Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Savage Hawkman (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Savage Hawkman
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
We'll have to check with Cobie about Lasso & Hummingbird's status as historic villains, as this is the longest Ive ever followed a HAWK-book (all 40 issues... sure am glad I made it through those issues Geoff Johns was apparently phoning in, 'cause this book has been H-O-T for a while now).

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that Hummingbird and Lasso are newest villains....Cobie, hurry up on your research! [Big Grin]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
guess I may be wrong this time...according to google.com and I found that there was a Hummingbird during the golden age time....she first appeared in Flash Comics #52!
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

hey looks like I am wrong for the second time! here is the list of Hawkman's foes and their first appearances...and Lasso is on the list:

Hawkman
the Acrobat (Flash #89; Hawkman foe) - hooded leader of gang of acrobats.
Alexander the Great (Flash #2; Hawkman foe) - egghead in tuxedo; has a
gravity-ray gun.
Armond Argot (Flash #26; Hawkman foe).
the Beanstalk (Flash #61; Hawkman foe) - powers?
Benjamin Brock (Flash #29; Hawkman foe) - criminal botanist that animates
plant-men.
Chance (Flash #37; Hawkman foe) - bald; evil genius; owns crooked gambling
den; always calculates odds.
Coin (Flash #32; Hawkman foe) - clever thief; uses coins to distract & for
gimmicks - heated coins, electrified, etc.
Dr. Barnes (Flash #94; Hawkman foe) - uses an molecular rearranger to
project people into fabrics and then re-animate them.
Dynamo (Flash #49; Hawkman foe) - glows in the dark; electricity powers.
Father Time (Flash #33; Hawkman foe) - old man with poisoned scythe.
the Foil (Flash #87; Hawkman foe) - wields a foil; swordsman, presumably;
any powers?
Gentleman Ghost (Flash #88; Hawkman foe).
Golden Mummy sect (Steranko; Hawkman foe) - powers?
Anton Hastor (Flash Comics #1; Hawkman foe) - scientist, astral projection
the Hood (Flash #19; Hawkman foe) - Pratt Palmer wears monk costume; uses
superscience - the "cold light" killing radiation gun.
Horsemen of the Sky (Flash #93; Hawkman foes) - bandits on flying horses.
Hot Shot (Big All-American #1; Hawkman foe) - feeds on and manipulates
massive amounts of heat.
Human Fly Bandits (Flash #100; Hawkman foe) - led by John Rotor, lab
assistant, who stole "gyrocar" and "gyrobelt" which allow him to
drive/run up walls, etc.
the Hummingbird (Flash #52; Hawkman foe) - blonde female ornithologist;
wing-suit; flight; magnesium flare-gun.
Karvak (Flash #14; Hawkman foe) - owns futuristic suit; has conjured up
Scorio, the Alligator God of Phoenicians to give him high-tech
weaponry - a disintegration-flame gun; has small army in Central
America.
Kogats (Flash #9; Hawkman foe) - evil ape-like telepathic undersea brutes
that live underneath New York City harbor.
Johnny Law (Flash #31; Hawkman foe) - crook with animated creations.
Lasso (Flash #85; Hawkman foe) - ruthless strangler.
Leader of the Assassin Cult at Alamut (Flash #6; Hawkman foe) - Assassins
analogue.
Mangar (Flash #28; Hawkman foe) - crooked scientist.
March, Danford (Flash #49; Hawkman foe) - electrified human dynamo.
Mazda the Great (All-Star Comics #3; Hawkman foe) - builds steam generator
within volcanic Mount Krakatao to harness its power for world domination;
commands "fire-ghosts" (actually men in asbestos suits).
the Monocle (Flash #64).
Nikaloff, Boris (Flash #7; Hawkman foe) - makes "plasma-flesh" sculptures
come to life.
Nyola (All-Star Comics #2; Hawkman foe) - Aztec priestess; magic spells.
Phantom Menace (Flash #91; Hawkman foe) - commits crimes with Dexium, a
compound that makes things invisible and intangible.
Pied Piper (Flash #59; Hawkman foe) - musical powers?
Plant Men (Flash #29; Hawkman foe) - plant-men, rooted, with
superstrength; orchid types with poison gas; live undersea; multiple
types.
Prof. Kitzoff (Flash #8; Hawkman foe) - has raygun that causes sunspots
that can control mankind's thoughts, manipulate emotions, etc.
Purple Pilgrim (Flash #86; Hawkman foe) - descendent of 17th century
criminal continuing family vendetta against all Sanderses,
including Shiera.
Radium (Flash #54; Hawkman foe) - steals radium; makes radium bullets.
Raven (Flash Wheaties Giveaway 1946; Hawkman foe) - flight; "Scavenger of
the Skies".
Satana (Flash #13; Hawkman foe) - Sara Descarl owns man-eating menagerie
of animals into which she has transplanted men's brains.
Simple Simon (Flash #53; Hawkman foe) - uses "simple" gimmicks to commit
crimes - a glass, a dime, etc.
Soro (Flash #96; Hawkman foe) - warlord of a race of power-hungry centaurs
who have been secluded in a dormant volcano for millennia; they kidnap
a group of the United States' greatest scientists with the intent of
using them "to invent weapons to terrorize the world.".
The Spoiler (Golden Age #1; Hawkman foe) - fifth columnist; death ray.
Thayer, Edward (Flash #15; Hawkman foe) - commands a disembodied hand.
Thought Terror (Flash #4; Hawkman foe) - hypnosis.
Trygg (All-Star Comics #1; Hawkman foe) - sorceror who learned the Haitian
secret of zombies.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

