Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Fast Facts! Ask Cobalt... (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  28  29  30   
Author Topic: LMB Fast Facts! Ask Cobalt...
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
Top fifteen (I was ranking, I think I may make this list, I did just nuke a guy)

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Jillikers-- does this mean it's time to reveal wether or not I still have the Living Retcon powers...?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Top 10 (or 15)?

Hm…I could probably do that.

I’ll let it be said right now though, that this is purely my own opinion. I’m by no means the end all/say all authority on this, although I do like to think I know the LMB inside and out better than any other living, dead or unborn soul. Here’s how I’d rank all of the LMB, past and present, in terms of sheer power.

First – We’re doing this in terms of raw power, not anything else. So things like super-smarts aren’t going to be counted, especially in light of how many would-be geniuses there are in the LMB. Also, things like craftiness and proficiency with their powers won’t come into play.

Second – I think I want to say something of my own regarding this issue. To me, the LMB has always been (at least partially—and a big part) a group of ‘Heroic Misfits’. They are super-heroes, with the same super-hero qualities that we know, but they are most definitely flawed through and through. Drinking, gambling, sex, etc. are a common theme. And so is screwing up on the job and with their powers. That’s part of the fun. I like to think that the LMB is a group of Samwise the Braves. A little bumbling, but you can rely on them. And Frodo would never got very far without Sam—and that is enough.

Making a character all powerful could be a waste if the character doesn’t have some sort of conflict regarding their powers. Some sort of flaw or character problem that they have to fight through (i.e. the Spectre needs a human host in DC).

And the other major thing is that its characters with more specific, less powerful powers that make the LMB as fun as it is. Just like the LSH and the X-Men, it’s the characters with cool niche powers that really prove how heroic they can be. In other words, Nightcrawler using his teleportation and Star Boy using his super-heavy powers help enrich their respective worlds, other than Mon-El and Phoenix going in and saving the day.

I had to say all that before I could continue [Smile]

With that in mind, here’s my top list of the most powerful LMBers:

1) LardLad- LardLad has always been (from day one) the LMB’s big gun, and in my mind, he will always be that. The very nature of the Lardforce, which is essentially ill-defined although loosely structured, ensures that it is the most powerful force in the universe, since it ties directly into how the universe itself works and maintains itself. Plus, Lardy is to the LMB what Superman of Earth-2 is to the DCU since he started the “Who Are You’ thread all those years ago. I see him like Johnny Quick sees Alan Scott in “the Golden Age”. He’s our big gun. Further, at the end of the LMB’s story, it will come down to LardLad vs. the entire LMB, and that in and of itself means that he has to be powerful enough to battle all of the LMB, including the next people on this list directly below him. So, he’s hands down the most powerful.

His very nature, including the hedonistic growth of the character and the inner struggle between his good and dark sides are part of what makes his story very Shakespearan and allows the character to move past being so powerful.

2) The LMBP Spectre – Once again, this can’t really be disputed. The LMBP Spectre in the DCU is the most powerful thing in that universe. The Spectre could eat the Marvel U like corndog if he wanted to. The Spirit of Vengeance has one true power: he can do anything. Thus, our very own LMBP Spectre has the same abilities. This is probably why we rarely use the character in our stories, although some of us (I think of Lucien and myself right now) love using her because of how the character has grown, from the dead retconned in Foodmaker Kid to encompassing Donna Troy and other characters to the current LMBP Spectre. The total confusion of the identity helps provide a way to get past the all-encompassing sheer power of the Spectre, and thankfully exists—the less people who actually understand the character, the better in that she isn’t overly used.

