Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Things you are supposed to hate... but secretly like! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Things you are supposed to hate... but secretly like!
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
Kiss' "The Elder" album

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
The movie "Roadhouse," starring Patrick Swayze. It's an updated Western and a rather obvious story about a stoic good guy defeating a bad guy. Yet I can't help enjoying it every time I watch it. Part of the reason is that Swayze represents the hero we would all like to be: He's tough, caring, and has all the right answers. He can handle himself in a fight. Another reason is Ben Gazzara, who is compelling to watch. He seethes with anger as the villain. There are also a number of supporting characters (Red, Emmett, the waitress who becomes a singer, the bouncers) who round out the world of the story and make it seem real or at least inviting.

The movie is very obviously an updated Western with a rather stereotypical view of Missouri/Kansas (where I live). Yet, in spite of all that, I find myself enjoying it.

Love that movie. Sam Elliot is awesome in it and the music is second to none. The Jeff Healey stuff that is.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
musicals- i bitch moan and complain like no tomorrow about them, but in reality i would like nothing more for the world to brake out in both sound and dance. and when no one is around i play a song i like and dance to it as if i could really dance and sing

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The one problem with musicals is that no one ever thinks it's weird that people have suddenly broken into song, and they all seem to know the lyrics.

The only time they ever broke that was in the Hairspray remake when Trudy is singing in the school and everyone's giving her weird looks.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
The movie "Roadhouse," starring Patrick Swayze. It's an updated Western and a rather obvious story about a stoic good guy defeating a bad guy. Yet I can't help enjoying it every time I watch it. Part of the reason is that Swayze represents the hero we would all like to be: He's tough, caring, and has all the right answers. He can handle himself in a fight. Another reason is Ben Gazzara, who is compelling to watch. He seethes with anger as the villain. There are also a number of supporting characters (Red, Emmett, the waitress who becomes a singer, the bouncers) who round out the world of the story and make it seem real or at least inviting.

The movie is very obviously an updated Western with a rather stereotypical view of Missouri/Kansas (where I live). Yet, in spite of all that, I find myself enjoying it.

Love that movie. Sam Elliot is awesome in it and the music is second to none. The Jeff Healey stuff that is.
Sam Elliott can really put feeling into a line such as "Hurts, don't it?" [Wink]

I think "Roadhouse" is the only movie in which I've liked Elliott. He plays essentially the same character in every movie he's in: the wizened and grisled mentor. But here it works because the movie is full of broadly drawn archetypes and also because of his chemistry with Swayze.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Jury duty!
I'm thrilled when that envelope arrives in the mail.
I love sitting in the jury pool waiting to get called becaused I'm just facinated by the cross-section of people sitting there with me. Everything from eccentric shut-ins who look like they haven't been out of their houses in years, to high-end professionals in fancy suits who can't believe their precious time is being wasted.
Once I'm picked and in a courtroom, watching the lawyers going through their song and dance is more entertaining than any TV show or movie version of it.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hitler moustaches!

Seriously, it was a pretty rocking li'l style of moustache in the early twentieth century, but now no one will wear them because it's associated with Hitler!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Two comic creators I don't care for are Robert Crumb and Harvey Pekar-- except when they're working together. I don't know why. They just have a awesome vibe when they collaborate. And while I don't own much of American Splendor, the comic book, American Splendor the movie is pure joy on nearly every level possible. I love it madly.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
--- oops.

Thanks Dean.

[ March 21, 2010, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Dev Em ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Wrong thread, Dev.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

My next entry...cleaning the bathroom! Yeah, it can be icky but when all the nastiness is scrubbed away, then buffed out with a pristine paper towel, there is instant gratificiation. THEN, later in the day, when you go back in there to *use* it, and find it all sparkly/shiny, it's a SECOND burst of pride and joy. Alas, it's so temporary, though, especially in my house of 5 plus 3 pets and frequent visitors.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Agreed with that one, Sketchy! There are days when I just *need* to accomplish *something*, and a successful battle against soap scum can be quite fulfilling!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Oh, and just to clarify, my 3 pets don't use the bathroom like we do (I'm not that patient/fanatic a trainer). But the cats do like to drink out of the tub. I find evidence of their travels in there all the time. As for the dog, well, his hair is EVERYWHERE in our house, so it comes as no surprise that it's in the bathroom too.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Agreed with that one, Sketchy! There are days when I just *need* to accomplish *something*, and a successful battle against soap scum can be quite fulfilling!

Yeah, maybe I should have just put the general subject of "cleaning" in this thread. I actually do hate cleaning, but once I'm done, I'm very satisfied/relieved, so it's worth it.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Yeah, maybe I should have just put the general subject of "cleaning" in this thread. I actually do hate cleaning, but once I'm done, I'm very satisfied/relieved, so it's worth it.

Cleaning the bathroom, not so much, but there are always little projects that when I feel like I'm getting *nowhere* with some aspect of my life, I can just go do, like rake the lawn, and get a sense that I accomplished something.

It's all empowering and shit!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.