Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel NOW... how many titles will you add? (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Marvel NOW... how many titles will you add?
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Uncanny Avengers #2 was pretty good. Same old Cassaday.

However, I noticed some discrepancies between the art and story or some far fetched creative license. Haven't seen that in a while.

[Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El]

The book gets two power boys on art alone. The story is wobbly, some parts are really good like the premise of the Red Skull versus the mutants and Click Here For A Spoiler Rogue's major emotional reaction to Charles Xavier's corpse

and some parts are ... just aren't sensible.

Click Here For A Spoiler Havok gets a hug from a bystander just as Cap and Wolvie are debating Cap's P.R. plan of putting the pretty mutants out front too thick for my tastes.

I give it a low rating but I will probably be getting #3. Despite the fact, it dosn't feature any of my favorite characters. Cassaday's art is dragging me along ... and the whole impending red skull smack down.

the cover alone is pretty great, except for all those crappy advertisements ruining the 60s simplicity of the design.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Oooh I think you will like it, go ahead and grab # 2 because it is even FUNNIER! [Big Grin]

Will do.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
UNCANNY AVENGERS 2

I enjoyed it more than # 1. I'm not 100 percent sold, but I will see this arc through at the very least.

WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN 17, 19, 20 & 21 (I somehow missed 18)

Now *THIS* is a book I don't mind paying $3.99 for. Not a worthless double-page spread in sight like in WAY too many DC books, and every issue is JAM-PACKED. These actually take TIME to read. And also, it's fun. Not outright comedy like DEADPOOL, but a more... I dunno, cerebral kind of fun, I guess you could say? Anyway, thanks, Peebs, for turning me onto it! [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't read an X book in years and years, but I tried All New X-Men because it's a time travel story. Because I'm so out of touch with the group, some of the glitches that DrakeB mentioned just passed by me.

The book struck me as a good jumping-on point; there was enough explanation of why people were acting the way they were without retelling their history, so it was perfectly easy to follow the plot despite skipping what came before.

It's not entirely new as a story - young person confronts older self who has messed things up royally - but it's well done. The confusion and angst of the young X-Men who've been taken to the future is set against the confusion and angst of the current team trying to deal with a lot of problems. Not a happy reunion at this point, but everyone seems to be acting like a hero.

I just wonder where it's going long term. The young ones can't remain in their future, or there won't be a future, and if they go back to their own time, it's just the Same Old X-Men.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Got All-New X-Men 3, Deadpool 3 and Avengers 1 last week! Need to read!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
All-New X-Men 3 was pretty good--establishes what the adult Scott's team/new Uncanny team will have to deal with.

One thing confused me, though...in this issue, Scott and Magneto break Emma Frost out during a prison transfer. She comes out pissed and saying that her telepathy is gone due to her being touched by the Phoenix Force.

BUT--wasn't she standing right next to Scott in #1, when the three were encountering the Australian time-freezing girl?

So I'm thinking either somehow in the span of one issue, Emma got caught by the po-po and lost her telepathy without anyone mentioning it, or Immonen accidentally drew her in when he was supposed to put in Magik or something.

Also--Avengers #1? Pretty freaking good.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
The breakout scene was a flashback dated "Eight Days Ago".

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I finally read Deadpool #2 (couldn't find #1) and...I thought it was hilarious! Just an all-around fun comic that just so happens to have jaw-dropping Tony Moore art.

Love the pastiches of the Presidents and love skirt-chasing Ben Franklin.

"Should we talk about the elephant in the room" - best line spoken in a comic book in about, oh, 25 years? Since the Heckler mini?

I think I'm on board for awhile! It felt good to have another funny comic in addition to Chew and Atomic Robo.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm interested in buying Avengers due to the line-up, but I'm going to wait until issue 2 because there wasn't enough info on some of the new members: Smasher, Captain Universe, Hyperion, to get my interest.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Deadpool 1 - 3 are in the bag and hilarious. On board with that...words I never ever would have thought I would utter.

Fun book. Great art. Interesting story, and Dr. Strange, good stuff.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I've started with Uncanny Avengers, All-New X-Men (or whatever the one with the original 5 in it is called), The Avengers (the one with like 20 members) and Fantastic Four.

Not sure what I think so far. My first complaint is one that I've always had: the same characters appearing in multiple group books. Do Cap and Wolverine really need to star in 2 or more Avengers books? Does Wolverine have to be in like 5 X-Men books? There are so many good characters out there without titles right now. Couldn't they get a home too?

Oh and I'm also reading Hunger Avengers or whatever that Kill All Teenaged Heroes title is called. Honestly I can't see myself continuing with it. With everything going on in the real world right now, I just don't think I can read a book about making young heroes kill each other to survive.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
In the 35 years I have been reading comix, I have mostly been a "DC guy;" I gravitated to their characters more, etc.

However, for about the third time in my comic reading history, I am starting to skew strongly toward Marvel (also toward Image, which has never happened)... or maybe just skew away from DC, b/c a lot of their recent product is leaving me cold (there are notable exceptions).

For Marvel Now, I am picking up the Hickman Avengers books, Young Avengers (really looking forward to that one), All-New X-Men, X-Men Legacy and trying Uncanny Avengers. Although not planning to do so, I have also found Thor and Hawkeye to be required reading. I was already reading FF and Fantastic Four and WAXM, so those were already on the list.

Wow, for me, that is a lot of Marvel titles!

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
So far, of the Marvel Now titles I have picked up, I am on the fence about All-New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers, but I have really liked everything else.

Uncanny Avengers just hasn't grabbed me yet, and for All-New X-Men: although we haven't seen much of her, my first impression is that the voice of Emma Frost is All Wrong, but then I have never been a fan of Bendis anyway, so no surprise.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also going Aaron's Thor to be pretty awesome do far. It feels fresh with a grandiose-yet-viceral quality to it.

I think Marvel has *so far* been very smart to avoid some DC mistakes.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I am digging Hickman's AVENGERS, which is apparently his way of writing the LSH, but the jury is still out until I see how this arc plays.

All-New X-Men I have really been digging.

I totally hope no one is missing WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN because that is pretty much the most fun comic published.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.