Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm pretty sure that Laurel Kent predates Giffen too, although I think he first gave her that red poncho for a costume. Did James Sherman first draw this character? I'm not absolutely certain.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So Steve,

How's the Umbra issue coming? Still no previews? Do you get to draw other Legionnaires in the story, or is it completely an Umbra solo?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
<< Random Steve question (unless someone else knows):
Did you design Comet Queen? (or any of the other characters featured in that Legion recruitment issue guest starring Dev-Em)>>

I vaguely recall Giffen telling me that he got the Comet Queen design from a fan submission, but I may be wrong. as for the other recruits, although I don't have the issue in front of me, I'm pretty certain that I designed all of them ... except Polar Boy, Power Boy and Comet Queen. I certainly designed all the characters who made their first appearance in that issue (Tiger Girl, Energy Boy, Quislet, Mentalla, etc.). Of course everyone knows that I also designed Tellus, even though he had a one panel appearance prior to this issue.

Steve

wesconnorsehny
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
I think Laurel Kent was by Jim Shooter & Mike Grell.

"Future Shock For Superboy!"

She was shockingly underdressed.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
What was she wearing in her early appearances though? The red poncho or that bizarre fig leaf bikini thing?

And it's a bit cheeky of Giffen to have used a fan design for Comet Queen and not given them any credit! If CQ was based on a fan design though wouldn't we know about it? Legion fandom though slightly rabid isn't that enormous is it? I mean the older fans know what fans designed the costumes for Night Girl, Light Lass, Saturn Girl etc don't they?

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

Here's a better question: how much say does the penciller have in who the inker and/or colorist is? I would think they should have a big say since they'll be going over the pencillers work.
DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by wesconnorsehny:
I think Laurel Kent was ... shockingly underdressed.

Like heck! Think about it, she's been invulnerable all her life and thus never felt heat or cold in an way that gave her discomfort. And she lives in a poly-species culture where many of the races either go nude or couldn't care less about human nuidty.

So... the black g-string is mostly a token to traditional feminine garb. The red poncho shows her pride in her lineage and also acts as a modest garment when dealing with other humans.

------------------
From BUFFY:
Vampire: Cmon, isnt this insane? I was afraid to talk to you in high school and now were like mortal enemies! Hey, wouldnt it be cool if we became nemeses?
Buffy: Is that how you say the word?
Vampire: Were going to have to fight to the death, arent we?
Buffy: Its a time honored custom.
Vampire: Wow. Reality just shows up sometimes, doesnt it?

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
BUMP

------------------
SAVE FARSCAPE. Sign the Petition NOW

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

Personally, I had no problem with how Lauren was dressed! [Smile]
wesconnorsehny
unregistered

I thought Laurel looked fine shockingly underdressed in "Future Shock For Superboy." That was the shock, for me, seeing so much of her. I could hardly pay attention to the story! I had to read it several times, actually, to really get the "shock" (that she was a descendant of Superboy & Lois Lane). I was much more shocked at her attire.

She still looks the best in that unforgettable first appearance -- "Future Shock For Superboy."

wesconnorsehny
unregistered

...check out Laurel's attire in SUPERBOY #217...

***** Superboy 6/76 (3- C) .30
#217 starring The LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (Grell) B-2794
CS 1. "The Charge Of The Doomed Legionnaires" B 2700
(Shooter/Grell) --11p
2. "Future Shock For Superboy" B-2743(Shooter/Grell) --6p
super talk --1p B-2795
M-223 Khunds app. 1st Laurel Kent. 1st bar coded issue. LoC has circulation figures. L-152 MB

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Get back to the top!

BUMP!

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVijohn
unregistered

wouldn't damph! be more appropiate!
Somebody
Banner-Man

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somebody   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
damph [Biggrin]

------------------
SAVE FARSCAPE PETITION
Farscape World, Scaper.com, SaveFarscape.net, Save Farscape Central, SaveFarscape.com

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends..." Gandalf the Grey, Lord of the Rings Book I, Chapter 2

"A person is smart, people are dumb, panicky, stupid animals and you know it" K, MIB

The Cat: "We don't run, we strike! It's the last thing they'll be expecting"

Rimmer: "No, the last thing they'll be expecting is for us to turn into ice-skating mongooses and dance the Bolero." - Red Dwarf VI

The Hunger site, The Rainforests site, Guardian.
24 000 people die every day from hunger alone. Read, and Think a little.

jafabian
unregistered

If they don't keep Steve on Legion I'd love to see him to an Atom book.
  This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are & material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the fair use review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.