Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » STARSEARCHERS Discussion Thread (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  43  44  45   
Author Topic: STARSEARCHERS Discussion Thread
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
re: a comment over on Drunk Duck... I loved the "Guardians of the Galaxy" meets "Legion of Super-Heroes" statement. Quite a compliment, I thought!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
To Do List:
*complete back cover content for issue 2.
*scan character drawings by design consultant, JL
*scan and post sneek peek artwork for #3
*complete cover art for #3
*finish pencils on last page of #3 (all the rest of the pencils are DONE!)
*scan, color & letter #3 in appropriate blocks
*try not to give away fun surprise too soon!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Wow-- looks like # 3 will be coming at a rapid pace, excellent!

I'll finish # 5's script this weekend!

Fun surprise??? I'm dyin' to know over here...!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Curse my computer! [Mad]

Here I was, all ready to dive in to a universe of bright-colored space opera fun, and my blasted computer can't load Starsearchers!

I'll have to get to the library on Tuesday and read it there.

Will defintely comment once I've read it.

But to quote Tom Petty, the waiting is the hardest part.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Shoot! I am thoroughly looking forward to your review and I trust you to be honest.

Meanwhile, I can dive into BOOK OF TALOK today! [Smile]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wonderful! Thanks, Lash. I, too, look forward to finding out what you think of my work.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Okay, script for # 5 is DONE. Just gotta proofread and e-mail it.

It is QUITE the slugfest!!!

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

It's Tuesday!

Will read Starsearchers at the library this evening, make notes as I'm reading, and post my review tomorrow morning.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yay! I'm excited and also kinda nervous!

--------------------

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
To Do List:
*complete back cover content for issue 2.

I've decided to pass on this step. Moving on to #3....
quote:
*scan character drawings by design consultant, JL
working on that today!
quote:
*scan and post sneek peek artwork for #3
*complete cover art for #3

also working on that today
quote:
*finish pencils on last page of #3 (all the rest of the pencils are DONE!)
probably won't worry about this til I get to that page
quote:
*scan, color & letter #3 in appropriate blocks
just like normal!
quote:
*try not to give away fun surprise too soon!

It's a fun surprise, but nothing earth shattering. I'll find the perfect moment to spring it!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Okay. Random thoughts from the notes I took:

It reminds me of a lot of favorite sci-fi comics and TV shows and movies, especially Dreadstar, but it's got its own unique identity.

Lash, you have an Engelhart-ian flair for writing strong female characters.

Dean, excellent art all around; your eye for color is exquisite.

Overthink is a classic archetype in the same mold as the Dox family line.

I like the way that the cutest characters -- Iritt, K'zle -- are also the toughest.

Iritt has what I thought was the funniest line, "I was more a royal pain."

Love Johnny Comet's Gim-esque headgear.

More Vamp, please. Much more.

More Goddess Starlette, too.

Love when Bluu insists everybody be well-dressed.

I have 2 big crushes: Drey Danger (please don't ever cut off his beautiful long locks), and Ronar Shalb (bless his noble redemption-seeking soul.)

Plenty of LOL moments, especially Iritt's aforementioned line, and of course...slimebat poo!

At the same time, you can shift the tone very smoothly, like Alan Grant did on L.E.G.I.O.N. The fate of K'zle's friend brought a tear to my eye.

The secondary villains are memorable, especially Commander Esmerelda.

Which brings me to my one criticism -- Omarr is a bit buffoonish for someone's who's supposed to be the series' Big Bad. Even his most vicious moment is played for laughs. Of course, it's all too easy to go too far the other way, but I'm sure you guys will get the balance right.

Eagerly awaiting issue #3.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Stealthie (I'm just not ready to stop calling you that yet, give me time) THANK YOU for the detailed notes! You've made my morning as I work on the script for issue 6.

I'll touch on some things in order--

I'll cop to Overthink being this team's Dox. And he's a helluvva hoot to write! Wait 'til you see what he does in # 3!!

Vamp-- there's a major reveal (done in 1 panel) about her coming in issue 4, then she kicks some serious space-ass in issue 5. She WILL be getting a spotlight.

Starlette-- More coming!

You like Drey and Ronar? Wait 'til you see them square off against Omarr's assassins... those crushes are well-deserved. [Smile] Issues 4-5!

Hmmm... Renee Esmerelda is actually a Starsearchers plant, which will be clearer in coming issues...

Now, your criticism re: Omarr actually brought a BIG SMILE to my face. Why? Well, I've told Dean to make Omarr's scenes (verbatim, iirc): "totally over the top".
*JUST BEFORE* reading your post, I was writing a scene in # 6 that will I hope make Omarr's general ridiculousness/ridonkulousness make more sense... there's an old cliche about "behind every great man stands a great..." something, I went blank... [Smile] #6 makes it quite clear who the TRUE power is!

I totally appreciate you taking the time to read Starsearchers and make these comments! [Hug]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

You're very welcome, Lash.

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Now, your criticism re: Omarr actually brought a BIG SMILE to my face. Why? Well, I've told Dean to make Omarr's scenes (verbatim, iirc): "totally over the top".
*JUST BEFORE* reading your post, I was writing a scene in # 6 that will I hope make Omarr's general ridiculousness/ridonkulousness make more sense... there's an old cliche about "behind every great man stands a great..." something, I went blank... [Smile] #6 makes it quite clear who the TRUE power is!

Aha. Very sly. I do recall a hint or two being dropped about that, now.

Lash, I'm curious -- other than the various incarnations of the Legion, are there other direct influences on your Starsearchers stories? I mentioned before that I perceived some similarities to Dreadstar. Did you ever read that? If you haven't, I think you'd like it.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Non Legion-proper influences would be L.E.G.I.O.N., Omega Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Hunters and Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space.

I never read DREADSTAR, but I DID read the DREADSTAR thread and have wanted to read it ever since! [Smile]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Aww, bless your heart, Lash. [Smile]

I think Dynamite is beginning a series of trade reprints of the Dreadstar saga.

L.E.G.I.O.N., of course, is a favorite of mine.

I've only read the first 12 issues of Omega Men. The opening 6-part arc was a classic, but after that it seemed to meander. Someday, if I find reasonably priced back issues, I'll check out the New Direction (starts with #26, right?)

Loved Steve Gerber's Guardians of the Galaxy, plus their Gerber-written appearances in Marvel-Two-In-One and the Defenders.

And I remember Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space! What fun that was!

I've seen so many cartoons (Ecuadorian TV in the 80s had a lot of airtime to fill) that I even remember Partridge Family 5700 A.D. or whatever it was called!

--------------------

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  43  44  45   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.