WHOA! Thanks for the list!

Knowing that Hummingbird & Lasso ARE historic Hawk-foes makes them even MORE cool for me!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome stuff Supes! I was going to say that they were both new villains too, as they definately have not been around since the Silver Age on. I think it's pretty kewl that their both Golden Age villains brought back to fight Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

Their also both pretty bad-ass! I know Lionmane is probably Hawkman's most classic Silver Age foe, but when did Fadeaway Man first appear?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, according to The Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe, Fadeaway Man made his debut in Detective Comics #479/2 (September-October 1978): "True Heroes Never Die...!"

Thanks for the list, superboymddjr-- I thought the following were worth some consideration.

Alexander the Great (Flash #2; Hawkman foe) - egghead in tuxedo; has a gravity-ray gun.

I wonder if he committed historic Alex the Great crimes? I'd be interested in an update, if so.

the Beanstalk (Flash #61; Hawkman foe) - powers?

C'mon-- The BEANSTALK!! Who could resist updating a villain called The Beanstalk?

Benjamin Brock (Flash #29; Hawkman foe) - criminal botanist that animates plant-men.

Hmmm... a tie in to Black Orchid or Poison Ivy? Or the LSH's various evil plant/tree men?

Dr. Barnes (Flash #94; Hawkman foe) - uses an molecular rearranger to project people into fabrics and then re-animate them.

What a cool gimmick. The name's comletely generic. The Tapestry? The Fabricator? There's certainly villains with lamer m.o.s running around in tights.

Father Time (Flash #33; Hawkman foe) - old man with poisoned scythe.

Sounds familiar... I wonder if he's been updated somewhere or other already?

the Foil (Flash #87; Hawkman foe) - wields a foil; swordsman, presumably; any powers?

Good name for a villain-- though the aluminum foil hats worn to ward off aliens is an unfortunate connotation that came to my mind.

Golden Mummy sect (Steranko; Hawkman foe) - powers?

A hero based on the idea of reincarnation dating back to Egypt has *gotta* have a mummy for a villain.

Horsemen of the Sky (Flash #93; Hawkman foes) - bandits on flying horses.

Interesting visual- at the least. Maybe a Western motif?

the Hummingbird (Flash #52; Hawkman foe) - blonde female ornithologist; wing-suit; flight; magnesium flare-gun.

The Hummingbird in the book now seems much closer to the edge of sanity than this little summary would suggest. I'm a little surprised her wings are artificial-- if they still are.

Karvak (Flash #14; Hawkman foe) - owns futuristic suit; has conjured up Scorio, the Alligator God of Phoenicians to give him high-tech
weaponry - a disintegration-flame gun; has small army in Central America.

The Phoenician connection would work for the historian Hawks. Why would an Alligator God have high-tech weapons, though?

Kogats (Flash #9; Hawkman foe) - evil ape-like telepathic undersea brutes that live underneath New York City harbor.

Must-be-updated-immediately!!! With a Flash/Aquaman/Gorilla City crossover!!!

Johnny Law (Flash #31; Hawkman foe) - crook with animated creations.

An evil Walt Disney? Could be fun--

Mazda the Great (All-Star Comics #3; Hawkman foe) - builds steam generator within volcanic Mount Krakatao to harness its power for world domination; commands "fire-ghosts" (actually men in asbestos suits).

Strike out the 'actually men in asbestos suits', and you could have a contender. He could get in a 'name war' with pseudoAlex.

Nikaloff, Boris (Flash #7; Hawkman foe)- makes "plasma-flesh" sculptures come to life.

I'm curious as to just what a 'plasma-flesh sculpture' might be.

The name and Aztec connection seem familiar. I'm pretty sure she's appeared outside of the GA.

