Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
DavidEdwardMartin said:
<< When the Quislet-induced energy vacates, the target automatically reverts to its original state. Unfortunately the now absence of an innate pattern causes the atoms of the target to fall apart as a fine dust that quickly blows away >>

That is an incredibly well thought out theory, David. For my money, your explanation is the best we've got. I'm impressed.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
I think that the only continuity problem might be that post-Crisis DC seemed to be saying that all alternate futures were merged .. but that just doesn't make much sense to me.

Steve

Yes, they discontinued the 'old' alternate futures/universes and replaced them with 'hypertime', as I understand it ~ which isn't very well. [Smile]

Here's a fan site where the current 'hypertime' universes is explained.
http://www.geocities.com/hypertime2000/index2.html

It's a 'cool' site and very interesting.

Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Shady; that site was a good read, although I admittedly still don't understand hypertime very well. Oh well. [Smile]

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks greatly, Steve.
If you want a free copy of the first book I wrote on superpowers, click here
http://www.rabunda.com/~super/dir.php?loc=resources/articles/index.html

and look for The Ultimate Powers Book.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

Oops. Try this--
http://www.rabunda.com/~super/index2.php

DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

Oops again. Skip the last post, go back to the preceding one--
Click on "Rules" in the top bar.
Then "Marvel Super Heroes (classic rules)".
Finally "Ultimate Powers Book" (downloading is automatic)

SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Comet King said (quite a while ago):
<< Okey dokey - now we can all see what Munchkin would have looked like hows about telling us how you planned for him to join the Legion? Was he intended to join circa Tellus or for the reboot with Allegra? >>

Munchkin, or Neutron as he prefered to be called, was originally going to be the youngest of the new members created for the reboot. I had this notion that this excitable kid with super powers would come in ready to become an overnight sensation. as you can tell, he was a bit geeky looking, but he had big plans of becoming a teen idol. His hero was Sun Boy. Dirk was always attracting girls in droves, and seemed to Munchkin to know what the whole super-hero game was all about.

After Brainy showed him a fragment of a Superman newsreel that had survived from the 21st century , Munchkin changed his whole image. The next day he surprised the other Legionnaires with the news that he was changing his name to SUPERBOY. He insisted on wearing a Superman costume and proclaiming himself the new "man of steel" ... but nobody really went for the idea. Eventually he'd give up the Superboy identity and go on to the next thing. I imagined that Munchkin was the kind of kid who couldn't stay with one thing for long ... He just had a hard time choosing between all the possibilities. The only thing that he didn't change his mind about was the name Munchkin. He hated it. But, since his buddy Dirk gave it to him he'd have to tolerate it ... begrudgingly.

This was all part of my early scripts for the Legionnaires reboot. Quislet was a member too, although with a slightly different personality, and a redesigned ship/life support vessel. He also was back to my original plan for the character ... he had a physical body that stayed inside the vessel at all times. Only his spirit force could exit the ship ... and then only for short periods of time. Karate Kid was also part of the team, as was Dream Girl and Ferro Lad.
It's a pity that those stories weren't printed. I had a lot of fun working on them.

Steve Lightle

macrab2
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macrab2   Email macrab2         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, Steve. Did you begin drawing any of these stories? Anything unpublished we can have a look at?

Mike

From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
draub
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for draub   Email draub         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
...Eventually he'd give up the Superboy identity and go on to the next thing. I imagined that Munchkin was the kind of kid who couldn't stay with one thing for long ... He just had a hard time choosing between all the possibilities...

Um...does that mean I have to change my name to Munchkin now? Throw in the "geeky" and you just described my life [Wink]

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
. . . Eventually he'd give up the Superboy identity and go on to the next thing. I imagined that Munchkin was the kind of kid who couldn't stay with one thing for long ...
Steve Lightle

Sounds a little like he had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)!
[Smile]

I've been wondering what your take is on the Legion we have now.
Are you at all familiar with where DnA have taken them this last 3 years?

What do you think of XS?

DnA have just taken Dreamer from ditz to awesome, haunted leader of 'joint worlds' freedom fighters and a Kundian trained martial artist!
(Thank Gawd, I hated her pre-boot.)

Umbra/Shady is an intense fighter, trained from infancy, powered with solid dark forces, when she wants, and an uber b-itchy attitude.

The winged Shikari is from another galaxy or universe and a new member, while Gear is substantially autotronic/bionic and a 'brother'.
The other black member is the new leader, Jazmin, and she has a 'time element' to her powers.
Just to mention a few of the new and old members.