*)Lash Lad – I have this listed as a star, as I’m unsure of whether to include a number. Basically, we don’t know if Lash still has the retcon powers. And I’m going to slyly give him a way out of answering that if he doesn’t want to [Wink] . But, and that’s a big but, if he did still have them, he’d be number three. The powers of the Living Retcon can change reality/time/space/continuity/life. The can change anything and ensure was always like that. If Lash Lad and Cobalt Kid get in a fight and Lash still has the powers…*poof* no more Cobalt Kid, time fixes itself so that it kinda works. Does he still have ‘em? He’s about the only one I’d ever want to have ‘em… [Big Grin]

3)Lucien Lad Followed right after (logically) is Lucien Lad, for much of the same reasons. The Glamforce, as Bevis says above, is essentially a deus a machina (if we all had the spelling wrong) and can fix any situation. And the nostalgia force (in my mind) can really even be more powerful, which is why I immediately thought of it during the Infinite Crisis thing as a potential solution. Once again, reality can be altered, although this time in more limited ways, relating directly to nostalgia and glam (which, lets face it, 80% of us don’t get [Big Grin] ). The restrictions in that they directly reflect Bevis’s own definitions of these things are what make these powers so damn fun and interesting and often through most of us for a loop. It’s their greatest asset and their greatest flaw, a perfect dichotomy.

4)Magic-Users - I was going to list them all one by one in this top ten, but there’s really no point. The big three mages have always been used in such a way that they could do close to anything in the big cosmic sense, or they could be used to do smaller things in smaller missions. The main focus must always be on the fact that magic-users traditionally have two major weaknesses: they must study, prepare and gather materials for spells, and the also are very weak after using big spells and can’t keep cranking them out (those things essentially make magic-users interesting). Stu (Iron Rat) was our first magic-user, and his ever-changing animal forms add a further layer to this. Tempest (as well as High Priestess Viviane and Luna) also show off these massive talents, and her own history and family ties often prove to be her worst enemy, as well as a temper that I’m sure Terry shows off to show that her characters must always overcome their own human emotions. Pagan Lass is the last of the big three, and has her own limitations that relate directly to her goddess Bast and doing her will. Thus, all three have weaknesses and layers to their characters, which make them more interesting, and all three are immensely powerful.

On a smaller note, there have been other magic-users over the years (six years and a very common theme), but I wouldn’t put them at this level. To have a really powerful character, the real life poster themselves need the staying power to add depth and layers that give a deeper explanation.

5) Invisible Brainiac – What some people forget or don’t realize (if they haven’t read the tag teams) is that IB’s real power is to harness the immense and total power of light. He’s so strong, that it is a burden on him to reign his power in and control it, so he has to use artificial devices to do so, which is why his earlier days as an LMBer made us believe he had other power. Thus, he has the potential (and is working towards) to develop complete mastery over light, and all of the aspects of what that truly means. To be light essentially means you are immortal (and invulnerable), and can do things Flash, Green Lantern, Airwave, Sun Boy, and a whole plethora of others can do. Light is one of the strongest forces in the universe, and the notion that IB has to continually repress and control this power (his own very brilliant idea) understates what a potent force it is. This also introduces another interesting layer to the character’s powers (and the character himself), and just what, say, an Invisible Brainiac ten years in the future could do.

6) Dev-Em (also Engine Joe and the deceased Space Ranger) – I used to not be in this mindset, but I believe the powers of the Kryptonians and Daxamites really are this high on the list. Even over other incredible universe shaking powers as gravity, magnetism, etc. It took me to reread some Silver Age Superman stories, and even Superman of Earth-2 in Crisis to get a real sense of how strong these beings could be. I’m actually very glad there aren’t more of them in LMB lore. The total powers of Superman, including speed, strength and invulnerability that he possesses is the ultimate weapon against antagonists—but even more, the ultimate weapon against illogical enemies like entropy, dimensional barriers, etc. It took me a long time to think this way, but I believe that now.

On a smaller note, another LMBer to have this power is Kara. We (LMB tag authors) once wrote Harbinger to have the power, but I believe this has been altered in LMB lore. Engine Joe never really did anything in LMB missions/stories before. IMO, Space Ranger was the best portrayal of these powers, and was kinda of the Mon-El (power-wise) for the LMB.

Dev-Em’s powers are extremely tricky, as my above post on power changes will show—he might not even have the Daxamites anymore. He also posses full Durlan abilities, so the combination of the two by far makes him the front-runner here. However, if her were to only have the Durlan ones, I’d lower him on the list. With Space Ranger deceased and the others never having a long stay like the others here, this would make this category temporarily moot.

