Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm, I'm beginning to understand Shady's objection to a particular version of Nura. It sounds like the current Nura has a lot to offer.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Quislet said:
<< I am anxiously awaiting the continuation of my origin >>

Sorry to keep you waiting, dude.

Here's an excerpt from last nights live Legion chat. We did touch on the subject.

<< Lightles: Tellus and Quislet were my attempt to create truly alien Legionnaires
Lightles: Lots of people resisted the idea of non humanoids
Lightles: They believed that readers wouldn't be capable of relating
Mxy2001: the comic book biz should adopt theatre logic ... never underestimate the intelligence your audience!.
BungleHex: Well... its not so wrong, in general sci-fi fans are conditioned to dislike non humanoids
Lightles: One thing that bothered me was that after I left the book ...
Lightles: they did a story revealing Quislet to be an energy being
Lightles: That was never my intention when I created him
Mxy2001: what was he Steve?
Mxy2001: was he a little bitty teen in a sentient ship?
Lightles: He was a boneless jellyfish like alien
Lightles: ugly as hell
Lightles: with organs visible through his skin
BungleHex: Quislet was a TV executive?
Lightles: I was never really certain that Tellus was male
Lightles: He/she may have been more of an it
KWinDC: that would have been interesting
Mxy2001: asexual reproduction?
KWinDC: oh was Tellus going to be more...i dont know bent as it were
Lightles: So unlike us that sexual identity needn't apply
Lightles: I lost all interest in Quislet when they told that bogus origin
KWinDC: why didnt they go w/ your idea?
Lightles: it made no sense to have him a sentient spark
Lightles: it was redundant ... they already had Wildfire
Lightles: And it just wasn't logical that an energy being would build a technological ship
Lightles: with a visual symbol on it
Lightles: Sparks don't have eyes. >>

There's a little bit more on the subject over on that thread. I did neglect to mention that Quislet's physical form also included prominent sensory organs (such as eyes)and reproductive organs. His society was very hedonistic by nature. Everything revolved around the physical senses. You can sort of see why he wasn't seen outside his ship/life support vessel. But, dang it, it's not Quislet's fault that he doesn't appeal to the human ladies! : )

Steve Lightle

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowplay in Candlelight:
^^^
I don't think it was 'just' jealousy.

When a woman uses those tactics when she doesn't have to, she cheapens women's abilities to make a difference on their own merits, without a man's covering of power.

The only time a woman should legitmately use her sexuality for manipulation is when the 'rules' of society don't allow her any other choice but impotence.
IMO.

As has been stated by Steve, already, Nura was brilliant and a good fighter.
Her sexual manipulations and her mental self-involvement were insults to women, and to beautiful women, especially.

Shady

When did Nura actually manipulate anyone, using her sexaul prowess? I claim that all she really did was flirt with the boys. She wasn't trying to get anything out of it. She was just having fun. Even when she first met the Legion, she didn't do anything particularly sexual to get the guys to vote her in. All she did was look good. The girls voted her out just because she looked good. Granted, the writing for the girls back in the 60s was abominable, especially by today's standards, but I say Dreamy was innocent. She didn't promise any of the boys any favors or anything like that. Also, I don't think Nura was ever rude to any of the other girl Legionnaires. Even the catty Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass. Maybe all this belongs on the new Nura thread, but I really would like someone to point out exactly what Nura did to earn this reputation.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
But, dang it, it's not Quislet's fault that he doesn't appeal to the human ladies! : )

Too bad we'll never know now -- it's not like he ever had a chance. For all we know, the enlightened ladies of the 30th century might've been able to see beyond his squishy form (and if not, I'm sure there were inflatable boy-toys he could've inhabited [Wink])

------------------
"GL : Animated" and others
Hal Jordan - Green Lantern (artwork)

Hey you -- Go read "The Legion" (starring WILDFIRE!)
--- Some Legion art

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Hmmm, I'm beginning to understand Shady's objection to a particular version of Nura. It sounds like the current Nura has a lot to offer.

Steve

Hey, Shady....let's not let it go without comment that STEVE LIGHTLE called you "Shady"! I'm so jealous!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^
Yes, I had to reread that comment a couple of times before I figured out what he was saying. I kept associating Tasmia with his 'Shady' and couldn't make the sentence make any sense.

Then, I blushed and beamed!
[Biggrin]

Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
[sigh] Maybe someday Steve'll call me "Lardy"... [Wink]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chosen One
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry but did Steve decide on a name for "Tiger girl" yet?

------------------
Jenny:"Okay, so this Master guy tried to open the Hellmouth, but he got stuck in it. And now all the signs are reading that he's going to get out, which opens the Hellmouth, which ends the world."

Giles:"Yes. That about sums it up, yes."

Jenny:"The part that gets me, though, is where Buffy is the Vampire Slayer. She's so little."

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 1, "Prophecy Girl"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

No name for "Tiger Girl" yet.

I know that a few suggestions were made, but none has struck me as THE name. We may have to wait on this one ...

Anyone got some other ideas they'd like to chuck into the ol' hat?

As Silver Age as it sounds, if we don't get some inspiration going, I think she's just going to have to be "that cute, red skinned Tiger Girl."

Steve

SteveLightle

Eryk Davis Ester writes:

<< when you do your fill-in issue(s), could you work the "Skreaks" into the background somewhere? >>

I don't see any opportunity to fit them into my first issue ... but maybe in my second one, if the script permits.

Steve

SteveLightle

By the way ...

How's it going, Lardy?

I just couldn't resist.

Steve

Chosen One
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

I know that a few suggestions were made, but none has struck me as THE name. We may have to wait on this one ...

As Silver Age as it sounds, if we don't get some inspiration going, I think she's just going to have to be "that cute, red skinned Tiger Girl."

Steve

How about Tigress or Catseye (the code name is no longer used)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
How about:

Cattitude
Purrfection
Felinity

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Steve

Hey Steve,

How about "Prowl"? I've always thought it fitting for a feline/stealth-like character.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
How about "Prowl"? I've always thought it fitting for a feline/stealth-like character.

I like that name (my favorite Transformer [Wink]). Regardless of the codename, her civilian name should be Toni [Smile]

And since this is the DCU, is there anything preventing her from taking the name "Cat-woman" or "Huntress"?

------------------
"GL : Animated" and others
Hal Jordan - Green Lantern (artwork)

Hey you -- Go read "The Legion" (starring WILDFIRE!)
--- Some Legion art

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.