Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
wesconnorsehny
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
I liked Polar boys spikey hair too -- way before his time... a real trend setter...

I didn't like the Subs as comic relief. I thought those comics were silly & were more "laugh at them" than "with them." Ambush Bug was good on his own, however.

The Subs would come in and "save the day" when the Legion was failing to save the universe. At least that's the way I remember them as being used, like a reserve group. When they proved themselves, they decided not to join the Legion.

Later, they began to join & it was "established" somewhere that they all would join the group. I think that they all had joined by the 5 year gap. I didn't like the 5 year gap Legion. The "comic" Subs or the 5 year gap -- didn't like either.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm another one who didn't like the Subs Special or DCCP. It's all very well to use established characters in "comedy" stories - but Giffen's comedy comics (these, AMbuish Bug and his JLI) aren't funny. At all! They're just not.

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrRayPalmer
unregistered

I liked the Giffen Subs stories, but I was always able to sort of think of them as outside continuity or just funny little stories meant to entertain, and I don't think they diminished my appreciation of the characters. I was really happy when Polar Boy joined the Legion because I thought he was an interesting character with a lot of potential, and always wished we'd seen more of him.

I thought his icicle hair was kind of interesting and cool, too.

DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Another Legionnaire who had/has a boring costume is Chameleon Boy

Am I the only fan who realizes Cham is NAKED and what we consider his "costume" is just his malleable epidermis?

By the way, Steve, there's a post in the GoogleFight! thread you might be interested in, pertaining to total hits for your name versus Dave Cockrum's.

SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Googlefight? What's a googlefight?

We don't have to wrestle in mud or chocolate syrup, do we? I don't know about Dave, but I've decided not to do that anymore. : )

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by DrRayPalmer:
I thought his icicle hair was kind of interesting and cool, too.

Polar Boy having "cool" hair. Heheheheh...

I'm sorry. I just thought that was funny.

wesconnorsehny
unregistered

I had a over the alternate spelling of Giffen. Keith would probably like the literary reference!

"Cool up with that hair, Polar Boy!"

DrRayPalmer
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jafabian:
Polar Boy having "cool" hair. Heheheheh...

I'm sorry. I just thought that was funny.

Yeah, I noticed that after I wrote it but before I hit the "submit reply" button, and thought about changing it, but then decided I would just go with it. Maybe PB has developed a bit of telepathy and beamed that choice of words into my head without my knowing it. ;-)

jafabian
unregistered

Steve, did you hear about the comments Quesada made about Dave on his website? There's quite a thread going on about this!
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Dave Cockrum is a good artist who has served this industry incredibly well. Both Marvel and DC Comics owe him a great debt for his innovative work on Legion & X-Men.

But, saying that, I've only stated what every knowledgeable comic fan already knows.

As a comic fan and artist, all I can really say to Mr. Cockrum is a sincere ... thanks.

Steve Lightle

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

Steve,

When you and Paul created the Sensor Girl mystery, (a great concept!) did you both know from the beginning who her identity would be, or did it develope over time?

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jafabian:
Steve,

When you and Paul created the Sensor Girl mystery, (a great concept!) did you both know from the beginning who her identity would be, or did it develope over time?

jafabian, I realize this thread has grown a lot since then, but the Sensor Girl story is how Steve started this thread.
Check out page 1.

BTW, I write this with neither sarcasm nor ill will. I know how easy it is to seem like a jerk on these boards.[Wink]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

That's cool. It was really a cheap way to do bump anyhow.
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Random Steve question (unless someone else knows):

Did you design Comet Queen? (or any of the other characters featured in that Legion recruitment issue guest starring Dev-Em)

------------------
"GL : Animated" and others
Hal Jordan - Green Lantern (artwork)

Hey you -- Go read "The Legion" (starring WILDFIRE!)
--- Some Legion art

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Random Steve question (unless someone else knows):

Did you design Comet Queen? (or any of the other characters featured in that Legion recruitment issue guest starring Dev-Em)

Comet Queen predates Steve's tenure on the Legion. I take it she's a Giffen design. If you check out some of the early pages of this thread, you'll see discussion of some of the characters that Steve did create from the issue in question, though!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.