7) Abin Quank – Abin mind be shocked to here me say it, but he’s right here on the list [Big Grin] . The Green Lantern ring truly is that powerful, which is why I found it so amusing when I presented it to him. It is essentially the most powerful weapon in the universe and there is little it cannot do. Anyone curious should note that Abin and I have established it does not have a yellow weakness, although recent Green Lantern issues may give Abin room for thought on the fear/yellow angle, but essentially, the LMB Green Latnern has no known weaknesses, other than the limitations of his imagination, his willpower and full use of his brain.

Abin, like Lardy, is a true master story-teller however, and has always used posts in LMB tales to play up the fact that the very human-ness of Abin Quank (and all of us) makes us very flawed, despite our powers. The way Abin writes Abin, you might not realize how powerful the character is, because Chuck taps directly into what the LMB is—Heroic Misfits. But I’d put him here.

8)Varalent/Emerald Emperss – If the Emerald Empress were still alive, I might do this differently. But as it stands, I’d probably still keep Vee this high up on the list. Here’s why.

Vee’s power has always been defined as his ability to make things grown and shrink (including himself), making him very different from other size-changing heroes in comic book lore. The ability to alter matter in that type of way is an extremely powerful power. Some time ago, however, we saw some even further insight into how powerful Vee was, in the idea that he could focus his power so sharply that he could increase the size of small molecules in specific matter and fire them at some one. Essentially, he could create bursts of pure force, which is essentially molecules speedily growing in size. I thought about this for awhile, and have always meant to use this ability in a tag thread in a very DC Silver Age super-science sort of way. The way I see, Vee controls one of the fundamental elements of the universe, in the sense that he could alter matter and molecular stability into more explosive elements—which theoretically alter the very nature of the universe itself. Thus, if the world was about to be engulfed in a giant anti-matter hole, Vee’s power, with the write author using logic and bullshit to back it up, could explain how Vee’s power could increase or decrease the molecules (or both) into a more compact force, which could cause it to explode (a bomb-type weapon), implode (eliminate the threat) or some other crazy thing. The possibilities are there.

Now, add on the fact that Vee has just come into possession of the Emerald Eye, which is another all-powerful item, which is only limited by the constant struggle of the Eye versus its master. Perhaps Vee will in some way connect these two powers into something even more coherent and logical? Time will tell, but these are two very potent forces within Vee.

9) The House of Jectra – I usually include Crujectra and Crusader together, since the two are two sides of one very powerful concept and force. These psych powers, including telekinesis and telepathy especially, are some of the most fundamentally powerful forces in comics. One only has to look at Phoenix (which has been defined as these two forces to their most maximum ability) or the use of telepathy in the Marvel U in the last 25 years to see that. Telekinesis essentially becomes a force to move matter in all of its forms, and even more potent, telepathy becomes the ultimate weapon and defense against the mind. And the mind, almost always, is the one greatest weakness of any enemy, hero or villain. A quick look at the above mentioned heroes shows that each and everyone is susceptible to a mind attack, and can fall in that way. Should Crujectra enter the mind of the LMB Spectre and play up the destructive nature of the personalities there, she could essentially stop the Spirit of Vengeance. The mind is a very hard to defend weakness and a very potent way of shutting someone down. Cru knows this, and also understands that the mind is a much more complicated thing than the old 1960’s ‘shut his mind down’ type offense. It’s Cru’s understanding of the variety of ways telepathy can be used and stopped that makes it such an interesting power. Further, its basis, like Abin’s, is based on willpower, which always makes for an interesting conflict. I’d put that here on the list, above things like Ultra-powers, lightning, and other stuff, because an assault on the mind is a very dangerous weapon to possess.

10) Reboot – To be completely honest, I don’t fully understand Reboot’s abilities or Glitch’s (his weapon/ally for those who didn’t know). He’s explained to me before, and I fully welcome him to do so here. But he does have the ability to reboot himself in the fullest sense of the word, which makes him able to find ways to deal with almost any situation. At first, I thought his power seemed like another duex a machina, but he’s developed these powers more in depth and shown there are limits and weaknesses, which further reveal just how powerful his powers truly are. Needless to say, I think he would make the list right here.

