Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Need A Legion Reference? Post Here (Page 36)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 67 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  65  66  67   
Author Topic: Need A Legion Reference? Post Here
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank for the scans. I just have one question.

Is the infamy surrounding Tyroc true?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
I was looking around for the status of Trom in the Legion-Prime's era. I didn't remember any reference to it in the actual WaK issues. I checked a Wiki listing for Jan Arrah and the WaK version was listed as "the sole survivor of a lost planet", referencing Action Comics #850. Can anyone verify this please?

Based on my 3Boot EL page here. Trom's fate was never discussed during the Wak years. I don't recall Shooter adding anything to Jan besides his stinky pet and his rebound girlfriend after the Trips disappeared.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Gar. I just had this idea percolating... if there were other Tromians with Jan's abilities in the Prime uni, the Prime Legion could get another transmuter, OR Brainy Prime could conceivably work out time travel from his exposure to the other Brainy's and they'd travel back to the present universe of E-P and train a Tromian to housesit SBP... [Hmmm?] That's why I was curious as to what the actual ACT #850 ref was...

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's Gym'll's Who's Who page -

Click for fullsize image

Notice he has four arms above. Just like in his first appearance -

Click for fullsize image

And to make life easy for me, here's the pages used to explain the name "Dr.Gym'll's Cultural Rarities."
Notice that Giffen always drew him with three arms -

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Thank for the scans. I just have one question.

Is the infamy surrounding Tyroc true?

I don't understand the question...but here are some resources -

Tyroc at Wikipedia

Tyroc at Major Spoilers

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
What I meant was, is it true that most of the people involved with creating Tyroc are embarrassed by him?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

According to LEGION COMPANION, Mike Grell was. Don't know what Cary Bates thinks about him.
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Well, according to the information, I fail to understand why the editors kept blocking the writers efforts to add black Legionnaires until they HAD to create Tyroc.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Many people want to believe that omission of black characters in American comics was something of an oversight, a sign of the times, or just reflective of the larger culture. It was deliberate choice during the 60's, when the Legion headlined Adventure Comics. DC editorial was afraid that comics with black characters would be pulled from the shelves of stores in parts of America, specifically in the South. That would have impacted sales. It was a very conscious racist business decision. Remember, this was the era in which some network affiliates refused to air Star Trek episodes because of an interracial kiss.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Was this the same era that I Spy came into existence?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Let's be clear on dates here:

Star Trek ran from 1966-69; I Spy from 1965-68.

Tyroc made his debut in 1976.

The comics industry, however, has always been behind the times in reflecting cultural changes. This is not the same as pop culture fads such as disco or kung fu movies, which have a way of creeping into comics much sooner. But significant social and political changes take longer. Well into the '70s, most super-hero teams still had only one token female, for example.

Tyroc was, in my opinion, an attempt to be "relevant" by creating a black character, but his creators and company probably had little idea how to actually go about creating such a character. They relied on popular stereotypes: the disco costume with chains, the angry young black attitude. It is probably because of these stereotypes that Tyroc became an embarrassment to DC and all but vanished from Legion stories after his first three appearances.

The third appearance, by the way, was an egregious example of bad taste. The cover of SUPERBOY # 222 shows Superboy and Ultra Boy flying with a manacled and gagged Tyroc--hardly an image conducive to race relations of the time.

Was the racism intentional? Perhaps, perhaps not. But it was a very real, ingrained aspect of American culture, and DC blunderingly made it worse in their misguided attempt to make it better.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Thank you all for the insight and the in-depth explanations.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Um, okay, moving on from that...

Does anyone have any scans of when the Legionnaires switched powers in Adventure Comics #361.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Nightcrawler
Founder

Notice the writer confused Phantom Girl with Duo Damsel. Or maybe the artist did?!?

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

[ August 20, 2009, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Thanx. Hmm, I wonder why they never thought to include Ultra Bouncing Boy in the "Different Body Types" museum exhibit.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

This topic comprises 67 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  65  66  67   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.