Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency? (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Levitz back to writing Legion, leaving DC presidency?
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: other creator comments.

In the Wed Comics interviews on CBR or some site a couple writers/artists when asked what they'd like to see if the project continues is a Levitz Legion.

That would be the best of all worlds to me. A Levitz Legion not contrained by continuity.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
That would be the best of all worlds to me. A Levitz Legion not contrained by continuity.

Now *that* would get me excited.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally go to work for a day and all... something breaks loose.

[Eek!] [Eek!]

Well, I wish everyone involved good luck, of course. Really can't afford to jump in with a regular book the way prices are nowadays, though. Also, isn't there a saying about how you can't go home again?

Even if they do return, Levitz and Giffen aren't the same people they were in 1982 (or whenever) and neither are we.

[shrug]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
This is certainly an interesting development. I lean toward being skeptical regarding the idea that one can truly ever go home. Lightning rarely strikes twice. It wasn't that long ago that fans and press releases heralded the return of Jim Shooter. Fan response to to his writing was, at best, lukewarm and editorial pulled the rug right out from under him. I predict that Levitz will have a more successful return than Shooter, even though that isn't a very high bar. At the very least, Levitz has the reputation of being a professional and a company man. He will be treated with respect, and will be given the chance to finish the story that he starts. How long has it been since that has happened on a Legion book?

Regarding artists, I would love to see some brief and fun reunions. However, the Legion always works best with a hot new talent who has a fresh visual perspective on the team. I hope that is what we end up with.

[ September 09, 2009, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, to say that reaction on this board is mixed is an understatement.
I'm in favor of Levitz returning. Geoff Johns said he was a big fan of the Legion and he was gonna do this and that and blah,blah,blah, at San Diego in '08 I believe, and overall, he did some good things, but in general, I think we got hosed.

As many have said, Levitz has a real respect for the history of the Legion. When I emailed him once upon a time he said he'd love to write it again. I agree that there will likely be a "transition" toward the Legion being the main feature of the book. As Levitz transitions out of his old role, he will likely write shorter stories, just to get his feet wet and set up some foundations for the future, no pun intended. Then as he establishes more, the Legion takes over the bigger portion, if not the entire book.

As President, Publisher, and fanboy, he knows the Legion as well as anyone, I think. as far as his stories being dated, has anything worked REALLY well with the Legion in the last dozen or so years? I'm not saying we settle, but it has to be an improvement. As far as comparing his situation to that of Jim Shooter, let's face it, Jim Shooter has a...ah...problem with not doing things his way and taking orders. He tends to rub people the wrong way, whereas Levitz is respected and simply seems to get things done.

quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
On the one hand Levitz wrote arguably the greatest Legion story ever....on the other hand by the time he was done writing the Legion(due to editorial policy as much as anything he did) there wasn't must left to write about...

How could that be possible? It's the future! In a comic book! He can write in what ever direction is needed!

I do hope you can go home again...again.

As far as artists go, much has been made about those who burn out on the Legion. The late great Curt Swan never really enjoyed the Legion and literally needed a scorecard with a color key to tell himself who to color what color. On the other hand, there a number of artists, like Grell, the late Dave Cockrum, Steve Lightle, Terry Shoemaker Dan Jurgens, and others who have said they'd do it again in a heartbeat. Personally, I'd take any of them. IVAN REIS?!? Holy cow, I'd cry with joy every month I opened the book! He did some of the most breathtaking work I've ever seen on Green Lantern.

Keith Giffen on the other hand--he has his place in Legion history as a writer/plotter and artist, but I really want him far, far, far away from the art chores, unless he could go back to his orginal style. At his age and after so many years however, I don't think that's possible.

To sum it all up, for the first time in months, I have...hope.

2010 has to be a better year than 2009 for the Legion.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Levitz.
He's old enough to retire, right?
Writer's aren't like athletes, so maybe his age won't be a bad thing.

He probably won't like the New Wanderers (aka. [Umbra] ) much, or [Gates] and [XS] .

I guess I should be happy, Waid turned Shady into a one dimensional caricature of herself and Shooter didn't really write about her at all.