Before we continue, some more thoughts
- Any one of these heroes could essentially beat the other, given the writer and the circumstances. I could easily explain in one paragraph why Cobalt Kid could beat each and everyone on this list in a clear, concise victory with the enemy defeated. That’s the way it goes, especially with powers that are completely and utterly imaginary.

- Any of these people on the list could be beaten by a group of heroes, depending on the writer and circumstances. Same as above, it’s the way it goes. Still, a really good writer would have to explain the hows and whys, and it would be interesting to see. Further, no battle can be fought without some emotional human involvement, making it much harder for Lardy to beat Loser Lad, say, than Lardy to beat Paste Pot Pete—essentially, he has a history and friendship with Lou.

Honorable Mentions
Ultra Matt – Matt, of course, has Ultra powers, which are Superman’s abilities, with the weakness that he can only use one at a time. This weakness, to me, gets him off this list, but makes him still one of the most powerful LMBers. Further, some LSH issues and topics have explored the full use of Ultra powers, in that they may be limited by Jo’s mimicking Superboy…that possible, they could extend to things like time travel and all sorts of other things. But that’s all theoretic at this point.

Cobalt Kid – I know just how powerful magnetism could be, which is why I picked it so long ago. I almost wanted to put myself on the list, but I see my powers as being more along the lines of 11th or 12th on the list. Magnetism is essentially one of the strongest forces in the universe, and is directly relating to gravity, the forces holding the universe together and the forces allowing molecules to bind themselves together. These are all things that magnetism, on its most potent level, could easily do. Although often associated with metal, the true definition and studies of magnetism reveal that all things have magnetic pulls and forces, and the polarity of other things, like water, could allow for magnetism to be used in a variety of other ways. The common comic book concept of magnetism is already pretty firm—one only needs to look at Magneto in the Marvel U to see that. It could truly be used to make tremendous cosmic and galactic progress in stories, if used right. Further, Cobalt Kid has the spiritual abilities he inherited in “Price of Security”—magically allowing him to heal almost any wound, as well as giving him a spiritual awareness that may or may not grow into his best defense against magic and cosmic entities.

Eryk Davis Ester – Eryk’s status in the LMB has always had him down among the lesser powerful members, but his acquiring of a Luck Lord under his control puts him well into this area of the countdown (er, or up). The Luck Lord can essentially do anything he wants it to, and usually does things for him that he never even thinks of, ensuring he has good luck. The very concept of this itself makes it interesting, as does the fact that its not always something people would have in mind. A very powerful, and even reliable ability, but one that has results that may not be obvious before using it.

Space Tart – Space Tart can pull critical objects out of people’s asses. Its essentially the most LMB of all duex a machinas, and one that often times will kill the person whose asses is getting stuff pulled out of it (say, if it’s a tractor or something). The limits on this, of course, is that you might not always get the thing you need, although sometimes, you can exactly what you need, like when Spacey pulled the universe out of someone’s ass. The limits of this power are entirely up to whoever is writing it. The very nature of the power made me put it here, although the argument is there for this power to be right under Lucien Lad’s. The reliability of it is something that needs to be more defined before I would do so.

Drake – If Drake has all the powers of Wildfire, he’d be in the top ten, hands down, above Dev-Em. But I’m unsure if he does, since he’s never really defined his powers or LMB character and we’ve never really used him. Mm…something to do in the future. But Wildfire’s powers are a whole different subject and I’m running out of time…needless to say, their quite powerful.

Faraway Lad – Far can send anyone far away, although he does not have the greatest control of doing so. However, the potential for sheer power is there to really move across space as easily as Far could want to do. Further, this means a direct correlation to time, something we’ve never even touched on in our stories. Could Far move through time? Possibly. We’ve also established that the Faraway Lad’s of various Earth’s are the only ones that can move across the multiple Earth’s—an ability unique only to them. That opens up a whole new series of questions and possibilities of the very nature of Far’s power, and how it can be used to navigate space/time/reality (and send people across these things).

