Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Winged gallery for Dawnstar and other humanoids (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Winged gallery for Dawnstar and other humanoids
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Michael Rankins, a.k.a. SwanShadow, has several galleries of commissioned art on the comicartfans.com site.

This depiction by Robert Q. Atkins of Dawnstar (of the Legion) and Danielle Moonstar (of the New Mutants) was made a part of his "Common Elements" gallery, from their similar names and shared heritage. Rankins said that a "pairing of these two Native American warrior princesses had been on my list for some time."

-

Click for larger version

Rankins also writes perceptively about this artist and this piece in his blog:

Robert's characters reflect the angularity of many modern comics artists, but his line is disciplined and controlled, he doesn't overrender, and he employs naturalistic proportions in his female figures. All of which I admire.

I especially enjoy the faces of Robert's characters. Their features carry a remarkable sense of reality. Rather than idealized, iconic images, Robert draws people who look like folks you might actually know -- very unusual in comic art these days. [...]

Native American characters are underrepresented in superhero comics, as is true of ethnic characters in general. And, as is too often the case with other non-Anglo-Saxon characters, American Indians have historically been portrayed in comics in stereotypical ways. Both Dawnstar and Dani Moonstar, though, have been handled with dignity by their representive comics companies.

I only take exception, as to this last point for Dawnstar, with regard to the Legion's "TMK" era, but otherwise, I'd second his perceptions.

Any thoughts about Dani Moonstar as a Native American character, one that I've not yet encountered?

Edit: Arachne has started such a discussion thread about Dani.

[ June 18, 2005, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Grey, I just wanted to acknowledge the most recent additions to this thread. The Lightle Dawnstar was colored by Ray Villarosa. I've been privleged to have a couple drawings colored by him. I agree with you that he did a great job on that drawing.

That picture by Mitch Massey is very nice, too. So is that Atkins drawing.

As a Dawnstar fan, I totally appreciate the effort taken to find and post these images!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Dean. I only found the comicartfans.com site a few days ago, and it has several more fan-commissioned works showing Dawny. It also has an efficient search engine for finding other characters.
From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
*whistles* Wow!! That's frickin' awesome dude. Dani and Dawnstar -- funness. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Beautiful picture. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Steve, here are a couple of more new prints from Mitch Foust.

Dawn Warrior

Click for fullsize image

Midnight Guardian

Click for fullsize image

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. Those are amazing LL. Color me jealous. Er, impressed. Whatever. [Wink]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
[QB]Finished the story. It was interesting. A hint at Colossus being gay

If only he had been, LL...but he had to spoil it by having that fling with Zsaji in "Secret Wars 1" (or was it 2)?

Cockrum and Rubinstein drew a particularly hot Peter in X-MEN 153. In his human shirtless phase as a pirate in Kitty's story as told to Illyana, he looked hot!!!!

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Star Boy:
[QB] Well, here's the Simpsons Dawny I did a while ago... Not quite the iconic winged image you're looking for, I'm sure... [Wink]

Great drawing, SB, of a character from one artistic media to another (television)

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

LOVE DAWN WARRIOR!!!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Just gorgeous, Scott, that set from Mitch Foust. Especially his fine work on several layers of glistening feathers, both by dawn and moonlight.

Thanks for linking them in this thread! Steve Zink had sent them along to the Pteraphiles Group some months ago, but I had somehow set them aside in the rush of events.

Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Ooooh, just remembered that I found a sketch by Sonnie for one of the characters in the Legion 35C stories Grey - I'll try to get the scanner working (don't hold your breath!) and if not I'll photograph it for you. It's a beauty!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Fabulous, milady! I would love to see one of those Freetraders. (And to have the time to go back and read the last half of "Legion 35C" and all of "SUBs II" *sigh* ... perhaps soon.)
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Fan artist Ralph Ramil Mendoza participates at Vu's George Perez Website. He, along with many others, has contributed works using, or evoking, Perez's style. This scene with Dawnstar was posted last Winter ...

-

Click for larger version in new window

Ralph told me, "The drawing was a request by one George Perez fan. He wanted a post-apocalyptic future, with Marvel and DC heroes from different timelines caught in the middle. What interested me with this is that he wanted it to be focused mostly on Dawnstar. Since I love and miss that LOSH character so much, I volunteered at the chance."

Thanks to Ralph for a dramatic and unexpected scene! (I've invited him to LegionWorld, as well.)

Sketch Lad
Advisor

This is a terrific drawing. I love that Dawnstar is the....star... of the scene.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.