Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Things you are supposed to hate... but secretly like! (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Things you are supposed to hate... but secretly like!
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Heh. Good. I thought lawyers and judges were disqualified because they were considered officers of the court. Learn something new every day.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Burning match smell. My roommate likes incense and candles and cigarettes and all that jazz (which I can't stand), but when he lights a match to fire one of those puppies up, I love the smell of burning sulphur!

I also like the smell of tobacco, but only when it's not on fire.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
That's right there with burning leaves in the fall to me, Set.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Heh. Good. I thought lawyers and judges were disqualified because they were considered officers of the court. Learn something new every day.

I only found that out after law school and taking the bar exam. What a waste of 4 years. [Wink]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Does mah heart good to know they still gotta serve.

[Wink]

--------------------

Something pithy!

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
And serve I did for 3 months. Was back once already and finished up 1 case. Have 3 more cases to finish. Next date is June 24th

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Burning match smell. My roommate likes incense and candles and cigarettes and all that jazz (which I can't stand), but when he lights a match to fire one of those puppies up, I love the smell of burning sulphur!

I also like the smell of tobacco, but only when it's not on fire.

Most people I know do like the smell of a struck match. Either they're all weird or it's more common overall than you might think.

Love the smell of lit pipe tobacco, probably because my Dad was a pipe smoker for most of his life. Also, even though I hate cigarette smoking, I like the smell of a freshly-lit cigarette IF it's lit outdoors in the open air.

I know. Weird. [shrug]

Cigars, OTOH, always smell like poo to me.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Golf channel. Okay, when this channel first started, there were all kinds of jokes. It wouldn't last, its boring, blah blah blah, yakety yakety.

Since Golf is the best single player game I can think of, you don't need a team, there's no time limit, its just you against the course, its something I can do by myself, enjoy a quiet day, relax, and smack the crap outta a little white ball.

the golf channel is great at giving lessons on how to play shots, interviews, coverage of live matches... its just a far better channel than anyone gave it credit for.

Love it.

--------------------

Something pithy!

rickshaw1
Leader

Manual labor.

Seriously. I like doing hard physical work. Its much better to me, feeds my soul more than just going to a gym and moving weights around. I go to the gym on the doctors recommendation, but to me, work that taxes you physically, and actuall accomplishes something other than just trying to make yourself look pretty, is much more rewarding.

for the last few days after work, I've been at the folks place with slingblade and bush axe clearing up areas messed up by the thieving construction company that left the place in a mess. I've got my calluses again for the first time in years (love it), I'm sore and tired at the end of the day, but I feel much better than when I wake up after going to the gym.

You can relax as you work, let yourself drop all the aggravations of the day, the stress and worry, and clear your head. Love it.

--------------------

Something pithy!

future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Manual labor.

Seriously. I like doing hard physical work. Its much better to me, feeds my soul more than just going to a gym and moving weights around. I go to the gym on the doctors recommendation, but to me, work that taxes you physically, and actuall accomplishes something other than just trying to make yourself look pretty, is much more rewarding

for the last few days after work, I've been at the folks place with slingblade and bush axe clearing up areas messed up by the thieving construction company that left the place in a mess. I've got my calluses again for the first time in years (love it), I'm sore and tired at the end of the day, but I feel much better than when I wake up after going to the gym.

You can relax as you work, let yourself drop all the aggravations of the day, the stress and worry, and clear your head. Love it.

Wow. I got tired just reading your post there bro! [LOL]

I guess if I was more into working around the yard I would feel differently. Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoy cutting the grass and while I don't mind planting the odd flower around the house (to score brownie points with the little woman more than anything) diggin' up dirt and moving it around and all that kinda stuff just ain't my thing.

Plus, my job, while not physical per se, is not an office/cubicle job either. It's retail management so there is a fair bit of moving around to do. I cannot sit for more than a few minutes before having the need to get up and move again.

I do have the utmost respect for those that do have more physically demanding professions though.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also like manual labor but with a caveat: I like landscaping / home improvement labor. I once worked on a roofing crew and then later worked on a demolition crew and those jobs were absolutely terrible. But I do miss the physical exertion and rewarding feel of manual labor around the house for the reasons Rick gives.

I can't wait to sell our condo and buy a house to do that (later this year, cross fingers).

I come from a blue collar family and my Dad is a former iron worker so I grew up having to physically maintain the house. But my job now is not only an office job, it's a take people to plays, dinners and lunches, have meetings and travel job, so I really don't get any physical benefit from it. And the gym is still the gym--boring and always makes me feel as if I'm not utilizing my time wisely.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Oh sure, there's hard labor and there's hard labor. Breaking rocks on a chain gang, not so much. But doing something like I did today (clearing land with a slingblade, hoeing and raking, cleaning and setting up a new patch for the Iris' I'm growing in bulk) really works the kinks out. You get to let the mind rest from all the stress and worry of bills, etc... and just let the muscles do the work.

After all day of worrying about contracts, making sure logging crews are where they are supposed to be, doing what they are supposed to be doing, not getting over on other people's property, etc... mindless hard labor with a future goal in sight is a great release and relief. Plus, it works the pounds off in the hot South Carolina sun.

--------------------

Something pithy!

future king

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
We are supposed to hate ... eating the fat on a cut of steak.

Sorry, but I have always ALWAYS enjoyed that part of the cut. Not too much mind you, but to completely trim all of it off is such a waste in my eyes. Especially bbq and skillet fried ... mmm - mmm!
Yes I get that for most people eating the fat is a no-no and the less cholesterol in food the better for us in the long run. For me though who will eat a steak maybe every second or third week (fish and chicken are still top of the food chain for me), choosing a cut that has a bit of fat on it and then keeping the fat intact while I eat it is a treat.

To each their own I guess!

[ May 24, 2011, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: future king ]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Yeah, my dad always said it was the best part of the steak, it had all the taste.

Then he had a stroke at 54 from clogged arteries.

Honestly, I can't stand the consistency of it, the texture. To me, its in the same range as mushrooms. They are soft, but they crunch? WTH?

--------------------

Something pithy!

future king

quote:
Yeah, my dad always said it was the best part of the steak, it had all the taste.

Your dad is my hero!

As for the clogged arteries, well I could go on to quote other notable possible causes but, anyways.

Everything in moderation my friend! [Yes]

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.