Wow, I write a lot [Wink]

[ November 09, 2005, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
10) Reboot – To be completely honest, I don’t fully understand Reboot’s abilities or Glitch’s (his weapon/ally for those who didn’t know). He’s explained to me before, and I fully welcome him to do so here. But he does have the ability to reboot himself in the fullest sense of the word, which makes him able to find ways to deal with almost any situation. At first, I thought his power seemed like another duex a machina, but he’s developed these powers more in depth and shown there are limits and weaknesses, which further reveal just how powerful his powers truly are. Needless to say, I think he would make the list right here.

This is what happens when you're not a simple flying brick or Deus Ex Machina, huh? [Smile] (I don't care if it's the right spelling, that's how I spell it [Razz] )

1) Rebooting - altering the form of myself and/or others, one at a time. This can be shapeshifting and/or to invisiblity/intangibility, but not to completely inert (i.e., non-living) matter.
2) Energy sponge - I soak up energy, mostly to power various gadgets I carry. If I charge/discharge too quickly, it tires me out, and if I overcharge, Bad Things Happen since I go screwball while my power level jumps enormously, and do things like Rebooting a bunch of insects into an army of Daleks [Smile]
3) 10th level intelligence - mostly used to create gadgets, of which the foremost two are my trusty forcefield and teleporter [Smile] . I also have various specific gadgets like the one I used to kill a load of Cobalt clones and depower the original [Smile] .

Glitch - sentient keytool, which communicates with me telepathically, which is heard by everyone else as whirrs and clicks. It can either turn into an on-the-fly gadget (e.g., communicator, zip/hover board, blaster) or maintain a pre-existing gadget while I'm distracted by something else.

Got it now? [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
This is what happens when you're not a simple flying brick or Deus Ex Machina, huh? [Smile] (I don't care if it's the right spelling, that's how I spell it [Razz] )

And you've spelled it right!

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks 'Boot [Wink]

Given the altering the form of others (altering living matter) and soaking up energy, the combination of the two does ring true of being able to reboot things. Further, I would keep you on the list where you are, given your powers and limitations.

Thanks!

One other thing: if anyone thinks I'm missing a mega powerful LMBer, by all means tell me!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
Yay, I made the list!!

--------------------

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Des, I'm really flattered that you put Lardy at the top of your list. I wasn't necessarily expecting that!

I guess one thing you based his placement on was that I've stated the only limit to his power is Lardy's imagination. It's also been stated that he's definitely the most powerful of all the Lard Knights. It's even been said that no other comes close. As I develop Lard Lass, I hope to show how she compares as possibly the secondmost powerful.

I also don't really see his power as deus ex machina. Lardy's never created from nothing something like the Ultimate Nullifier, for example. What he does do is access an extradimensional energy that seems attracted to some beings who are either obese or have some other connection to fat cells. Maybe their parents were obese, or in Lard Lass's case, her mom specialized in liposuction in a plastic sugery office. The easiest way to wield the power is to manipulate fat cells. But the most adept users can channel the energy to rise well above that limitation. Lardy can teleport, create force fields and fire energy blasts (among other uses) which have nothing to do with manipulating fat cells.

But Lardy is also potentially the weakest of all LMBers because of some debilitating character flaws: He's a drunk. He's a whoremonger. And he's shut down the part of himself that allows him to love or even show any emotional pain. When he does show intense emotion, it usually takes the form of a violent rage. Those first two things recently bit him in the ass when he got his powers stolen a while back. The magic 8-ball says he'll eventually get them back, but it also says that doing so will probably cost him again.

So Cobalt, you hit the nail on the head. Seemingly all-powerful foes are much more interesting when they have powerful flaws to go with them. And as you hinted, Lardy's flaws will really cost the LMB in the future.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Further, at the end of the LMB’s story, it will come down to LardLad vs. the entire LMB, and that in and of itself means that he has to be powerful enough to battle all of the LMB, including the next people on this list directly below him. So, he’s hands down the most powerful.

So do you think "Reign of the Dark Lard" is/will be the last LMB story? Or do you just mean it's the last known story chronologically to be told with nothing scheduled at this time to happen after it? There are times that I thought it could be the former, but I've leaned toward the latter. Certainly, I've never planned for all the LMB to be killed off in the story. But the outcome of it all could be a trigger to bring the LMB down.

