Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » So...what did ya get this week? (Page 27)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: So...what did ya get this week?
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
There's a new Ka-Zar? I missed that. Is it any good, Lard Lad?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
So far...

Chew 27 (My regular shop missed this for some reason)

Alpha Flight 1

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
X-Factor 221
Legion of Super-Heroes 14
Avengers Academy 15
Youth In Revolt 1
Dynamo 5 1
Gladstone's School for World Conquerors 2

The last three were just me grabbing random stuff to see if I liked it.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:

It's a five-issue mini. I'm behind (perpetually) in my reading, so I won't get to it for close to a month. This article picqued my interest, Jer. Check it out and see what you think. I can say, having flipped thru it, that the pencils and color are absolutely GORGEOUS on this thing! (The article has sample pages.)

I'm a fan of the character, though I've read very little of the actual work on him. One thing I'm happy about is that they're actually having Ka-Zar IN the Savage Land instead of constantly taking him out of his wheelhouse as they did in the (though admittedly excellent) Waid/Andy Kubert series about a decade ago.

Interestingly, the artist on this is Pascal Alixe who spelled Coipel every few issues on the original Legion Lost series. His pencils are MUCH improved over his Coipel-aping style he used there. This is one of those inkerless books scanned from the pencils. Sometimes, this approach doesn't work, but the current Ka-Zar mini looks like one of the successes. The colors are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Hope all this helps! [Smile]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
That art is unbelievable. I may just have to check this one out. I also like Ka-Zar, so I'd be in for a mini.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the link. It looks interesting. I'll check to see if my shop still has any next time I make it in.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Just the two Legion books. I asked the store dude about The Intrepid Escape Goat (which I gave a shout-out to elsewhere in Dr. Gym'll's), but contrary to what the company's web page says, it's actually not available yet.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Way behind...but grabbed the following on a trip to an alternate shop this week (this should blow Cobies mind!):

Captain America #1 (Like what I have read of Bru's run on this title - trades from the library and such - so I decided to give the new series a try. Figured the wife might like it as well.)

Daredevil #1 (Good reviews and liking Waid helped this one jump into my hands.)

Alpha Flight #2 (Hoping this stays a solid read through the rest of the series)

Retroactive '70's The Flash (C'mon...a few more comics until I give up on Barry because he no longer is the character he is now.)

Flash: the Fastest Man Alive #1 (Old issue that I never got when I had no money whatsoever for comics. Need to fill in this series, and this was only a buck.)

SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I was a week behind from going to Comic Con...

LSH #15
Batman #712
Supergirl #66

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I got some fun stuff ....

Action Comics Superman & The Metal Men #590. (July 87)

Uncanny X-Force #12
X-Men Legacy #252
The Mighty Thor #4
Avengers Fear Itself #15
Astonishing X-Men #40

and a couple TPBs.
Starman to Reach the Stars
Starman Sons of the Father

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

20 comics for 2 bucks.

Got Hannah some Stars and Stripes issues, including 0. Byrnes She Hulk 1, and a Superman/Plus Legion. A random Mary Jane comic.

Jonathan got a couple Avengers reprint comics, which he loves.

I grabbed a random Kirkman MTU with Cap and Black Widow. Vintage Magnus Robot Fighter 1 - 4. Secret 6 #1. 1 and 2 of the later Deadshot mini, plus a few Ultraverse books that I thought I needed...needed at least one of the three I grabbed.

Overall, well worth the time spent digging to see the kids faces, when sthey got them.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
TONS of stuff ...

Secret Six 31 to 36. I tried BOP so now I'm excited to try Secret Six.
Secret Seven #3 (the ONLY Flashpoint title or tie in I'm reading)
Adventure #529.
IZombie #16
Metal Men Retroactive 1 shot (It's really pixelated .. maybe it will be recalled and I'll have a find. I really hope so 'cause Maguire is too good to be pixelated)
X-Men Schism #1
Ultimate Fallout Spider Man #4 (Is this the new Ultimate Spider Man ?? )

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:

It's a five-issue mini. I'm behind (perpetually) in my reading, so I won't get to it for close to a month. This article picqued my interest, Jer. Check it out and see what you think. I can say, having flipped thru it, that the pencils and color are absolutely GORGEOUS on this thing! (The article has sample pages.)

I'm a fan of the character, though I've read very little of the actual work on him. One thing I'm happy about is that they're actually having Ka-Zar IN the Savage Land instead of constantly taking him out of his wheelhouse as they did in the (though admittedly excellent) Waid/Andy Kubert series about a decade ago.

Interestingly, the artist on this is Pascal Alixe who spelled Coipel every few issues on the original Legion Lost series. His pencils are MUCH improved over his Coipel-aping style he used there. This is one of those inkerless books scanned from the pencils. Sometimes, this approach doesn't work, but the current Ka-Zar mini looks like one of the successes. The colors are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Hope all this helps! [Smile]

I must say, having finally read #1 of the Ka-Zar mini, that I really enjoyed it! It's basically about a corporation gaining access to the Savage Land and its resources by using one of its downtrodden tribes as its "in" under the auspices of offering humanitarian aid. It looks to be pretty gripping stuff as the majority of the other tribes oppose this action. Very topical without seeming preachy, and it looks like we're set up for some intriguing conflict.

And, oh, yeah the art is mesmerisingly lush and gorgeous!

So far, a definite recommend!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
DC COMICS PRESENTS METAL MEN (Peebs, I think you got a bad copy-- mine looks good)

IZOMBIE 15

SECRET SIX 36 (Peebs... OMG are YOU in for a treat!! You must get ALL back issues all the way back to VILLAINS UNITED!!)

ADVENTURE 529

FIRESTORM tpb

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:

Metal Men Retroactive 1 shot (It's really pixelated .. maybe it will be recalled and I'll have a find. I really hope so 'cause Maguire is too good to be pixelated)

Apparently recalled, and maybe worth 13 bucks!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.