Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Things you are supposed to hate... but secretly like! (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Things you are supposed to hate... but secretly like!
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
quote:
Originally posted by lancesrealm:
Liver. I love liver. Longhorns has a deal where you get all the liver you can eat for 5 bucks. I definitely get my money's worth.

So would I, if were fixing a decadent snack for three dozen housecats.

[Razz]

Meow. [Fat Cramer]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Learning. As a kid I hated school and that hasn't changed. Lots of folks from where I live think it cool to hate learning. They've said things like " 'x' thinks they're better than they are. I know where they come from..." about others.

I like learning new things. True, most of it is practical stuff, but to me, one day, when the asteroid hits, all the cyberheads will be locked in their hermetically sealed domestic chambers, but I'll be outside, building shelter with my own hands.... and possibly shooting zombies that spring up outta the Apocalypse.

I'm blue collar, but I gots skills.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
^^I like learning, too. Thing of it is, much of what I've learned has no practical use, but they're just fun to know. For example, the entire history of personnel changes in Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starhip has no practical value whatsoever (though I did get a paid article out it when I interviewed the Airplane's original bass player), but it's fascinating nonetheless.

Besides, learning stuff leads to learning other stuff which can have practical uses. All the Legion trivia, for example, is good for memorizing details or understanding complex theories and histories. It can even lead (gasp) to a curiosity in things that have nothing to do with comics -- literary analysis, for example. Greek tragedies don't seem so strange when one has spent years reading the comic book adventures of Thor and Hercules.

"X thinks better than they are. I know where they came from." Yeah, I've gotten that, too. I came from a working class family. My response to that is, "I hope I'm better than I was and am getting better than I am. Don't you?"

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Manual labor. I'd much rather haul boxes and fill orders in the warehouse than sit reception all day.

It's funny that the temp agencies always use the latter type of job as a "lure" to get you calling them every week. It's more upscale and "womanly" to sit at a desk taking calls all day, but I've never cared for it. You have to dress up, which means looking like an exec without having an exec's income. (Then there's the dry-cleaning bills. Yarrgh!) In a small office, it also means juggling tasks like a manager without any salary compensation or cool title.

I'd rather be allowed to just dress down and move stuff all day. If only the locales of most warehouse jobs weren't so damn impossible for a car-less person! [grumble]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
^^ I know what you mean about missing manual labor. Before I got my LPN license I worked mostly factory and warehouse jobs. I miss being able to punch in, do my thing, and punch out. And this might sound weird, but I also miss being able to "zone out" while working. I always have to be 100% "on" at my current job. I'll take physical labor over stupid doctors, angry family members and lazy CNA's.

My old friends at the factory always seem so stress-free after work, I get a little jealous.

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Ditto on the manual labor. Where I'm working now, there's a position where you stand around figuring out what labels to put on stuff that's wicked easy (but requires a lot of thinking), a position where you attend to a giant robot machine that has a dozen blinking lights and warning sirens for the dozen different things that can go wrong, and you spend the entire shift trying to diagnose what it's problem is *this* time, and a position where you mindlessly move heavy packages onto a conveyor belt for eight hours.

I love the conveyor belt. I can stand there doing heavy lifting for eight hours, while my mind is off in fantasy-land.

That and loading the trucks at the end of the night. I can load four trucks in an hour, and everyone else whines about how it's cold, and the rolling stock is heavy (175 lbs *empty,* plus up to 400 lbs. of mail inside), but it's so nice to not have to figure out what's wrong with the machine, or which sensor is blocked, or which tray is stuck, or which roller is tangled up, or which tech or mechanic needs to be called in to fix something even more esoteric.

I'm all for stress-free work, and manual labor is where it's at!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Burning sulfur matches.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Pepto Bismol! If I have even the HINT of a tummy ache, I'll gladly take a swig! What can I say? I think it's yummy! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, me too Lardy! You're the only person I've ever known to feel the same about Pepto!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
That. Is. Just. Too. Weird.

Just sayin...I feel the same way. Also love the taste of Nyquil.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Pepto Bismol! If I have even the HINT of a tummy ache, I'll gladly take a swig! What can I say? I think it's yummy! [Yes]

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Wow, me too Lardy! You're the only person I've ever known to feel the same about Pepto!

quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
That. Is. Just. Too. Weird.
Just sayin...I feel the same way.

Strange! People always look at me like I'm bat-shit CRAZY when i tell 'em I like it!

quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Also love the taste of Nyquil.

Brrr. Not with ya there, champ. [Disgusting] (Love how it works, though!)

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

And, dude, my mom used to get me these cartons of gum eggs for Easter that came in an assortment of yellow, purple and pink. I SWEAR the pink ones tasted just like Pepto! [Yes] [Drool]

--------------------

Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
So we have three live Tenzils who love their Bismoll.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
So we have three live Tenzils who love their Bismoll.

Oh....don't remind me about that one.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
A local donut shop used to make a Pepto-flavored donut, until the company complained about copyright issues. So the love of Pepto thing isn't as rare as perhaps previously thought.

[Wink]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.