Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Dieters Support Thread (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 75 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  73  74  75   
Author Topic: Dieters Support Thread
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Way to go, Povvins!!

I apologize for my breakdown, but yesterday I realized I had been weeks without anything sweet (other than a few sweet liquids).

I fought the temptation as best I could, but broke down after work and went to the store.

I eyeballed the Hostess snack cakes-- I admit I could easily be addicted to the orange, chocolate and new apple cupcakes. I eyeballed the vanilla Zingers which I also love.

Then I spotted the individual oatmeal creme pies for only a quarter each and went with those.

I must admit the truth, feeling the yummy sugar and delicious oatmeal cookie melt in my mouth was semi-orgasmic.

But I'll be back on track today.

Heck, what's the harm in treating yourself once every couple of weeks...?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
A momentary lapse is a respite for the spirit, not a weakness. We all need our breaks! They keep us STRONG!

And Stuey... as long as it's not Famous Amos, buddy, that's all I have to say... [Wink] [lol]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I had a brief fling with Famous Amos in college. But we don't talk about that.
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I apologize for my breakdown, but yesterday I realized I had been weeks without anything sweet (other than a few sweet liquids).
Heck, what's the harm in treating yourself once every couple of weeks...?

From what I've read, there's no harm - actually it appears to be good for you to go off the diet for a day every two or three weeks. It fools your body out of starvation mode and prevents you from plateauing. So stop beating yourself up, Lash.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to echo Semi's comment, Lash. In fact, if you are eating really healthy food most of the time, "cheat meals" (or snacks) are actually encouraged. They keep you from going nuts from deprivation. This past week ended up being a "not that dedicated" week for me. Problem #1, I drank a LOT last Saturday night. This meant on Sunday, I wanted salty, fatty (hangover) food. I gave myself those days off. However, I only went to the gym on Wed and Fri. My food intake was what I'd call "normal" all week. No extra junk, but I didn't eat lightly or especially healthier. On Friday, I got back on track. The elliptical trainer is my buddy!

My workout on Wed was a fitness evaluation. Turns out I score "excellent" at cardio! That's a relief...BUT I scored "poor" at crunches, pushups and flexibility. My bodyfat percentage (measured with that nasty calliper) was in the worst of 4 categories (I forget the actual wording). So, I have lots of work to do to improve. I keep wondering how bad it would have been if I had done my eval before I'd started this recent wave of exercising and food management?

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Uh oh, the dieting support seems to be fading...

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Stu
Time Trapper

I have succumbed to the siren song of goth M&Ms... [Frown]
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been very good with avoiding the snacks and exercising, but I take holidays off.

Valentine's Day, Flag Day, Heritage Day (?), Ash Wednesday ... that's it for February, according to my calendar. Isn't there a President's Day (cherry pie!) and they forgot to list Shrove Tuesday (pancakes).

Seriously, I think you have to take some breaks, unless you're suffering from some serious health problem which demands a rigorous diet. One guy I like for diet advice (Dr. Gabe Mirkin) advocates 19 out of 21 meals a week on plan - the other two, eat whatever you want, just don't go overboard. This helps a lot, you can eat out a couple times a week without feeling guilty or trying to get special orders.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
FC, thanks for your words of wisdom. I had a cookie this morning (they were sitting there in the office kitchen crying out to me). I feel much less guilty now. Being around the half century mark, I've really been making an effort to "not go quietly" into middle age. During my twenties and thirties, I was a real gym rat - 6 times a week. In my forties, I slacked off. It took a while for my indolence to have its affect, but it did eventually. Now I've gotten back into excercising (6 times a week at 6:00 a.m. before work) and I'm very careful about what I eat and the size of the portions. I've also given up alcohol (don't tell the patrons of SHAKES). I've dropped 20 lbs. so far and firmed up. The best thing is that I have so much more energy. Let's keep this thread going and support each other's efforts.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
It's a sad fact that most of us have to eat less as we get older - or exercise more. Usually the combination of both is best. Apart from the natural resilience of youth, I'd bet I'm in much better shape now than I was at 18, when I ate a lot of junk food, sweets, got no exercise, smoked and drank.

And congrats on -20 lbs. That's no small feat!

[ February 13, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
*sigh* I'm stalled at 187 lbs, and haven't been putting the effort in these last couple of weeks. Where's the support, folks?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

With Valentine's Day and whatnot, I've actually *gained* seven pounds in the last couple of weeks.

[Frown]

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Those whatnots are killers.... hard to avoid, too.

Weight fluctuates naturally throughout the day, and from day to day, which is why weighing yourself daily can be misleading. Home scales can be affected by humidity, the type of surface they're placed on... not to make excuses for anyone, but the fit of your clothes is often a better indication than the actual weight.

It's also normal to stall for a while - don't use it as an excuse to give up or hit the dessert cart! Your metabolism adjusts; sometimes you do have to increase, or even change, your exercise. Starving yourself is the worst thing to do; your body just goes into conservation mode and slows right down. Just stay on track and you should start to lose weight again.

Of course, there's a natural weight for people, too - much as I'd like to get down to 120, the only times I've approached that is with diet pills (never again, didn't sleep for six weeks) or when my mother was dying of cancer (very very stressful). So I settle for 130, it's obtainable through healthy means - and sustainable.

Sketch Lad
Advisor

I've been eating what I consider "normal" food, meaning not extraordinarily healthy choices, but no more of my worst habits, like McDonald's and the Chinese deli case at the grocery store. I've been regularly going to the gym, doing the elliptical trainer and nautilus machines and stretching. As I sit here right now, I don't feel much different than when I started all this. It's a bit discouraging. It seems like I need to be really really strict with food in order to see a change and I need to work really really hard in the gym. This is why the "healthy" lifestyle doesn't ever seem to stick with me. However, I'm not giving up. Rather than focus on what I can't be eating, I'm going to go ahead and stick with the "reasonable" meals I've been having and I'll continue my regular routine at the gym. I think that this "slow and steady" method of fitness will be worth it in the long run. I guess I wish I was seeing those rippling abs right now, which is unrealistic.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Cramey, you make a good point about sustainable weight. Several years ago, I went on a low/zero-fat diet (I ate stuff like all sorts of veggies and tuna packed in water-- EVERY DAY) and within a couple of months was the skinniest I'd ever been, like about 155 lbs. Of course, THAT didn't last!

*MOAN OF REGRET!*

Fine, I admit I fell off the wagon and ballooned back up to 199 lbs!!

So 2 days ago, I put myself on a low-carbs diet and this morning weighed 196, so-- so far so good.

I chose the low-carbs diet because the food is yummier than on the zero-fat diet I was on and you can eat plenty OF food, something I've decided I need. Don't like that starvation crap anymore.

The drawback to this low-carbs diet is, well, I love potaotes, pasta and bread, plus eating all that meat gets to me after a while.

So I made the decision to be on this diet ONE WEEK and see how much weight I can lose. I'll decide what to do next from there.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

This topic comprises 75 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  73  74  75   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.