Or...hell, I'm not even close to writing the thing yet! So it's rather pointless to get in a deep tirade about it. And even if my writing output wasn't cosmically slow, I would keep finding other ways to put it off! I mean, it's a daunting thing to even think about writing the definitive climax of a character I've put a lot into. And then there's the fear that it'll be a real letdown to you or anyone else who might be wanting to read it. Damn!

I'm not sure what I'll write after "Turning Point". I'll probably think of something else to put "Reign" off! Maybe "White Twilight". Funny thing is, when I came up with the basic outline for "Reign" (and yes, I've always known most of the bullet points of what happens in it), I knew almost immediately another story I wanted to write that took pace about 20 years after it! Oh my aching head.....

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Oh! And by the way, just how did Space Ranger and Emerald Empress die? I missed those...was that part of our version of Infinite Crisis? (missed that too) Did I glance somewhere that Faraway died, too? (I'm guessing that was overturned since he's not listed as deceased in the list)

Anyone else of note die recently? If so, who and how?

--------------------

Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LARDLAD:
So do you think "Reign of the Dark Lard" is/will be the last LMB story? Or do you just mean it's the last known story chronologically to be told with nothing scheduled at this time to happen after it? There are times that I thought it could be the former, but I've leaned toward the latter. Certainly, I've never planned for all the LMB to be killed off in the story. But the outcome of it all could be a trigger to bring the LMB down.

It could be the last story of the LMBP 'proper' but with my own One Vision I've put in references to at least some stories happening a little later down the line with Lucien Lad and the Time Mouse Trapper (kind of going on the assumption that TTMT *is* Lash) so at the very least those two survive. Of course if we go off Cobie's most powerful list (I made the top 3! Yay!) it could well be that in the final climactic battle Lucien Lad and Lash were both transformed into their states that we see them at the start of The Rise and Fall of Lucien Lad. Lucien Lad mentions in the first part fo that that he didn't find out who he was until after the Universal Wars and the final collapse of the LMBP. It could easily be that those Universal Wars were actually the same events as 'Reign of Dark Lard', or maybe there was a second generation of the LMBP with the few remaining members (Lucien Lad, Lash and maybe a couple of others?) and he's referring to *their* collapse. The fact that they're talking at the very end of the multiverse means that they're incredibly far in the future and who's to say that there weren't more than one LMBPs? There are a few LMBPers who could potentially be immortal to one extent or another (Lucien Lad certainly is even if he's transformed into a different state, possibly Lash if he is TTMT and/or has the Living Retcon powers, IB as Cobie pointed out, the magic users possibly as well) and if that's so they could be responsible for forming new LMBPs far in the future of the current team.

All that being said I do like the idea that there is a 'final' LMBP story, one that ends with the end of the team. Something dark but with a possibility of hope coming through.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

quote:
3)Lucien Lad Followed right after (logically) is Lucien Lad, for much of the same reasons. The Glamforce, as Bevis says above, is essentially a deus a machina (if we all had the spelling wrong) and can fix any situation. And the nostalgia force (in my mind) can really even be more powerful, which is why I immediately thought of it during the Infinite Crisis thing as a potential solution. Once again, reality can be altered, although this time in more limited ways, relating directly to nostalgia and glam (which, lets face it, 80% of us don't get [Big Grin] ). The restrictions in that they directly reflect Bevis's own definitions of these things are what make these powers so damn fun and interesting and often through most of us for a loop. It's their greatest asset and their greatest flaw, a perfect dichotomy.