What do you think of this team?

Shady

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Shady asks:
<< I've been wondering what your take is on the Legion we have now. >>

I have yet to read a full issue since the last batch of reference copies that were sent to me. That was reference for the LEGENDS of the LEGION covers that I did.

<< What do you think of XS? >>

I think XS is a great character, and I enjoyed taking about a week to pencil and ink an XS story a couple of years ago. It did feel a bit odd to me at first though, because she so completely resembles my character ALLEGRA, who was created in the planning stages of the reboot. But I just embraced the idea of being XS' "grandfather" and had a good time with it.

<< DnA have just taken Dreamer from ditz to awesome, haunted leader of 'joint worlds' freedom fighters and a Kundian trained martial artist! >>

It sounds like she's been treated respectfully, although I'd have to disagree with your defining the preboot Nura as a "ditz." I know that she had been interpreted poorly after the 5 year gap, but I don't blame the character for the fact that she seemed to be mishandled by the creative team. The Nura that I remember was very intelligent, a resourceful fighter (one of the Legion's best hand to hand combatants)... and incredibly manipulative. Dreamy always used her carefully sculptured image to her advantage. Brainiac 5 appreciated her intelligence, Karate Kid considered her one of his most accomplished students ... and the female Legionnaires despised her use of sexuality to get what she wanted ... especially because it almost always worked.

<< Umbra/Shady is an intense fighter, trained from infancy, powered with solid dark forces, when she wants, and an uber b-itchy attitude. >>

I've always had a fondness for Shadow Lass, while wondering if the character ever had been written to her full potential. I look forward to seeing this current incarnation. She may just have arrived.

<< The winged Shikari is from another galaxy or universe and a new member >>

I've seen drawings of the character, but that is somewhat like seeing someone from across a room. I don't really feel I know her yet.

I've loved the Legion characters and concepts for a long time, and my attraction to the series has never depended solely on how they were being treated by their creative team. I look at a series and I see its potential, and the Legion has always had great potential, even when it was being mishandled. There have been many periods in Legion publishing history where the book seemed to flounder creatively, either due to lack of commitment from the creators, or because of misunderstanding of the core concepts. From what I have heard, this doesn't appear to be one of those times.

When I was on the Legion, I was involved in every aspect of the series. I contributed to the personalities and the story content and designs. As I've said before, Paul Levitz was a very generous collaborator, and he allowed me to be deeply involved in all areas. That isn't always the case with writers. Some guard "their" characters very jealously. I can understand this because, on some level I still think of these characters as my characters. It's almost like they are your friends, or your children. You get to know them intimately, because you have to imagine yourself in their heads. You want them to be as real to you as possible so that you can , in turn, make them real to your readers.

I suppose I'm guarding myself a little bit, concerning the latest version of the Legion. You see, I've only been offered a fill-in issue at this point. Even I couldn't tell you how involved I am going to be allowed to be.

LLL!

Steve Lightle

The Doda Network
unregistered

....and the female Legionnaires despised her use of sexuality to get what she wanted ... especially because it almost always worked.

Steve there's an expression out today that fits what Nura could have said to them all
"You're Just Jealous" lol.

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

^^^
I don't think it was 'just' jealousy.

When a woman uses those tactics when she doesn't have to, she cheapens women's abilities to make a difference on their own merits, without a man's covering of power.

The only time a woman should legitmately use her sexuality for manipulation is when the 'rules' of society don't allow her any other choice but impotence.
IMO.

As has been stated by Steve, already, Nura was brilliant and a good fighter.
Her sexual manipulations and her mental self-involvement were insults to women, and to beautiful women, especially.

Shady

--------------------

Come, join me!

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Dream Girl is my favorite, and has been since I first started picking up LSH recent (at the time) back issues in 10- and 25-cent bins around 1984. I thought she was a hoot!

I'm going to start a thread for Nura like the "describe the character" threads that we had several months ago. If you'd like to discuss Miss Nal there too, I'll appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve,

It's great to hear about your fill-in. Let's hope it leads somewhere.

BTW, when Shady mentioned Nura being a "ditz," she was referring to her post-boot appearances starting with LEGIONNAIRES #43 (Dec 96).
The same issue that gave us a snake called Sensor and Shadow Lass as Umbra! She was called a narcoleptic fortune-teller with the real "last name of Schnappin." She appeared on and off after that as Star Boy's weird, flower-child like girlfriend.

Lucky for us, DnA gave her a personality closer to her roots in LEGION WORLDS #4 (Sept 01).

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.