Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Winged gallery for Dawnstar and other humanoids (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Winged gallery for Dawnstar and other humanoids
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Edit, 7 September 2003: This thread will have occasional Dawnstar depictions, some from a moderately huge collection detailed below and still not yet put on line, along with other special portraits I run across. If you find or create one, please post it here! (Especially you, Dean!) "My sister" remains a frequent subject among fan artists.

Edit, 15 December 2003: A more generally "winged" gallery in the title, since Lightning Lad has posted some vivid renditions of Archangel from "Ultimate X-Men" 40. If you've found striking winged humanoids in your comics-related net.travels, share them here! And do check out my Yahoo! Group for many more winged wonders.

=====

Bruce Patterson, inker in the late '70s to early '80s for "LSH," also sells his original full-color drawings on eBay. Recent offerings have included Dream Girl and Mystique. Most are in watercolor wash and colored pencils.

These two renditions of Dawnstar were also placed up for auction. The one on the left is from a year ago, and I used it in creating a small Dawny avatar image (originally for Rob's board). You can click on it for a larger version.

The one on the right was offered this month, and I just bought it. When I have the art in hand and can provide a much larger scan, I'll post a link here and send the image to the various Legion Yahoo! Groups.

-  -

[ December 16, 2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Beautiful!

Thanks, Grey.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
And here's the larger view (288 KB) of the new Patterson art, as promised. She's more clearly joyous in this depiction, which wasn't as easy to see in her face in that smaller scan.

Patterson used inks and some colored pencil, with watercolors for larger areas of color, and with some type of oil-based paint splatter for the star effects. I fear that even with careful adjustment, the scan doesn't quite do it justice ...

[ September 13, 2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Both lovely, though I think I prefer the second (eyes closed). On the other one - I can just imagine Dawnstar's reaction to someone saying, "Smile for the camera" - don't think she'd be smiling! But since she is smiling, I'll just assume that she's greeting a friend.

How many Dawnstar pictures do you have, Grey? Just my ongoing curiosity in other peoples' collecting habits....

In the Archives #10, there is a picture of Shrinking Violet in a fringed uniform (submitted by a fan). I wonder if that was the inspiration for Dawnstar's costume?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

[Fat Cramer]
{[...] since she is smiling, I'll just assume that she's greeting a friend. }

That's what I imagined. She was portrayed as being truly loyal to her friends. It's just that she had a hard time finding them in the first place -- even in the Legion.

I prefer the second one, as well. It's more of a "candid" capturing a moment in space.

{ How many Dawnstar pictures do you have, Grey? Just my ongoing curiosity in other peoples' collecting habits ... }

Original art, along with the new one above?

~ Art for her page in "Who's Who in the DCU" (1985), by James Sherman -- soon to appear in the Legion Companion book from TwoMorrows
~ Page from "LSH" v2 n282 by Jim Janes, with Superboy and Phantom Girl on Bgztl
~ Page from "LSH" v3 n23 by Steve Lightle, with Element Lad and others
~ Production color key for cover of "LSH" v3 n54, with Ultra Boy and Wildfire in their new Giffen looks
~ Dawnstar, semi-nude, embracing Wildfire from behind, painting by SatyQ (Jerry Loomis)

Digital form? About 350 unique images, with about 70 of those from Dean Lee (Sketch Lad), and not counting cover or page scans.

{ In the Archives #10, there is a picture of Shrinking Violet in a fringed uniform (submitted by a fan). I wonder if that was the inspiration for Dawnstar's costume? }

If you're talking about the feature from "Adventure" 403, "Fashions from Fans," it probably was part of the inspiration. Many similarities exist, and in the Cockrum/Grell era, the DC staff was not averse to using fan suggestions.

I'd be surprised if Mike Grell didn't see that design -- spiffed up by a pro artist -- in planning Dawnstar. The larger framing, though, of her personality, powers, and heritage came from Grell. (Not her home planet -- that was Levitz.)

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Speaking -- six weeks later -- of Mike Grell, here's a watercolor he made of Dawnstar that was just auctioned on eBay. (It reached $100, more than I can handle these days *sigh*) Click on the illo for a larger version.

With his having conceived and first depicted the character, the differences from his original elements are notable: no fringe at the bottom of her neckline (which always struck me as overkill for his costuming effect), her headband going under her hair (not done in the books as published, but often by fan artists), and three crossed laces in front (thus not, ahem, spilling out, as with many artists).

-

[ September 29, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... I'd never seen this thread before! Glad it sorta re-emerged.

That's a great Grell Dawnstar. I love the watercolored effect.

I haven't drawn her for a while now.... I did, just recently, post sketches which included....BOUNTY!!!!!

[Eek!]

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

The Dan Jurgens cover art for "Tales of the Legion" 321, depicting Dawnstar in her first (and last) entirely solo cover, went to auction today on eBay.

It's great art, dramatic as all hell -- though it's a bit hellish to me, with her skin and wings being pierced by arrows. So I wouldn't frame it for my wall, anyway. When it goes from $99.95 to $305.00 in its first ten hours, foregoing it becomes easier *sigh squared*

[ September 08, 2003, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Wow! $305! This shows that there's quite an interest in her, out there!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Here's a sketch I did just now, just for this thread!
 -

[ September 08, 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: deanlegion ]

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
I really miss Dawnstar we were roomies ya know!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnrings
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saturnrings   Email saturnrings         Edit/Delete Post     
Wonderful renditions!
From: durham, nc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

The Jurgens cover art -- with inker Karl Kesel, by the way -- noted above has now reached $582 in bids, after 6 days and 16 bidders, with 1 day to go.

Yet it has not yet reached its "reserve," or minimum price at which it will be sold, which this seller is refusing to reveal before the auction ends. Most will disclose the reserve price privately if you ask them, to help avoid your wasting time on making a bid if you're not willing to go that high.

So it really doesn't have a "sale" yet, even at this interstellar price -- since nobody is legally bound to pay for it until the amount that's bid reaches the reserve.

Methinks this seller is getting a bit too greedy. Especially with the TalesLSH logo, price/CCA box, DC logo, and title all being glued directly onto the inked artboard. Not, as often was done with covers, placed on a separate acetate overlay. So the art can't be displayed by itself in a frame, even if one wanted to do so.

[ September 13, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Thanks to Dean for another casual (and beautiful, o'course) Dawny above ... though I don't really envision her with a hole in the knee of her jeans, frankly. She always seems a bit more style-conscious than that, even in her off hours.

On the other hand, the low-riders are easily imaginable. This sketch by Dean from four years ago, among my favorites, has her really dressing down on a desert planet ...

-

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Thanks for posting that picture of Dawny in the bikini, Grey. I was really interested in her with the cornrows for a while there....

I don't really know why, but I've been really experimenting with Dawny in denim. I actually think the tear in her jeans gave her MORE style...

I have a couple more recent sketches that I still need to scan. I'll get to them...

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.