Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Justice League (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  39  40  41   
Author Topic: Justice League
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So, is Geo-Force leaving the League for the Outsiders? Or will he be doing double-duty, like Bats?

I like him and want to see how he'd fit in-- same with Vixen, though I want her to get her traditional powers back.

I'm not a League traditionalist, though. I liked the Detroit change (just not the stories told with them), as it was resonant with Cap's Kooky Quartet over at Marvel in The Avengers, an era I find fun and ultimately making the team. So, I'm open to these off-the-wall members.

It's not setting the world on fire, but I'm enjoying this title. I liked the Tangent body-switching thing, I thought it was sort of fun.

The new Firestorm and the new Atom are joining/have joined... that should be interesting.

I thought I'd love Black Canary as leader, but something about her portrayal as such isn't working for me. Dunno what.

Wonder Woman's impressed me more in this series as a Leaguer than in a long time. In small ways.

Red Tornado loses a body *again*? Yeesh, let's have some different beats for Reddy for awhile, OK?

Super-villain armies just aren't as entertaining when they get too large... for me, anyway. Unless they're the complete focus of the storytelling-- which they weren't in the JL issues. Looked good, though. Of course, with a League this large, such an army is required.

If they get a return (leave Luthor out next time, why don't you?), I think it should be in small groups spread out over time, facing handfuls of League members, including reserve characters, building up to some large scheme/smackdown.

Red Arrow... I'm not loving the Kendra connection, but since she's 'only' Kendra now I don't mind as much as I once did. Frankly, I still want Shayera back and probably always will.

The Cheshire stuff was disturbing... I thought Roy'd gotten past cutting her slack. How's he going to feel when she kills the population of a city, or something?

Time to dispel Lian's illusions, I think. Maybe with Donna in the upcoming reunited Titans series?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
can't wait for the jla to hand the suicide squad their...*ss*s.

not feelin this book even though i keep pickin it up..maybe i pick it up for the art and the satellite era feel the line up has.

hmmm. he vixen has ANIMAL powers. that is all. not people power snatching abilities. she's called the vixen.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
After Lightning Saga I pretty much dropped this book, but my impression is that this League could have been really interesting, if only Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Hal Jordan / Green Lantern had wandered off to be big names somewhere else.

I am *way* more interested in Roy (who is Arsenal, dammit! Red Arrow? Lame!), Vixen and Black Lightning. The dudes who already have their own books are just weighing it down and taking airtime from the interesting characters, IMO.

Then again, I've always been a fan of the ones that get little airtime, like Vixen, Steel, Booster Gold, Phantom Stranger, Oracle, Rocket Red, Hawkwoman and Amazing Man.

The 'old squad' feels just that to me. Old. I'm past ready for Donna Troy to take over being Wonder Woman, Conner Kent to be Superman, Nightwing to take over for Bruce, Kyle Rayner and Wally West to remain the Green Lantern / Flash, rather than constantly have the dead people get ressurected, only to be used poorly, if at all.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Set... you are my hero!
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So another issue featuring Roy and Kendra, you know I had to pick it up. They make a brief appearance, and they don't make an impressive appearance. But they were there.

It's more about The Human Flame, and Libra recruiting him.

And the Trinity have a secret metting place within the Hall of Justice. I dont' like the idea at all, it sounds too exclusive. They rate Canary's performance and Vixen's powers.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think by this time I'm pretty sick of the Trinity constantly appearing together (and the Trinity weekly hasn't even come out). I feel like we've been beaten over the head with it these last few years.

Honestly Supes & Bats are buddies; Wonder Woman belongs more with the rest of the League. But drawing a distinction between them specifically from the entire rest of the League again and again and again...well, I'm bored with it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I think by this time I'm pretty sick of the Trinity constantly appearing together (and the Trinity weekly hasn't even come out). I feel like we've been beaten over the head with it these last few years.