To my mind the Glam Force, while being pretty much anything it needs to be, isn't really that huge a power. The Brads are infinite and the Palace could be a useful story device (it can be an interdimensional portal after all) but in and of itself it doesn't really have any great force other than to keep Lucien Lad pretty much immortal and to lend him a certain degree of superstrength/speed/etc. With just the Glam Force as his power Lucien Lad would be way down the list. He'd be fabulous but he'd be the equivalent of... ooh, Jubilee or someone like that. Pretty power but not really that versatile. As you dsay though it's the nostalgia power that's the big one. I don't think it's ever been fully defined, but again as you say the flaw with it (and possibly the strength) is that the reality that Lucien Lad can remember and can recreate is influenced entirely by his own view of it. lucien Lad is, to put it mildly, a little self obsessed and sees everyone through a rather distored mirror in a way. His nostalgia powers don't automatically make things as they actually were but how he thinks they *should* be. It's not quite a Living Retcon power where he can change anything, but it does mean that he can change reality into something that it wasn't before. So far I don't think we've ever really seen his nostalgia powers in a very controlled way. it's either been a bit random (like the Christmas incident) or almost by accident (I think during the whole Lash Tot/Funny animals LMBP stories he kind of automatically reset himself to how he was before without actually affecting the others around him). Of course if he were to fully harnes those powers and understand that it's his perceptions, his world view, that take shape then it could be verging on Living Retcon levels of power. I don't know if I'd ever want to take him that far though (at least not while he's still part of the LMBP) but the potential is there.

And finally there's the whole Gay-lipso powers thing as well. Ok so they were hugely undefined during Crisis and aren't really very like the DC Eclipso powers (he's not affected by sunlight for example) but they are at least to some degree a level of magic use. Almost a step down version of the Spectre's power. Now it could of course be that he was in some way channeling the LMBP Spectre (for her own reasons) and I'm not sure whether his ability to hold reality together was a combination of his nostalgia powers and his Gay-lipso powers but that would make sense (since he had to be Gay-lipso and there had to be two of him to hold reality together). I think he's going to set aside his Gay-lipso powers now though, although there's always the chance that he might take them up again in the future if they're needed.

--------------------

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Oooh oooh oooh, two new questions.

First is, Ok we've had the list of the most powerful LMBPers, how about the list of the most powerful LMBP villains (either including LMBPers gone bad or not as the case may be).

And secondly the LMBp has had a fair few 'celebrity' guest stars over the years (Cher, Elvis, Catherine the Great, Frankie Muniz etc) but who are the most important ones, and were any of them *actually* the real celebs (I'm pretty sure Cher was but I'm not sure about any of the others).

--------------------

Tempest
Enchantress

quote:
Originally posted by LARDLAD:

But Lardy is also potentially the weakest of all LMBers because of some debilitating character flaws: He's a drunk. He's a whoremonger. And he's shut down the part of himself that allows him to love or even show any emotional pain. When he does show intense emotion, it usually takes the form of a violent rage. Those first two things recently bit him in the ass when he got his powers stolen a while back. The magic 8-ball says he'll eventually get them back, but it also says that doing so will probably cost him again.

My main problem must be that I can be one cranky bitch!

Hey, it's not my fault, school and work suck monkey-bobo!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Lardy, I’m glad you enjoyed my view of LardLad and his powers and personality, and how the two create such strengths and flaws of his character.

Bevis, I also agree that it’s the nostalgia powers that are the most powerful in Lucien Lad’s character, which potentially can be the powers of the Living Retcon, albeit, it would change things and people would remember, so it wouldn’t necessarily be a ‘retcon’. And the flaw of the powers is what really makes them interesting, and what really makes them more ‘LMB’ than anything else. I’ve always seen them as one of the ‘ultimate tag team weapons’ that a Tag author could use in explaining away posts that drive a tag team story into the ground [Wink]

Now, I have a question for you though: to be honest, I kind of got burnt out on LMB Infinite Crisis and couldn’t quite keep up with the end. I’m going to reread the whole thing eventually and sort it out, but you can help me regarding Gay-Lipso. Did Lucien Lad and Gay-Lipso (Earth-4 Glamour Puss) remain two people in one essence? Did Lucien Lad keep the Gay-Lipso powers? From your post, I can see we’re already sorting out exactly how to define them.

Terry, I’ve always thought that the temper of your various characters (more Viviane and Luna than others) was a way of humanizing what appears to be an aloof god-like powerful figure, and thus gives them what is potentially their greatest flaw and weakness. It’s always been an interesting conundrum.

I’ll get to all the big questions shortly and I think I’m going to answer a question of my own that I recently was wondering: what is the entire, exact list of dead LMBers? It’s more than you think…

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  28  29  30   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.