Is Levitz the one who had [Shadow Lass] cut off her finger and then, become a nun?
(Please tell me he didn't have [White Witch] marry [Mordru] !)

I really respect Paul Levitz, though.
This is just an awful lot of change and I'm [Confused] .

I mean, more than usual but I'll still be hopeful for the Legion.
It's just that I've been so done with this Legion for so long.
sigh

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
The late great Curt Swan never really enjoyed the Legion and literally needed a scorecard with a color key to tell himself who to color what color.

It was funny when Swan said he'd rather retire that go back to doing the Legion after Byrne replaced him on Superman. He wanted no part of drawing all those characters and all that futuristic stuff...a shame too because he was really good at it.

Hmmm...Al Plastino's still around.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
[QB] Levitz.
He's old enough to retire, right?

He's really not that old Candle...53. He started really young.

Er...actually he's not 53 yet.

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
The article said he went through the DC headquarters at 13 and somewhere it said he worked for DC 37 years.
I thought he must have gone to college, but he could have started as a page or something.

So, he's 52?

Well, that's young enough to still be a strong force with futuristic ideas and everything!
Thanks, I feel much better.

Here, I was thinking that he was at least my age!
[LOL]

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
The article said he went through the DC headquarters at 13 and somewhere it said he worked for DC 37 years.
I thought he must have gone to college, but he could have started as a page or something.

So, he's 52?

Well, that's young enough to still be a strong force with futuristic ideas and everything!
Thanks, I feel much better.

Here, I was thinking that he was at least my age!
[LOL]

He wrote his first Legion story when he was 17 or 18 or something. He was an editor when he was like 19 or 20 or something and he's been on the DC executive board for as long as I can remember...since the mid 70's. He was in his early 20's when he wrote the Great Darkness Saga...

If he went to college it was probably while he was working for DC.

But you know...you might have stumbled onto something here about the Legion writers...

It seems like the most popular ones have been really young guys.

Jim Shooter was 13, Levitz was 17...I bet Cary Bates wasn't much older either because he was part of the same youth movement that brought Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Shooter, Bridwell and I guess Levitz into comics.

Maybe the problem has been the writers have all been too old since Levitz....I don't think any of them have been under 30.

[ September 10, 2009, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Paul has tremendous respect for the Legion, and I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he can write the 30th (31st) century again! He's one of the reasons the Legion has always been my favorite team! [Smile]

I appreciate that Giffen would jump if Paul called, but I actually never cared for his artwork (regardless of how he changed his style).

Can't wait for this to happen! (and I was worried when I heard Geoff was leaving 6 issues in...guess you gotta have faith!)

LLLL (long live the Legion and Levitz!) [Smile]
(Hey NC, we need a Paul Levitz graemlin!! [LOL] )

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
He wrote his first Legion story when he was 17 or 18 or something. He was an editor when he was like 19 or 20 or something and he's been on the DC executive board for as long as I can remember...since the mid 70's. He was in his early 20's when he wrote the Great Darkness Saga...

If he went to college it was probably while he was working for DC.

But you know...you might have stumbled onto something here about the Legion writers...

It seems like the most popular ones have been really young guys.

Jim Shooter was 13, Levitz was 17...I bet Cary Bates wasn't much older either because he was part of the same youth movement that brought Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Shooter, Bridwell and I guess Levitz into comics.

Maybe the problem has been the writers have all been too old since Levitz....I don't think any of them have been under 30.

Maybe you're right!
I think the artists, most of them(?) were youngish though, when they started with the Legion.

Coipel was very young, I know.
(But then, I call my husband's sons 'kids' and they're 48 and 50.)
[Smile]

Maybe DC should hire the boy that wrote 'Eregon'.
He should be in his middle teens still.

[ September 10, 2009, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------

Come, join me!

stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
Yay! Just Yay!
From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Para-Dox
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para-Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Para-Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm 21, will graduate in english next year. They should give me a call [Wink]

--------------------
'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com

From: England | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Paul Levitz to return to the LEGION OF SUPER HEROES!!!!!!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090909-levitz-statement.html

[Big Grin]

quote:
So, he's 52?

is this the real story behind 52 not the parallel earths but that Levitz will return to the legion? [Confused]

[ September 10, 2009, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Superboy-Supergirl ]

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.