Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Winged gallery for Dawnstar and other humanoids (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Winged gallery for Dawnstar and other humanoids
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Dedman linked this in b/w in the Fanart thread.
Dawnstar Drawing so I colored it. [Big Grin]

-

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Guy Gilchrist (not sure what he's done in the past) is releasing a 40 page collection called "Your Angels Speak". You can find the interview with him at The Pulse. Here is one of the pages sampled in the article.

Click for fullsize image

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks to YK and LL for these recent additions!

YK, I can't seem to re-load the colored Dawnstar above -- the server is flaky, and the one time I saw it, Netscape blew up on me *sigh*. When I did see it, though ... her left foot seemed to be missing(?).

LL, the Al Rio work is exquisite and kinetic, and Gilchrist's angels have a quiet grace. I'll be ordering his new collection (he has another one already, 32 pages).

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Two Elfwood guided tours ...
Beyond fae and angels: Wings in realistic settings

You can see nearly 60 works of talented artists that show winged folk in realistic settings, in a well-designed "guided tour" format. These are from artists at Elfwood, the world's largest site for fantasy and SF art.

To begin either of my two Elfwood tours, just go to my "Awakening" story -- the last of the 30 stops on each tour -- and click on the links at the top of that page. A separate window opens (you'll need to have scripts working) with the following introduction. This is followed by a control panel with VCR-like buttons that will step you through the selections, each appearing in your main browser window.

Each tour stop has a brief description of the art and artist. You can post comments on a work at any stop before moving ahead with the next stop.

I hope you enjoy the tours!

§ § §

Winged folk are added to Elfwood every hour of every day. For pteraphiles (wing-lovers), this has always been a delight. Where, though, could we actually envision meeting many of them, apart from a mystical or otherworldly plane of existence?

I'd like to see some of these people in the world around me. (And, as you might, somehow be one of them, but that's another story!) Wings that could be a spark of quick travel and countless destinations in this realm of life that we inhabit. On humanoids very much like ourselves, making their lives interesting ... and ours, as well.

The beautifully winged people in this tour don't, to me, have to be either 'fae' or 'angels' -- even though the artists depicting them may have used those more general words to describe them. I see them as being my neighbors, or the ones I'd like to have, to make life more interesting.

Some of the subjects are nude, and some of the comments are long-ish ... but in both cases, the artworks warrant it {grin}

[Each of these two tours displays] 29 artworks and one illustrated story. I welcome your suggestions and comments! And my thanks go to all of these talented Elfwood artists.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Sent you an e-mail Grey. Don't delete it just because it doesn't say Yellow Kid [Big Grin] I use my Color-Guard@sbcglobal.net e-mail addy for most everything these days. I sent you the pic as an attachment just in case.

You're right about the foot. It just fades out in that beautiful b/w pic that Dedman linked up for us. That's a nice effect in black and white but a little more difficult to manage in color. I just went with what was there instead of trying to draw one in or manipulate it from somewhere else.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

A belated thanks to YK for the picture file. Also to High Priestess Viviane for speaking warmly of this thread in other threads.

And, upon looking over the thread again, to Star Boy of Oz for that Simpsons-ish Dawny -- I love it! -- and to anyone else I may have missed acknowledging.

Probability Pete was kind enough to post, in an MMB thread for my birthday today, a finished version of a dramatic creation by Orelinde. I'd seen its work-in-progress version a couple years ago in the Fanzing message forums.

-

Edit: Linked to new ImageShack copy -- click for larger version

[ January 07, 2006, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
That's really beautiful, I love her face, so angelic.

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
A bit odd, to my way of thinking, but he's got wings! Maybe he could join YK's Starhaven Oversight Watch.
 -

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The only thing I know about this artist is that his (her?) name is Blair and he/she does 'cartoony' figures.

-

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Well, that's an attractive look for her! Even a bit trendy to fit the (30)00s decade, with that midriff. June really is, as they sang in "Carousel," bustin' out all over {ahem!} [Wink] Thanks, Scott.
Lightning Lad
Founder

Anytime Steve. And here's another that I don't think was ever posted here. It is by Mitch Foust whose work I've only ever seen through his eBay sales. It has been a couple of years since I last saw any of his Legionnaires up for sale but I did manage to save out all that I found at one time.

-

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
It looks like her implants are begining to meld into one!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

*sigh* I'm glad to see Mitch Foust's Dawny again (it's been posted elsewhere, but not for a while).

Yet he really ought to cut back on the, er, size. I'd say that he's adding to the tossed-off shallow criticism many have made of Dawny, that she's nothing more than wings and a great bust.

Except for that Foust does this with every heroine of his that I've seen. Not as exaggerated as some do it, but still out of proportion. (Fan artists here haven't tended to do it.)

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

I never added this Steve Lightle creation to the gallery, and it's long overdue. This particular coloring take by Villa on Steve's drawing is, to me, the most compelling of several well-done efforts, back in the days of LegionPics.

(I was also reminded of it in that it's much closer to the proportions I see as working for Dawnstar's look, apropos of the comments above regarding Foust.)

I made a separate thumbnail. Click below for the 297 KB full version in a new window.

-

[ June 03, 2005, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

This watercolor rendition of a pensive Dawny by Mitch Massey is currently on sale for $100. Do click on this to see the larger version with its remarkable color tones.

Click for fullsize image

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.