I agree. And if Mark Bagley wasn't drawing Trinity, I wouldn't have added it to my list, but my reasoning is that if Trinity sells in good numbers, then Bagley will be rewarded with a plum assignment which I would be 100% commited to.

And if anyone's wondering why I'd get a comic written by Kurt Busiek when I dislike his Avengers so much, the answer is that I don't have the same emotional investment in the DC characters that I do in the Marvel characters -- ESPECIALLY NOT the Trinity, even though they've all had their brief moments over the last three years that I've been reading comics again: DnA & Chris Batista's Superman Confidential arc, Paul Dini's first few issues of Detective Comics, bits and pieces of Gail Simone's Wonder Woman...

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I actually don't mind that particular trio existing as their own little team-within-a-team. Sort of like the Legion's founders, though none of this trio actually *was* a JL founder, I don't think?

Anyway, it sort of resonates with Bats and Supes status with the Justice Society back in the 1940's. Members, but not.

Though it's a rare issue that *doesn't* have the Power Trio (I dislike the Trinity name-- too quasi-religious for me). I'd prefer that it was a real event when all three participate in a Justice League adventure, though one or two of the three can and should be featured often.

I'd prefer they met openly, though. This clandestine stuff hasn't been big enough to merit all the energy they're (the characters) putting in to the secrecy, etc.

I was amused that the *real* JL founders, or at least some of them, had selected a team, trumping their would-be machinations back at the beginning of the series. Keeping a sense of humor in place when presenting them would go a long way towards keeping them palatable.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

New issue's out-- and it moves the Vixen and Red Tornado subplots forward quite a bit. Reading solicits for upcoming months tells you what's happening with Mari.

The RT body drama just needs to stop. I hope there's a definitive end ahead soon. If not, let it rest for a few decades. Or is that such a fundamental part of the character now that a writer wouldn't feel like he or she's writing a Red Tornado story without destroying his body?

The Red Arrow/Hawkgirl gets as big a stamp of approval as it could get in the DCU in this issue. Guess it ain't gonna be just a bit of a fling, after all.

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I was amused that the *real* JL founders, or at least some of them, had selected a team, trumping their would-be machinations back at the beginning of the series.

While I loved that the team lineup ended up falling together without the Big3, the only founder present for the real formation of the current team was Green Lantern. According to current retcontinuity, Wonder Woman has re-replaced Black Canary as a founder.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

I would have preferred BC being among the original founders, with WW having a similar relationship like Bats or Supes.
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
And the Trinity have a secret metting place within the Hall of Justice. I dont' like the idea at all, it sounds too exclusive. They rate Canary's performance and Vixen's powers.

Some pigs are more equal than other pigs, I guess.

The holy trinity is rating Black Canary's performance? Puh-lease, that's like having Doctor Druid deciding whether or not Thor has what it takes to be an Avenger.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Well we actually had an issue where Black Canary was the leader.

I also want to see an end to the Red Tornado body story line. Reddy has always been one of my favorite characters, but the story line has just dragged on too long.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I originally hoped that Meltzer's "Reddy in a human body" storyline would result in an end to the "Reddy gets blown up" storylines. Oh well. Maybe MacDuffie will have better luck.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

#23 features more of the Amazo fight. I like the art, and the story's OK- I've always found Amazo one of the more boring DC villains. Here, he's a bit more computational than I remember him.

It was a kick seeing him duplicate a JLAer's power that I don't remember him using before- that of Zatanna. What he does with it reminds me of an old STAR TREK story- or specifically of a particular image in that story that horrified me as a kid. It's not so much horrifying as 'bout time' here. IMO.

A robot wielding magic? That's a cool idea, a *really* cool one- for anyone else but super-power duplicating Amazo. Magic's just another super-power? Really?

Isn't DC's magic supposed to have consquence and stuff after the recent crises and resolutions? They've never delivered on that promise, have they?

I hope this results in a big power-down for Zatanna and a resolution to the power fluctuations for Vixen.

Decent fight scenes, but it's mostly so much middle.

This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  39  40  41   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.