Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » TRUE BLOOD (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: TRUE BLOOD
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
The new HBO series, True Blood, debuted tonight. A vampire story set in Louisiana by the creators of "Six Feet Under". It stars Anna Paquin as Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress at a local bar where a lot of the action takes place. Vampires started to "come out of the coffin" a couple of years ago when the Japenese perfected synthetic blood. A small Louisiana town gets its first vampire. There is a murder, a lot of fun characters, and some sex. I think this is going to be a hit. Did anyone else see it? What did you think?

[ September 08, 2008, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been curious about this series for awhile especially when I found out the lovely and talented Miss Paquin would be playing a role. It didn't hurt that advertising for it was a large presence at SDCC this year.

As for the premiere episode I quite enjoyed it and I think it's off to a good start. I can't wait to watch the next episode.

[ September 08, 2008, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: ActorLad ]

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Anna Paquin was great. HBO typically does a good job with casting, and this show is no exception

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
They really did have a lot of advertising for this at Comic Con; I thought most of it was fairly witty (particularly the fake ads for the synthetic blood). I also got one of the free comics they were giving away.

I missed the first episode, but I'm curious to see if it's available on On Demand.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
like what i saw so far but i'm having trouble accepting Anna,..there's something about her,..could be her aweful accent that irks me. but i'm gonna watch the show every sunday or at least try to catch it on HBO on demand,..gotta love cable.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

The second episode was great too. I'm going to be totally addicted to this show. I'm guessing that the Comptons and Stackhouses have a relationship that goes back generations -- perhaps Bill was married to an ancestor of Sookie?

Lots of great lines, lots of suspense, it looks like we're going to get to see Jason naked almost every episode, and the trio of Vampires in the final scene were just plain fun.

[ September 18, 2008, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
To someone like me, a vampire junkie, we've been reading these books for ten years or so and loving them. It's wonderful that someone besides Anne Rice gets a chance at a television hit series on HBO. Anne could never give up creative control to give HBO or anybody an opportunity to bring her characters to life on the small screen like this. Charlene Harris is, to me, a wonderful author and a witty, gorgeous BBW (big beautiful woman) who must be in 7th heaven with the success of True Blood.

The series is being right on faithful to the books, so far, and I can't see them changing that. The set decoration and costuming and 'feel' are so genuine you can almost smell the gumbo, beer, cigarette smoke and even the blood. The actors are so quirky and interesting and compelling that its very satisfying. With Anna's teeth left imperfect, and her haunted past as a telepath/empath, she brings Sookie to life for me. And I think that Bill is being portrayed perfectly as well. He is having such a hard time fitting into the modern world, and you catch his Civil War era mannerisms and ideology. ANd Jerry, you are onto something [Wink]

The hardest thing for me so far is that the wonderful character actress playing Sookie's grandmother (she also played Aunt Meg in 'Twister') looks and acts very similar to my own dear mother. With the one year anniversary of mom's death coming up shortly, and knowing the fate of Sookie's granny, it is hard to watch. Scott and I both looked at each other and remarked during the first show that it was like having mom back with us watching that character.

I really enjoyed the sparkle Sookie's grandmother got in her eyes when she talked with Bill. You know that she has been raised her whole life with the misconception that the 'War of Northern Aggression' was very necessary and romantic and that the South was wronged. She is so eager to hear from a first hand source that her family ancestors and family associates and neighbors were all valient heroes. You can see Bill struggling with the truth, and yet being totally charmed by this fiesty old woman. Not to mention that he would do anything in the world for Sookie.

Oh I really want this series to take off and succeed! I want it to be the surprise hit that it is shaping up to be! And it's coming at the right time of year too, fall is vampire season after all [Smile] Take it from someone with a vampire bite tattoo, this show has fangs!!!

From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Yeah, Gran is great. According to her HBO bio her name is Lois Smith and she made her first movie with James Dean.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Keep me posted, guys. I'm already planning to get the DVD set.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't get HBO unfortunately, but hope to catch the DVDs when they come out. I'm a big fan of the books [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Wow. Stunner of an ending for tonight's episode. Aside from that, being able to see how Bill became a vampire was quite compelling. It also seems that parts of the series are developing a bit of a Twin Peaks feel. That's a good thing.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
Is it poosible that Bill's creator is the one doing all the killing?
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
oh wait, too much blood, bill said no vampire could resist it so it couldnt be a vampire.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I caught the first few episodes. So far I'm...meh. I like some of it but a lot of it leaves me flat.

I love Anna Paquin, and in fact, all the actors are great (especially both cops), but it didn't leave me as wowwed as some other HBO/Showtime shows (Rome, Deadwood, Dexter). I love the horror genre, and vampires specifically, so maybe I just have to get used to this type of setting/groundwork of vampires being so casually accepted and being served Type-O blood at bars.

I did really enjoy seeing Bill's history from the Civil War explored. I love in vampire fiction when a character's pre-Vampire past is explored, especially when its far in the past but still in cultural memory. It lays a strong groundwork for tragedy, and I thought this was brillantly done here, both actor-wise and pacing/story wise.

I'm on the fence still.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The season finale aired Sunday-- anyone still watching?

I liked this series quite a bit. I'm glad that I *hadn't* read the books yet, as I'm pretty sure whatever liberties were taken would bug me. As a rule, I like to see movies of books first, then read the book. That way the potential's there to enjoy both.

Anyway, if nothing else, TRUE BLOOD has one of the best theme songs in quite awhile.

On the whole, I find myself much more curious about Sam and the 'shifters' than the vampires (though the 'sheriff' and his droll deputy are more entertaining than Bill, IMO).

The actress playing Tara should get nominated for an Emmy.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.