Phantom Menace (Flash #91; Hawkman foe) - commits crimes with Dexium, a compound that makes things invisible and intangible.

Does George Lucas know about this? Could be a cool schtick.

Pied Piper (Flash #59; Hawkman foe) - musical powers?

As much as I like the current Piper, you'd think that I'd know he had a GA counterpart. But I didn't. I'm quite surprised he debuted as a Hawkman villain, rather than a Flash rogue.

Plant Men (Flash #29; Hawkman foe) - plant-men, rooted, with superstrength; orchid types with poison gas; live undersea; multiple types.

Link 'em up with Benjamen Brock and/or The Beanstalk and Kogats.

Prof. Kitzoff (Flash #8; Hawkman foe) - has raygun that causes sunspots that can control mankind's thoughts, manipulate emotions, etc.

Professor Kitz-off??!!! Hee-hee-- enforced nudity!

Purple Pilgrim (Flash #86; Hawkman foe) - descendent of 17th century criminal continuing family vendetta against all Sanderses, including Shiera.

The PURPLE PILGRIM!!!??? BWAHAHAHAHA! Make him come from San Francisco and have a thing for winged leather-men.

Raven (Flash Wheaties Giveaway 1946; Hawkman foe) - flight; "Scavenger of the Skies".

A possible Teen Titan connection?

Satana (Flash #13; Hawkman foe) - Sara Descarl owns man-eating menagerie of animals into which she has transplanted men's brains.

Ick-- creepy. I actually prefer the demented scientist chick to the pseudo-sorceress she appears to be currently.

Simple Simon (Flash #53; Hawkman foe) - uses "simple" gimmicks to commit crimes - a glass, a dime, etc.

Maybe too gimmicky, but SIMPLE SIMON appeals to me as a name for a villain.

Soro (Flash #96; Hawkman foe) - warlord of a race of power-hungry centaurs who have been secluded in a dormant volcano for millennia; they kidnap a group of the United States' greatest scientists with the intent of using them "to invent weapons to terrorize the world."

Wow. I think that sounds like a great character-- with Wonder Woman connections?

The Spoiler (Golden Age #1; Hawkman foe) - fifth columnist; death ray.

Maybe this guy's why Batman was so suspicious of Stephanie Brown?

Thayer, Edward (Flash #15; Hawkman foe) - commands a disembodied hand.

Unattached mobile body parts are always worth a look.

Thought Terror (Flash #4; Hawkman foe) - hypnosis.

All these riches and *this* guy gets updated?

Trygg (All-Star Comics #1; Hawkman foe) - sorceror who learned the Haitian secret of zombies.

Wasn't this the name of an Hourman villain? Oh, wait-- was that Trogg? Not into zombies, really-- but a zombie-creator might make a good foe.

We'll probably never see them, but I think the plant-related bloc, Dr. Barnes (THE FABRICATOR!),
KOGATS, MAZDA THE GREAT (Hmmm- now *he* sounds familiar-- has he appeared sometime in the last couple of decades?), the PHANTOM MENACE, the PURPLE PILGRIM, SATANA (CIRCEish), and SORO THE CENTAUR are update-worthy.

I'd certainly like to *see* them, at least.

[ May 31, 2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     

[ May 31, 2005, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Race of Centaurs in a dormant volcano? Yes, yes, yes!

Todd, you're thoughts on the villains are as entertaining to read as the villains themselves [Smile]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

The name and Aztec connection seem familiar. I'm pretty sure she's appeared outside of the GA.

IIRC, the Silver-Age Hawkman fought her (or someone very much like her) in Justice League of America shortly after he joined the team.

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'd bring back the Beanstalk with a pouchful of magic beans. Super-growing-beans, exploding-beans, boxing-glove beans... heh.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
the Hood (Flash #19; Hawkman foe) - Pratt Palmer wears monk costume; uses
superscience - the "cold light" killing radiation gun.

Pratt Palmer is no doubt related to Ray Palmer.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Nyola also appeared in All Star Squadron...just before #50 - a member of Monster Society of Evil, as I recalled.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Whoa! Big news from the Philly Wizard Convention! In September's HAWKMAN 44...

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

spoiler
space

GOLDEN EAGLE assumes the role of HAWKMAN!

Notice they say 'Golden Eagle', rather than Charley Parker... does Carter assume the role of Golden Eagle prior to #44?

Guess GE isn't as nefarious as I thought-- or is he?

Here's a link for more convention news:

http://www.newsarama.com/wwphilly05/DC/DCU/WWPhilDCU.htm

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

oh, CRAP!!!! They're setting him up to off him again!!!

--------------------

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.