE CAT. The omnibus book contains her entire series, plus her appearances as TIGRA THE WERE-WOMAN. The back-up was included just because it weas there, even though, technically, it was a reprint of a reprint.

MY question is, how come they couldn't even bother creating villains for THE CAT? In this issue, she fights MAN-BULL, in another, THE OWL. Great way to establish her rep and identity-- having her tackle leftover DAREDEVIL villains. (Especially when DD spent so much time tackling leftover SPIDEY villains...)

profh0011
Applicant

The latest restoration, from my own scan: AVENGERS #136:

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/avengers/AV%20136.jpg

Here's one where the "AVENGERS" logo, the text box at the bottom, and the left, right & bottom edges were ALL "straight" (in proper rotation) to each other... but, the "MARVEL COMICS GROUP" banner and "EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES" text line weren't. But I've fixed them now! Another 35-year-old paste-up job redone.

Compare this with the original...

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/aa-at/AA%2012.jpg

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Uncanny X-Force #3 introduces a new set of Four Horsemen for Apocalypse and rather than go the expected route of rehashing old concepts, actually delivers in a big way in introducing some new, interesting and frightening new villains for the X-Men. For the first time in years, I’m really missing the ability for writers to introduce new mutants at their leisure, as the creators here really knock it out of the park with each one.

In fact, the creators did a great job throughout. This issue was almost entirely action besides the origins of the four horsemen and that action delivers in a big way, doing a good job building suspense, utilizing the various powers and having each character in a different situation. It’s one of the better choreographed actions issues I’ve read in awhile.

Uncanny X-Force has emerged as the best X-title I’ve read in ages, with actual exciting plotlines and confrontations each issue. There is a great balance between the (5) main characters that works really well. I can’t believe I’m excited to read about Psylocke again! And Fantomax really works well here, better than he did when he was first introduced by Morrison.

This has been a surprise delight of a comic.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
X-Men First Class trailer .......

looks surprisingly AWESOME!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbHykKUfTM

I thought this was going to be lame. [shrug]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I think this is the best to post this. I loved X-Men: Evolution when I was a child. This is a really touching video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOu4bfSv-Pg

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
X-Men First Class trailer .......

looks surprisingly AWESOME!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbHykKUfTM

I thought this was going to be lame. [shrug]

looks great, after the last lame outings in X3 and wolverine I'm suprised at how much I'm looking forward to this....
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The AGE OF X has now come and gone. I enjoyed it, though the reality behind the whole thing was kind of predictable, though the details certainly weren't.

I wish some of the costumes and names would stick around in the regular version.

It was good to see NEW MUTANTS characters used well, though they really should've been starring characters, since their own book was pulled into the publishing strategy.

This happens to the title way too much- yeah, Cannonball and Moonstar and, to a lesser extent, Magma and Sunspot are shown to good effect, but are hardly the stars of the NEW MUTANTS AGE OF X issues.

At least it wasn't Cyclops, Emma Frost and Wolverine stealing thier spotlight. Not that Rogue and Magneto are to be preferred. At least they aren't headlining *everything* with an X in it.

Are Legion fans aware that DNA are the new writers for NEW MUTANTS starting after the 'Age of X aftermath' issue(s?). The charachters X-Man and Blink are to be featured in some capacity.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.