Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Things you are supposed to hate... but secretly like! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Things you are supposed to hate... but secretly like!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also like the movie Roadhouse and brussell sprouts!

Something else I also like: airports and traveling in general. I like the break from being at the office, I like the feeling of going somewhere, and I like how airports are basically giant malls these days. On an airplane (assuming you aren't afraid of flying), you can read, listen to your Ipod, watch a movie, type on your laptop--basically no one can bother you. I'm also a big fan of traveling very lightly and packing very little...its a bit thrilling to live out of a suitcase for three days and know you have just enough stuff for maybe one more day than you're supposed to, and you will likely have to end up entertaining yourself for a little while.

^And that's all from flying in coach. First class can be fun sometimes but its highly overrated for the cost. Its only worth it if you get a free upgrade or an upgrade deal for like $50.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
The smell of burning leaves in fall. Most people freak out anymore about burning, so trained in thinking its only destructive.

But, a good pile of raked leaves, the boy diving into it and playing, and then, when the nose is truly running from the chill, FIRE!

The leaves go up and there is this wonderful smell from my childhood all over again. I can't burn leaves here in town, so the only place I get to smell it anymore is either at my folks place in the country, or out on the road while working.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like bad weather and feel better when the pressure drops.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also love the rain and "bad weather". I find it both soothing and relaxing. I never use an umbrella, as I don't mind getting a little wet either.

I like the sun and nice weather too, but so many people I know act like someone kicked them when it rains. I need variety.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Also, big crowds of people. I know my wife hates giant crowds, as does my Mom, as do most my siblings. I was made for them.

I always excelled socially in High School and college when I was in large crowds of people and now I just thrive off the energy. One of my favorite places is Grand Central Station in NYC because you can just feel the energy when you're in there--hundreds of people walking through every second with things to do and places to go. I love it.

For this reason, I also like parades and carnivals. Of course, any time there is a large crowd, the reason for the gathering usually comes with a few negatives (re: drunk teenagers at parades, weird people at carnivals, etc.)

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I also love the rain and "bad weather". I find it both soothing and relaxing. I never use an umbrella, as I don't mind getting a little wet either.

I like the sun and nice weather too, but so many people I know act like someone kicked them when it rains. I need variety.

I am with you on this.

I was in a massive downpour one day walking to a local store. The huddled masses waiting for it to clear up a little before making that mad dash to the car. Looking at the rain as if wanted to melt them where they stood.

As I approached them, calmly walking, I looked at the crowd and said "It's only water." As I got to the crowd, several people were actually laughing out loud and starting out into the rain...not running either.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of bad weather....

Wimbledon.

I'm from the south where "men are men and women are women and we don't go fer no tooty fruity sports what don't involve men hittin' each other and pattin' each other on tha ass" as one ...ahem...gentleman explained to me in P.E. one day.

(I thought he was much "gayer" than his homophobia let on...turns out I was right, but that's another story)

However, one day I happened on Wimbledon and watched a few minutes. It was a women's match and funny thing was, not only was it very athletic and demanding, it was fun to watch, and the women were smokin' hot. then I started noticing that a lot of the "alternative" sports were a lot tougher for the individual player than some of the so-called team sports. I have enjoyed them ever since.

I haven't abandoned Baseball, my fist love, or football, not so much a love as enjoying following my favorite team, but I've enjoyed a lot more different sports, like the Tour De France, beach volleyball (though I haven't seen much the last couple of years), and others.

So, thanks coach. If you hadn't been the class a jerk (and later to find out pedophile with the running back) I might never have felt the need to check out some other sports besides the ones that gave you a woody, perv.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
Democratic control of state legislatures outside of New England and Iowa.

Brussel sprouts

Dream Boy

[Dream Boy]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
I was in a massive downpour one day walking to a local store. The huddled masses waiting for it to clear up a little before making that mad dash to the car. Looking at the rain as if wanted to melt them where they stood.

Ditto. I walk where I need to go, generally, living within walking distance of most of the stuff I need to deal with, and sometimes it's raining and I just go right out there. Once you're wet, it's futile to try and keep any part of yourself dry anyway, as it's gonna soak into your clothes and spread all over the place, so just accept the wetness and keep on walking!

Another thing that I'm probably supposed to hate, getting stopped by the police and asked what I'm doing. I walk late at night to the gym and back, and about once a month, a police car pulls up beside me and asks what I'm doing. I tell them, they drive on (generally accepting that the dude covered in sweat wearing gym shorts and hiking through foot-deep snow drifts did, in fact, just come from the gym...).

It's nice to know that they are driving around keeping an eye on stuff and not parked somewhere asleep.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Put me down as hating any interaction with the police. It almost never goes well for me. Despite the fact that my father was in law enforcement. Go figure.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Well, thats what you get for cartin' those dead hookers around in your trunk. We told you to get rid of them, but nooooo........

[Wink]

--------------------

Something pithy!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also hate any interaction at all with the police, even though I have at least over a dozen great friends who are cops (one in my wedding party and three more who came to my wedding--that's how good).

Of course, I was arrested in High School, again in college, and have had several other "classic" run-ins with them in my day. But those are stories for other times... [Big Grin]

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Thread blur strikes again! [Razz]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, and Roadhouse fans, take note: There's been both a play and a musical adaptation of your favorite movie. The play was here a few days ago. (No, I didn't go. I'm broke. What else is new?)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Some others mentioned cleaning a few pages back as something they secretly like. For me, its not so much cleaning (though I also will clean the kitchen), but organizing that I like to do that provides me with a distraction and sense of getting something done. If I get a whole mess of material / information or just a plain mess itself, I don't mind digging in and getting the damn thing organized. Sometimes when I do some writing, I think organizing can actually be counter-intuitive to creativity (though not always, sometimes it helps and enhances it); however, for more practical stuff, I feel the immediate need to get everything organized and measured.

I get it from my father. It used to drive my Mom crazy sometimes and I think my wife is feeling the same. My brother who is a year younger than me is like my father and I, while my little brother and sister are more like my Mom and prefer the 'cluster of chaos' approach to things.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.